Author Topic: Do you wear your leg at the beach??  (Read 1390 times)

Offline beth

• View Profile
Do you wear your leg at the beach??
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:34:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,
 I appreciated all the replies to my last post! Now our newest dilemma....what do you do at the beach? Leg off or on while on the beach jumping waves. are there any waterproof protective devices that are effective?
thanks!

snowbear

Re: Do you wear your leg at the beach??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »
I'm not a beach person and never was..But at a public poll or a friends or neighboors pool..I take it off inside when I put my suit on and hop or use my crutches to get to the pool..On a beach I think I may do the same. :)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »
Beth, am like Snowbear on this am not a beach person.

I take them off and put on my fins when i am in my pool. and i go into my pool house with my wheel chiar, then take my legs off and wheel over to the edge of the pool slide out of my chiar onto a mat and then into the pool and put on my fins and away i go and have fun loosing wieght and enjoying my pool.
you-all have a great day.

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
Beth,
The beach takes a little planning. I personally wear my leg to the beach and into the surf. I switch my everyday foot to a low end Sach type foot that is mostly sealed. Your prosthetist can show you how to do this without loosing alignment . I use a fairly stout sleeve (Durasleeve) to help keep the leg on. I also made a leash that attaches to my leg at the foot post and goes around my waist. Even so I keep an eye on the sleeve to make sure it does not start slipping when bodysurfing, etc.

I think you had a 4 year old boy. If the beach is sandy, you may want to have him keep the leg on if he's running around on the sand but then take it off and crawl into the water for now. You should talk to your prosthetist about setting up a leg for the beach. If you have an old socket that does not fit well enough for everyday use, your prosthetist may be able to set it up for the beach for fairly low cost. A low cost soft foot actually works better in the sand than a firm foot for everyday use.

You'll want to bring spares of things like liner/sleeve/socks so that you have a dry clean set to put on when leaving.

There is no reason not to enjoy the beach this summer.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »
Hi Beth - I go to the beach often and usually keep my leg on because my residual leg is covered with skin grafts and sun burns quickly. I go to the beach wearing my pegleg and sometimes slip out of that once I am in the water. I leave it at the water's edge but if I am at a crowded beach I always worry that kids will take it. If I am going to be on the beach for a long time reading I  take my leg off and keep a towel over my residual leg. Herb