Author Topic: Teo or others with MAS Socket  (Read 3586 times)

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
Teo or others with MAS Socket
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »
Teo,
I understand that you have a MAS socket.  I'm interested in getting one.
Apparently, there is only one person who is trained for the MAS technology in India.
Anyway, how long is stump?  Or how high is it from your knee (i mean, where your knee would have been!!)

I'm a good 6-8 away from the knee.  Is that good for a MAS socket.
I will meet with this guy in 2 months time, but it's good to know what others have experienced.

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

teo

Re: Teo or others with MAS Socket
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:34 AM »
My stump is not short or long.  I was amputated through the knee initially and was amputated again above the knee with prosthetic in mind so I guess my stump is ideal in lengh?

MAS is a new design and apparently, measurement needs to be very accurate.  Otherwise, it doesn't work. If it's done right, it's very comfortable and gives you added arrange of motions. 

jmoore

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
hi king rocky had my mas now for about 7 months or so i love it like teo said it has to have accurate measurements or it is going to feel bad it feels like the socket is part of your leg the only probably with it is the ear it has a break in time it is like a bicycle seat got to get use to it good luck

teo

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
oh yeah, jmoore,

now that you mention it, MAS does feel like its part of my leg, especially when I am sitting.  I forget I am wearing a socket.  MAS is truly amazing.  Too bad there are so few CPs who know how to do it properly.  I did not have to get used to mine at all.  From day one, it felt so comfortable & perfect. 

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:43:42 AM »
Hi Teo - I am curious as why you had your knee disarticulation revised. There are numerous people who use my prosthetist for legs who have knee disarticulations and they are all very happy with their results. That is the type of amputation that I have and I chose it even though my surgeon wanted to do a higher cut. The extra length gives me a lot of leverage for walking easily up hills. My quadsets were attached to the end of my femur so they would continue to be functional. The only reason my surgeon told me he wanted to cut higher was for the aesthetics of the knees being at the same height. Herb

jmoore

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
hi teo they clip or locked the ear more on the inside of the tail bone i mean around the tail bone it took only a few weeks to break it in, the first few mas i had where different did not have a good lock and it was very comfortable now it is back to be comforable just had to break it in lol they way they locked this time i feel i have more control then before your right they are a great socket and you can do things that you can not do with other sockets it is nice to be able to sit and forget that you have a socket on.

teo

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 02:02:38 PM »
herb, I have no idea. ???  I mean I was so sick from internal injuries (I was involved in roll over accident which killed my friend & I somehow survived) and there were lots of other things going on at the time.  I was operated by Dr. Thomas Scalia at Shock Trauma who is one of the best trauma surgeon in the U.S.  (One of the reasons I am alive today.)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 02:56:53 PM »
Hi Teo - thanks. I had to try 3 surgeons before I found one that would do the knee disarticulation. The one that did it for me said he does hundreds of ak amputations and usually does a guilotine type cut in 1/2 hour or less. My surgery took 4 hours but came out well. I had the luxury of researching the surgery and consulted a prosthetist who also recommended the knee disarticulation. I had three massive fractures in my femur and the other surgeons wanted to cut very high so as to be over all the plates and screws in my femur. I also have a lot of skin grafts that were potential problems that they wanted to get rid of. Herb

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:33:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for your response.
I was out of connectivity for the last 10 days, just got back on - in a different city, in a different location.  Thankfully near a Prosthetist, who can design a MAS socket.
I'd really like one, as this one is causing lot of irritations on my groin area.  It's so sore, that I can hardly walk without discomfort.  It's just ridiculous to have someone fit you a prosthesis and cause it to hurt so bad and not feel anything about it.
I wish the mas one really works out!!
Since I've had polio on that leg, I wish the muscles would hold on to the MAS socket.  It's going to be another week or two, before I try and visit the prosthetist.

Will keep you all posted.

Like Teo says, I was so traumatized when I was told that I need to be amputated ... and the doctors saying that the technology as so well developed that there was an amputee climbing Mt. Everest, etc.  I didn't even think about the cost of going above knee, though knee disarticulation could have been a possibility for me.
The doctor who attended on me was very blunt in his approach and wouldn't hear anyone else on this topic.  They wouldn't let me consult a prosthetist or do some research.
But all said, I think I'm glad that I'm still alive ....

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

jmoore

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
hi king rocky hey you will love your mas socket it is so differant i had a modify ic socket and it just plain hurt my butt bone now it nice to want to put your leg on on you mas they can cut parts of it out like on mine i have a big front piece cut out and a small section in the back so when you sit both your feet our on the ground well good luck jeff