Author Topic: have a c-leg how do you use a cross trainer  (Read 8406 times)

jmoore

have a c-leg how do you use a cross trainer
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
do you put it in free mode i guess i am afraid to try it that why because you have no control of the knee any help would be great thanks Jeff

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: have a c-leg how do you use a cross trainer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:09 AM »
Hi Jeff - I do not know what a cross trainer is, but I walk with a c-leg that once got stuck in free swing mode. I walked with it that way for a few days and did everything I normally do. I just had to pay attention to my walking and lock the knee when necessary with my muscles. Doing things like going up stairs or swinging my leg to get into a vehicle were a pain because the foot stayed behind. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:15:10 AM »
Jmoore, sound like you need to put a call in to the manufacture or you cpo and ask them, not being a AKA, and dont have a C-leg unable to say one way or other.
 Hope you find out and then post it on here for us,
you-all have a great day.

jmoore

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
hi herb and pl a cross trainer is those machines and the gym that you run in place and can use your arms lots of lol pl checked with cpo they did not know they never had anyone do that kind of stuff herb thats takes some real muscle control to walk in free swing mode i got another question for you getting into my truck is a pain with that c-leg it takes for ever for it to bend so you can get in, i load the toe and break the knee but as soon as you pick up your leg the foot swings forward got any suggestions thanks you guys jeff

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
Hi jeff - I drive a f-350 or a f-550 everyday. My prosthesis is on the left side. I keep the seat all the way back. I get in with my knee unbent and bend the knee after I am in. I put my right fist on the seat and my left hand either on top of the door or on the dash with my elbow hooked on the windshield post. I raise myself up and swing in with my right leg passing under my prosthesis. It is quick and easy. I also have a pick-up that does not have a running board and it is a little more effort to get into that truck because it is quite high. When I get in on the passenger side I put my right hand on the door arm rest and my left hand on the hand grip on the ceiling by the door, raise up, and swing in. You have a beautiful view at your house. My brother lived in Corvalis for years and I used to visit monthly when I lived in Seattle. I loved the seacoast in oregon. herb
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 06:57:56 AM by herb »

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »
Sounds like fun i am having everytime i get into my car and drag two legs into it. i have the seat all the way back and then turm my back to the seat and sit down and turn and start draging my right leg in and then my left. that is if i am not driving a long distance. for log distances i set down in the seat and take my legs of and throw them into the back seat if my wife is with me. if not i stand them up in the passenger seat and wrap the seat belt around them, i have pillows that i place infront of the drivers seat so that i can rest my stumps on them. it is more comfortabel driving that way.

jmoore

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »
hi herb well my problem is my amp leg is my right one it is a pain getting in i guess thats just the way it is going to be thank you for your comment on our back yard we love living in the country we are 14 miles from town and our house sits on top of a hill have a great view we been to Corvallis a few times we liked it there nice town and your right the Oregon coast line is great we love just driving up 101 along the coast.

jmoore

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:38:32 PM »
pl i was try to think on how to word this there is my first problem thinking lol i forget when i think i got  a pain in the a--  doing somthing there is someone out there  that has it harder then me thanks pl for all that you do for us newer amps and for the forum jeff

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
Jmoore, thanks that is what i am on here for is to help other amp's and  then also have fun doing it. :)

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »
Hi Pegleg Jack - last year I had my right knee replaced and for a few week I had to get into my truck pretty much the same way you do. Where there is a will there is a way.

Hi Jeff - I have a neighbor who is a right aka. He also drives a f-350 and he gets into his truck by swinging  his leg in with the knee straight. Do you have a running board? That makes it a lot easier to get in on a high truck. Keep trying different ways until you find an easy method. In my work I am in and out of my truck often more than 100 times in a day so I have gotten pretty good at it.  Herb

jmoore

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »
hi herb i was going to ask you it sounds that you walk up hills with your c-leg i am new at it what is the trick i saw a video it looks like you zig zag up a hill thats a pain i know i got to trust it beter then i do i have real steep hills going down the hill is not to bad again got to trust it more then i do any ideas would be great thanks jeff

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
Hi Jeff I get a lot of practice walking up hills and mountains here in NH. My land is very hilly. I am not sure exactly how I do it. I think the biggest thing is strengthening the muscles in your residual leg. I do not use the zig zag method. I go straight up a hill unless it is extremely steep. I propel myself forward with my good leg, roll forward on my prosthetic foot, and then put a lot of power into my prosthesis so that my body gets ahead of my prosthesis, and land forward on my good leg. I have an advantage because my residual leg is long and I am in good shape due to the physical work I do. Hills gave a lot of trouble the first year or two after my amputation. I took  a lot of falls in my first year going down hills and on sudden terrain changes, while I was learning to walk with a mauch knee. Herb

jmoore

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »
hi herb i am like you got a long residual limb so it does help boy it kicks your butt walking up those blanked blank hills lol i found tho my endurance is getting allot better i seam to fall going up the hill what what happens to me is my foot drags up the hill and i catch it on stuff it seems so far for me is to side step up the hill i guess it is really just trail and error and what ever works i guess i will get it figured out i hope i do not roll down my hill lol came close a few times already thanks jeff

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
Hi Jeff - I have the same problem as you. I am in the woods a lot and frequently catch my prosthetic foot on vines and it does not go where I expect it to. I concentrate on feeling with my prosthetic foot, but it is just not the same. I climb in and out of a rack body truck frequently. When I am getting off I swing my prosthesis back and land my foot on the truck tire that I can not see. I never know if my foot has a good enough grip on the tire to climb down. Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
Hey, i have that trouble just walking acrossed a flat floor, at times i get lazy and dont pick my foot up high enough and catch the toe of my shoe and has at times took me down, and being a bilateral i too have fallen going up hill more than down and feel it is as i stated above. for some reason unknown to me yet we dont lift our phony leg ( as i call mine) up high enough to clear what is in front of us