Author Topic: liner length  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
liner length
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
Does anyone cut their liners to make them shorter?

Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: liner length
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:46:06 PM »
Hi Mitchie - my prosthetist once cut my liner to be a few inches below the top of my socket. The plastic of my inner socket so irritated my bare skin, that I had to stop using the liner. he also tried having me use no liner and I had a skin reaction over my entire residual leg. I may be alergic to the plastic that the inner socket is made of. Herb

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 11:14:03 PM »
Hi Mitchee,

My liner is about two inches above the side of my socket. I like it that way because any sock I wear is about one inch above the socket.

I find that this prevents irritation and cushions the top of the hard socket. You did not say Why do you need to cut the liner?

Dave S
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »
Hi,
  We have cut all my sons' liners. they wear very well, and we have never had any problem with them after they were cut.

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:01:57 AM »
Hello Mitchee.

Alpha liners are always way too long for me, so either I or the prosthetist cut them down, and EVERY time I get a rash, which if I ignore it lasts for months and chucks up itchy little spots behind my knee.

A way round it is to wear a stump sock or similar under the CUT portion of the liner, a few inches above and below. If you do this, you'll need to change it every day or two, as what happens is that the oil in the liner leaches out and turns the sock into an oil pad, which then transfers the oil to your leg, which takes you back to square one.

Why Mr.Alpha has to make his liners so darned long is beyond me. They would be the right size for someone eight-feet tall.

Allen, London, bka.

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:34 AM »
I have cut them down one time to short! ::) But I still cut it down I don't care for it to long  it rolls up to my Thai.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
Mitchee, did have to on my ICEROSS 3MM liner i had to cut about 3 inches off of them, but for some reason i haven't figured out yet on my 6MM i didn't have to.

And like Allen as stated, around the top edge i have a rash for a while until all the oil has bled out of them, have found that by wiping them down twice a week for about a month with rubbing alchol i can get the oil out them and the rash goes away
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »
Mitchee, I have cut mine down, but prefer mine longer...if I cut them acouple inches above my prosthesis it makes my leg very sore.

Everyone has their own preferences, I guess.

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies!!!  I was just curious as to why and how much is trimmed.    :)

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »
Once I cut mine way to short just over the knee...But when I sat down it buckled over the knee.. ???So now I do trim it buy not as short!

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
I have heard that when a liner is trimmed, it should be done so using a "wave" pattern rather than a straight cut.  In addition, the cut edge of the liner needs to be surfaced so as not to have a sharp cutoff.  The latter is especially important for persons wearing a sleeve and suction system over the top of the liner, to eliminate the sharp cut edge of the liner from being drawn into the thigh skin by the suction.

Has anyone heard or seen such a treatment to a liner that has been trimmed?

Notoes

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 12:56:52 PM »
No I never head of that...Even when my prosthetist trims it it with straight regular scissors

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »

"Notoes" my prosthetist always cuts mine with {looks like pinking shears} you use when sewing...he says it helps keep it from unraveling @ the top.  I don't know anything concerning the sharp edge being drawn into the thigh.

;)
ann

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
I read somewhere that there is a machine out there that cuts the liners properly with a bit of a bevelled edge (not just blunt), I think the same article also mentioned that the machine was a bit pricey but IMO at the price of a set of liners and the amount of people who now wear liners the cp's should make the effort to buy the proper gear, I mean isn't their equipment a  tax write off anyway?  I mentioned it to my cp once a long time ago but just got a blank look, I think they figure why bother when they can use a pair of scissors, but I seriously think it would make a huge difference, especially for people like me who wear a sleeve as well, I find that the blunt edge sometimes catches or binds with the sleeve and rolls over a bit at the top.

I used to cut my liners only an inch or two over the rim of my socket but have found as the past 8 years have ticked by and my limb atrophies that I now need to leave my liner way longer and have my sleeve almost to the top of my thigh to feel more secure.

anne

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 05:29:32 PM »
When I tried Ossur's seal-in-liners, my prosthetist had a special cutter that cut and bevelled the edges. I don't know if they are available to the public, but I guess you could check with Ossur.
Peter
BAK since '74