Author Topic: Hanger Prosthetics victimize unsuspecting amputees  (Read 3697 times)

teo

Hanger Prosthetics victimize unsuspecting amputees
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:39:35 PM »

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Hanger Prosthetics victimize unsuspecting amputees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:07:12 AM »
teo:

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Hanger.  I've never used them, and yes I know Joe A.  called them "evil hanger".  As I see it, Hanger is like the Wal-Mart of the prosthetic industry - many outlets and many employees.  It is unfortunate that your hospital steered you only to them.

After my first amputation, I was given the names of two prosthetic outfits in town I could choose from.  They never give just one name.  Hanger wasn't mentioned, although there is one not far away.  Compared to the massive "Wal-Mart Hanger", my prosthetist is a small local outfit - bigger than a mom-and-pop affair, but small enough to know their customers.

Surely some people have found a good prosthetist at Hanger and are happy with the service.  But apparently with a company that big experiences vary widely from place to place - person to person.

But, anytime you're not happy with the results and not confident in the practitioner, it's time to start shopping for a second opinion.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »
Personally Hanger for me has been a god sent! have absolutely no complaints..Its the first jerk who totally messed me up by having me wear up to 32 ply socks when I was a new amputee..Not knowing any different I through I was doing good by that..He did not want to make a new socket, he was rude and mean and made fun of the way I walked? I switched over to Hanger and it was the best thing I ever did..Tom my prosthetist is a wonderful caring protitist and will listen to me and do all he can to make me comfortable..

From being inal those socks I could not shrink down and I was 1 year behind in my healing..Not all Hanger prosthetics are the same.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »
I went through the same process "Teo" did....not good!!!  I (of course) knew nothing about being an amputee & was sent directly to Hanger.  They even came to my room in the hospital right after my amputation.

I wasn't given any choice either.  Only after I joined some amp. forums did I find out they really is a life after amputation.  I went through H--l.  He {prosthesist} never told me anything about walking, etc.  It was always his way & listen to my complaints  :(  no way.

I finally had to write the head office of Hanger to get any satisfaction!!! 

On the other hand "snowbear" got a really good prosthesist from Hanger.  It really is the person.  But I think they need to take alot more interest in who they hire.  My opinion is SOME people never will be any good; just like in any job.  Some people really don't care...they just want a job.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
Thats exactly it Ann. As in any profession some people do it just for the work and pay check and some are truly committed and love what they do..The ones who love what they do are much better ant their professions.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
Like most, I was not given an option or told of other options.  I was just told someone was coming in to mold my foot.  Wasn't Hanger but was another large firm.  They never completed the work but still charged me and the insurance company.  I ended up at Hanger where I had a good prosthetist.  He did a very good job and was very supportive - helped that he was an amp.  I have since moved on to another company, a small local firm which has since been merged into a somewhat larger local firm.  The guy that did my current orthoses, although not an amp, is really good and knowledgeable.  So, I have to agree that people make the company not the other way around. 

I didn't realize that Hanger was a franchise business.  Obviously the franchiser isn't paying too much attention to what at least some of their franchisees are doing given the number of complaints.   

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
Me too! I was appointed the first prosthetist and he came to the hospital the day of my of my surgery after my amputation.. I was not given a choice either..BUT after 1 year with the idiot I learned to look for another and found Hanger! Boy am I did! The best thing I did for myself.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
Thats exactly it Ann. As in any profession some people do it just for the work and pay check and some are truly committed and love what they do..The ones who love what they do are much better ant their professions.

"Snowbear" you got that right.  I am just glad I finally had enough guts {not a very nice word} for a lady to take Mike on.

Have a nice evening...we have worked outside all day....starting our pond; mowing; weed-eating, etc. and it's really hot here.  Wasn't supposed to be, but it is.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 07:10:11 PM »
My husband has been working outside too! getting ready for spring and summer..I sit and watch! :) I keep the inside up! You have a great evening too! Its good to be back here!