Author Topic: Do many people gainweight after amputation?  (Read 7504 times)

snowbear

Do many people gainweight after amputation?
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
I have a friend who's husband lost his leg above the knee 2 years ago..She said he has gained a allot of weight since. I have not gained weight in the almost 5 years I lost my leg. But lost weight from the operations and trauma. I have since gained my original weigh back..All but 5 pounds..My question is some people are not as active after a amputation is the reason why one may gain weight..has nay one had this problem. He is now border line diabetic and his good leg is at risk  now too. Any suggestions?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Do many people gainweight after amputation?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:36:49 PM »
Snowbear, that has been one of my biggest problems since my amputations, during the winter when i am not real active or using my pool that much my weight jumps up to around 235 and then after i start using the pool it usually goes back down to 200, before i had my amputations i weight around 185 to 195, don't know about other on here but yes i did gain weight and some time it bothers me and has and impound effect on my knees.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »
Thanks Pegleg..I know many amputees have this issue it must effect the socket..I have not gained or lost but I have changed shape and shrunk by 1" it will be 5 years this July..and my current leg is 3 years old. I'm in the process of having another one made..I'm up to 12 ply socks..very uncomfortable and the positioning is driving me nuts!

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
It is a constant battle for me to keep my weight within a 5 - 10 lb range. My sockets become my signal when I have trouble getting totally in. I agree pegleg, I tend to gain weight over the winter and have to lose weight in the spring. I'm half way to my goal this spring. I managed to lose 20 lbs during fittings for my last set of legs, last year, but gained about 8 - 10 lbs since then and am working at getting back to my lowest weight again. It definitely is more difficult for amputees to remain active and as I get older it becomes more difficult. Being a BAK limits the types of exercise I can do, but I'm trying to maintain 1 - 1 1/2 hours of exercise, four to five days a week. Of course, pushing back from the table is still one of the most effective exercises! :) But, I sure miss eating as much and as often as I'd like.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
Hi Snowbear - My weight has gone up about 15 pounds in the 8 years since my amputation. I love to eat and try to skip breakfast or combine it with lunch to try to keep my daily calorie intake down. That has helped a lot because I love to eat a huge breakfast.  I also found that in the first 5 years after my amputation, I found myself gradually increasing my daily wine intake. I had to force myself to put strict limitations on that and that helped me lose some weight. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
I have stayed the same. I'm finally back to my originally weight of 125-127 pounds. I went down to 98 pounds 5 year's ago from my amputation. I also had a nasty virus then too. I'm 5"7 so my weight is not what it should be I was 130 before the big chop!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »
since my last operation and have been in my chiar i am afraid to kneel on the scales and just see how much i have but on. i know that i am up cause i can feel it.

Snowbear, would love to get back down to around 180, right now i am at about 235, so you can see i  need to loose a few

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
Hey PLJ as long as your healthy. And if we loose or gain weight its a whole new issue with the fit of our legs. Thanks you have a good evening too.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
I lost a substantial amount of weight after my amputation. Mostly due to depression. I accepted my fate and was ready to die. I still don't know why I survived. No one does.

I gained about 20 pounds after my open heart surgery. They said it was due to the drugs. Tell your friend to have a long talk with her husband and find a diet they both can live with. I only have one meal a day and it's limited to chicken or fish.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »
HEY ALL, just stepped, or should say  kn eeled on the scales last night and i am down to 224 from 235,  and havent change much of anything other than going off my blood pressure meds. am sleeping better and longer at night and the wife says i have stopped a lot of my snoring, they say if you get a good night sleep that you can lose weight so i quess they are right for i have.

Joe A. it is good to hear that you are gaining wieght agian, have talked to a few open heart surgery patients and they said that they all lost wieght at frist and then manage to gain it back, and they had more energy after getting it back, so take care there and have fun with your chicken and fish, there must be a million ways to cook both of them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:58:22 PM by pegleg jack »

snowbear

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 07:54:54 AM »
We amputees are so limited to exercise. I can ride a bike and I'm active at work with the kids. But wish I could do more to exercise just to tone up. I'm 5" 7 and 127 pounds. I like to keep it under 130 pounds. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »
Snowbear, will try and discribe the excersices they had me doing after i got out of the hospital and was at home.

1. lay a blanket down on the floor over you carpet
2. lay on you right side and lift you left leg up and do it 5 - 10 times
3. lay on you left side and do the same thing
4. lay on your back and lift both legs and then spread them as far as you can, holding them up off the floor.
5. while still on your back, try and lift your upper body up as high as you can 5-10 times
6. lay on your stomach and then try to raise your legs and head at the same time arching your back 5-10 times
7. set up and have you back agianst a coutch and the try to reach out and touch you toes on your good leg, 5-10 times

Did this every other day for about two months and i did loose wieght and felt better, but always remember to give your self on day off to heal and let your muscles relax.

I got up to where i  was doing 30 of each and now i know i am going to have to go back to doing it agian, although since i got off of my high blood pressure med i have lost about 10# and am sleeping a whole lot better, it is know fact that if you sleep real good you can actually lose wieght. Just how it works dosent make sense to me.

snowbear

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 10:43:18 AM »
Thanks PLJ! I have also heard hula hooping 10 minutes a day helps.