Author Topic: Interesting Reading - Limb Regeneration  (Read 3468 times)

Offline frank

• View Profile
Interesting Reading - Limb Regeneration
« on: April 25, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=regrowing-human-limbs

I realize this is still basic research but we can dream. It is also nice to see DARPA funding being put to such good use.

teo

Re: Interesting Reading - Limb Regeneration
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »
I've been reading about regenerative medicine and stem cell research ever since I became an amputee.  I guess in time, we can hope to grow our legs/arms back again.  But it will take few more decades before it becomes a reality.  I hope to live long enough to regrow my leg.  With state of art prosthetic and all, it still sucks to be an amputee.   :-\

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »
I've been reading about regenerative medicine and stem cell research ever since I became an amputee.  I guess in time, we can hope to grow our legs/arms back again.  But it will take few more decades before it becomes a reality.  I hope to live long enough to regrow my leg.  With state of art prosthetic and all, it still sucks to be an amputee.   :-\

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"teo"

I don't care what you use it can't compete w/ what GOD gave us, can it.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
Some amphibians can 'regrow' limbs, but can you imagine if it was possible for humans...

What would we do doing the regrowth stage? When I first became an amputee in the 70's there was research going on into the regrowth of limbs, but I wondered if the body had 'memory' that would allow the limbs to regrow to their old length, or would you be lopsided? :) And what about your socket fit during the regrowth? How would your prosthetist fit a foot into the bottom of the socket? Not to mention, how long would it take, and how many adjustments to the sockets would be required during the regrowth period, or would you just not wear any prosthetis during the regrowth?

So if you think that being an amputee sucks Teo, the 10 to 15 years that you originally took to grow your legs to full length, would definitely suck if it took another 10 to 15 years for them to grow back! I think at my age, 64, I'll just stick to walking with my two AK prosthesis. It may not be perfect but it definitely doesn't suck totally. But then again, I'm a believer in the glass half full... not empty. 
Peter
BAK since '74

teo

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:05:43 AM »
Actually pyourke, I've read an article where a scientist was guestimating that it would roughly take about a year to grow a complete leg for humans.  I don't know how she came to that conclusion but that's what I've read.  When U.S. military is investing something like 78 million dollars, I guess regrowing limb isn't so far fatched anymore.   

Scientists are at a stage where they can regrow some internal organs like bladder, and they actually do have experimental powder that regrew a finger in one old man.  Very interesting stuff. 

Before I kick the bucket, I really really do want to grow my leg.  who know?  20~30 years from now, that may become a reality.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:37:42 AM by pegleg jack »

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
It would be nice to have my feet agian, the biggest thing i miss is walking out in the yard bare footed and walking through some soft mud and the feeling of it squeezing between my toes.

So i think that i will just remain the way i am and meet up with my legs when and if i get up there and find them.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
Hi Teo - your suggestion for god makes a pretty strong assumption that may be fallacious.  Herb
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 09:35:28 PM by herb »

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:41:07 PM »
"Teo"

You are right !!  I would love to have my leg back before I am gone from this earth...and that would be a truly glorious day.  I'm all for any science that would permit me the opportunity to regenerate it....I could name hundreds' of reasons.

As to your fallacy concerning GOD.  You are an adult {aren't you} since I am assuming you are; couldn't you use better language.  :(  You do not have to be offensive to the rest of the forum

;)
ann

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
What struck me about the Scientific American article was how the researchers were systematically identifying the function of each cell type needed for successful regeneration and identifying whether those functions exist in the mammal/human. In this case the fact that we share such a high percentage of lower function genes with the reptiles & amphibians is a wonderful bonus.

Given the impact this would have on medicine beyond limb regeneration, there should be a fundraising campaign. I'm thinking cute little salamander lapel pins.

On a side note, our cat loves to hunt the fence lizards in our yard. She doesn't kill them, just loves to bring them in the house and set them free. Well, more often than not the lizards shed their tail and she brings in a twitching tail. Our yard is full of lizards with tails in various stages of regeneration.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
"frank"

Wouldn't it be wonderful if science could actually do limb regeneration or enough stem cell research for it to happen !!  I am almost certain it won't happen in our lifetime though   :(

~      ~~            ~~        ~~        ~~         ~~         ~~         ~~         ~~         ~~          ~~

I have a cat who brings in field mice {plays w/them} and watches them run off.  He will do the same with small rabbits.  Isn't that odd?

:)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
OH WOW! I just said to my husband the other day..I wish we could grow a new healthy limb when we loose one. This would be so cool and awesome..I can not imagine but I can dream.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:46:48 AM »

Yesterday on Fox News they were telling about injecting cells into the eye for blind people & it regenerated the retina to help them see.  Great news!  If they can do that, maybe there is hope.
 ;) ann

snowbear

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
Can you imagine a whole New perfect or almost perfect leg? WOW something I dreamed of since I was a child!