Author Topic: I need advice on running shoes  (Read 2020 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
I need advice on running shoes
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:16:08 PM »
Believe it or not I have been wearing my crocs for well over a year straight, even when it was -40 I wore them with two pairs of socks ha ha, but my good foot has seriously started to spread and although I have never worn anything more comfortable in my life, people keep saying that I might have serious problems later on because of their lack of support so now I need to find some running shoes.

My biggest problem is that I have a wide foot, but runners geared for wide feet usually have wide heels too and I must have a narrow heal as the shoes always slip up and down on my heal with every step.  I have tried glueing padding of moleskin on the sides of the heel to stop the rubbing to no avail.  I have also tried lacing the shoes up differently to try and keep the heel in place but it still doesn't work.

Add that to the problems of finding just the right heel height and also finding a shoe that is nice and light not clunky and heavy (crocs are only 3 oz) and I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill - any suggestions?

anne

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice on running shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »
Hi Anne.  I don't run (anymore) but I do have a wide foot.  I used to be a marathon runner.  My 'good' foot was wide before I elected to amputate my left foot.  I have always preferred to wear a men's style running shoe because men's shoes tend to have a wider foot (B or D).  To me, a men's B seems to be wider than a women's B.  Men's running shoes do not come in girl colors... pink, pastels, etc.  That doesn't bother me but I'm sure that it's important to some women.  I purchase men's running shoes manufactured by Adidas or New Balance.  They fit well and provide me with the support that I need.  I do not have a narrow heel.  I don't know how to help you on that issue.  Hopefully, someone else has good advice.  If not, I hope there are manufacturers that can accommodate you!  Best of luck!! 

Michelle
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
i get all my shoes from PAYLESS SHOE STORE and have had real good luck with them and not that expensive. i dont run much yet because of a bone spur on my left stump that may have to be cut off, cant really tell what brand name i am wearing right now, to much trouble to pull my jeans pant leg up and disconnect my leg to see just who made it,

but i do know the new ones i just got have a lot more spring in the sole than my last pair.
you-all have a great day.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
Hi Anne.  You might check out running shoes by Brooks.  I don't run but I have wide feet.  I am also a bilateral TMA so, like you, I have a tendency to walk out of shoes.  My shoes need to fit my toe inserts and orthoses.  I found that Brooks makes atheletic shoes that do a good job of meeting my needs.  I find them at better quality shoe stores as well as stores that sell orthotics and specialty footwear for diabetics and others with foot problems.  The word I usually hear is that Brooks are a high quality, durable shoe.

John

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »
I'd love to tell you the perfect shoe to wear.  Or web site to tell you to go to. But you need a good salesperson.

1) go to the library and get the Runner's World magazine that deals with selecting shoes, they do this once a year.

2) do their little test to show pronation.  wet your foot so it's damp, then step on a piece of paper (stand up), before it dries trace it.  This will show the salesperson and you if you pronate (over/under) and helps select the right shoe.

3) buy a good pair of shoes as suggested by the sales person at a quality running store.  You'll pay a bit more than online or discount stores, but you've paid a bit for their expert advice.  And that's got to be worth something.

Once you know what shoe works best for you, feels good, etc etc etc, then buy them at discount places.  My favorite online shoe store is eastbay.com I used to buy from them before they had a web site.

Hope this helps.
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, I have had several people comment on New Balance and Brooks. My cp has also started to sell shoes, I noticed that he had a sample display of shoes for diabetics, they had a nylon type stetchy material on the top so that they didn't put pressure on the toes, they looked comfy but not too attractive.  I should point out that in my original post I called them running shoes for lack of better words, I guess what I am really referring to is walking shoes as I am definitely not planning on running anywhere anytime soon, lol

anne

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
Anne,
Running shoes often have features you may not want. They tend to have more heel height and less stability than lower profile shoes such as walking, tennis, cross-training, or even basketball shoes. The fixes running shoes put in for things like pronation make them less stable. A good place to find walking/tennis/etc. shoes at a good price are places like Big-5 sporting goods or the SportsAuthority/Dicks sporting goods chains. I'm sure you can also find acceptable shoes through Costco/Wal-mart/Target. It won't be hard to find something that's better for your foot than the Crocs.

Offline tbrbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:24:19 PM »
Anne:
As a diabetic, I was told to look for shoes that had a wide and tall toe box.  Turns out that there aren't a lot out there that fit that criteria, especially if you avoid the diabetic shoes.  I buy off-the-shelf so it takes a bit longer to find good shoes.  But if you go to a good shoe store - one that specializes in shoes - and has a good selection, you will have better luck.  I have always had wide feet so I can appreciate your problem.  Now that I have a pair of orthoses that I need to fit into shoes, it is a much bigger problem. 

One thing you might want to look into is a store that specializes in wide shoes.  They aren't everywhere but I suspect that larger cities will likely have one or two.  Another option would be to look for custom-made shoes.  Expensive but you're more apt to get what you want.  I learned that spending more for a good quality shoe saves you more money over the long term and is more likely to better protect your feet.