Author Topic: Recipe Request!  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Recipe Request!
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:51:10 PM »
Ok, I know this is an amputee forum, but I need good, healthy recipies for my new lifestyle.  I've done very well until yesterday when Hubby and I celebrated Valentine's Day with two (not one!) bottles of pink champagne.

Ok, I forgive myself and move forward.  Only a little blip on the radar.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline billf

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Request!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
Beware!

Loosing weight means only one thing------------------your socket will no longer fit!

BillF
lbk

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
The only way i know of to loose weight is to be able to push yourself away from the table and exercise and exercise more. and i have to admit i haven't done either one in the last couple of months and have put on about 12#

you-all have a great day.

Offline dotson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
Please don't anyone take this personal because I'm just now learning, but it looks like the spelling corrector isn't working.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
Well you see it's kind of like this you know. A Spellchecker is a lot like a fine woman. You've got to know what to click on to make everything work.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 06:07:40 PM »
Joe you are interesting!  Fortunately for me, I'm not a raving feminist.  And tis very true, you fellows would fare well to know the proper clicks!

BillF, Indeedy I do know that I will need a new socket.  That's an unfortunate consequence of losing weight.  My current socket fits so well, I'm afraid to go for a new one.  I had bad experiences with my first prosthetist.  I'm glad I have new guys who are willing to listen to the client...

Pegleg, I'm doing well in the not eating so much category.  I've lost nearly 19 pounds since January 1.  The exercise part is the hardest part for me.  This is why I need to lose weight, so I can walk farther.  In the springtime, I'm going to bring my bike back out.  I bought a recumbent three-wheeler last spring and didn't use it very much.  I think I'll do better this year, since I've already lost a bit of weight and have given up the smokes.

Dieting for me is every bit related to being an amputee...  I weigh way too much and it's hard for me to get around well.  If I'm going to a big store or a festival, then I must take a wheelchair.  My goal is to dump the wheelchair and be able to walk where ever it is I want to walk.  I think this is a worthy goal.

What I've done is to revamp how I eat.  I'm now chopping up tons of squash, peppers, and etc and baking these with fish or chicken.  I eat a bit of rice on the side.  I eat oatmeal (or porridge as it's called in the UK) for breakfast.  I'm using a lot more cabbage and I'm surprised at how much better I feel.  Hubby and I both agreed, we didn't like the way we felt waking up after the pink champagne festival last evening - even though it seemed fun at the time!

PS.  I just used spell check (and it never recognizes "prosthetist"!!) and it seemed to work for me.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 04:26:40 AM »
Marilyn:

Once again, hat's off to you!  I admire your ability to get that weught off.  Now if I had the wllpower to adopt your lifestyle, there'd be less of me to launch every time I get up.

Something tells me if you get off all the #s you want to, you'll be all too willing to go thru the hassle of a new socket, right?  I know I would.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
MARILYN, on the lighter side on cabbage, i love it but it gasses me up something terrible and i wind up chasing the wife out of the house at times.

Sounds like you have it all  under control so keep up the good work and you will meet your goal.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
Marilyn,  You give me hope.  I've been trying to lose some weight.  I never had a problem with weight before.  I don't know if its less exercise (because of amp) or old age (lol).  The hard part is eating is one of the good things in life.  How come food that tastes good (chocolate, chips, cookies etc) isn't good for you and food that is good for you doesn't taste as good??  I guess if I could answer that question, I would solve one of the worlds mysteries! Annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
Pegleg, my husband and I are filling up on waaaay more fiber and etc than our bodies were used to.  I can't wait til summer when we can grow all the summer squash and etc that is costing us a fortune in mid winter!!  It's a good thing he works each day and we can get away from each other for at least 8 hours!

Annie, I'm a veteran dieter.  I've always had to watch my weight.  I will say it is harder now than ever because of less activity and I'm older (52 and holding!).  The thing I'm doing differently now is not considering this a diet.  This is just the way we eat.

You guys would probably not want to know what I've invented for dinner tonite (but of course I'm going to tell you):  I cooked up some ground turkey with onions, all broken up.  Dumped in some taco seasoning powder.  Added some pinto beans and two cans of diced tomatoes with peppers.  I heated up this mess.

Then I finely shredded a half head of cabbage.  I've layered the taco/meat/bean mixture with the cabbage in a lasagne dish and I'm baking this for 1 hour at 350 covered.

I'll let you know if this is truly disgusting or an inspired miracle.

See why I need recipies!?   ;)
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »
MARILYN,  say that sounds wild and i just may get the wife to try it and maybe add a few thing to yet,

Here is one that i like, but has meat in it;

1# ground round
1 cup macaroni
2 tomato's diced

cook the macaroni and ground round first in separate pots and then add all three togeather in a big skillet and heat

P.S. love thiis spell check on here

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
Pegleg, I could use your recipe and just use the whole wheat macaroni instead of the enriched macaroni I've used my whole life. I'll spice it up with hot pepper flakes! Generally, I found I can take recipes and modify them with good results. 

And, of course, there is always that "moderation in everything" business!!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 12:43:19 PM »
PS, as gross as my cabbage recipe sounded, it was actually very good.  Just envision a healthy chili with shredded cabbage!  The cabbage soaks up the tomato flavor and was not soggy, so it just added a tasty crunch.

AND cabbage is one of those healthy foods that in addition to containing vitamins and minerals, it uses more calories to digest than what it contains!!  Whoo hoo!
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »
Ok. First of all I'm not interesting. I'm more of a curiostiy like driving past a car wreck. You don't want to look but find yourself strangely compelled. Often asking yourself, "How does he know that?"

Do a search for Leptin
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
Joe, not to be contrary, but I find you infinitely interesting.  That's a good thing.  I bore easily (and probably bore others even more so).

I looked up Leptin.  Interesting.  Looks like the best things I can do to exercise control over appetite and the metabolic processes going on inside are to eat regularly and to consume the approx same amount of calories in each meal.  I've only recently begun to study nutrition.  I'm  studying and any and all avenues of dietary health are taken into account.

Lest you folks think I'm starving my poor husband (who had a heart attack over a year ago and needs to lose weight as well!), we are having nice fillets of tilapia, baked in lemon juice and Old Bay spices, asparagus, and small baked potatoes.
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA