Author Topic: what is your favorite type of cover?  (Read 3457 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
what is your favorite type of cover?
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:43:36 PM »
For those of you who like their pros leg covered, what kind of cover do you favor?  I have always had a molded foam with a nylon sheath on top of it and I really would like to switch it up a bit.  Many years ago my old cp gave me a "skinergy" cover which was like a vinyl roll up cover that looked awesome but the minute I took a step it kind of "breathed" in and out like a little bladder where the air was going in and out around the pin (I wear a pin lock) so it didn't last ten minutes.  What other options are there?

albi

snowbear

Re: what is your favorite type of cover?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
My first cover was awful! I was so disappointed..First the Burton which was bright blue was not covered than it was not at all the skin I picked out it was very shinny and so fake..I also have the pin lock system I'm in the process of getting a new socket...I prefer to have mine look as real as possible.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
For those of you who like their pros leg covered, what kind of cover do you favor?  I have always had a molded foam with a nylon sheath on top of it and I really would like to switch it up a bit.  Many years ago my old cp gave me a "skinergy" cover which was like a vinyl roll up cover that looked awesome but the minute I took a step it kind of "breathed" in and out like a little bladder where the air was going in and out around the pin (I wear a pin lock) so it didn't last ten minutes.  What other options are there?

albi

I have never been given a choice.  Mine is also molded foam with a nylon sheath over it. Am bilateral so its quite easy to match the colour up.

snowbear

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
You mean they don't give you a choice of skin textures and colors to choose from? they let me do that. they have a  skin swatch of colors to choose from to match it up to your real skin color..I'm a LBK.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »

I also picked out the color for mine.  It isn't exactly my coloring but as close as I could get to it..

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »
I don't think it will ever match our exact color but its a good match. No one notices unless I point it out.

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
Well, ladies.  Here's one advantage to being old geezer guy.  I'm not showing off my legs.  A pair of BK rpostheses, with  basic foam cosmesis with a plastic "skin" that approximtes my coloring.  But they always have nylon socks over them, then my dress socks and shoes.  The socket areas are covered with sleeves that extend up to my residual limbs.  Almost always wear long pants.  So, for me, as long as the prostheses approximate the shape of my original legs, who would know the difference?

So, for you women - especially younger women - I can understand your desire to have more natural-looking legs that you can use for various types of dress.

And besides, LOL, you gotta give us guys something nice to look at, right?  :)
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »
Thanks Dick...For me it is kind of a treat. As my real leg when I had it was very scared form many operations from infancy through adulthood that finally lead to amputation..I'm also enjoying buying one pair of shoes! as my feet were 4 size differences..I do love mine covered..Your right it is different for you men!

Offline JClark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 06:58:15 AM »
I've never opted for the cosmetic look.  I know, this thread is all about making it look natural.  But here's the thing.  I'm currently in a wheelchair with a cast on my real leg.  One footrest has a cast (bright pink) and the other has the prosthetic in all it's metal and composite materials. 

Yet people seem to be shocked when they ask about my leg and I point out there are two of them they might be asking about.  It's almost as though the prosthetic is camoflauged in some special material.  Seriously, there are people who've known me for 3 years who are just now discovering I'm an amputee.  And I wear shorts!

Maybe my CP put some sort of magic spell on my leg?
North-East Pennsylvania
+Left foot------------+Right foot---------------+
|Accident 8/31/2002 |ankle fusion 1/8/2008  |
|Amp 7/11/2003      | RBK (Ertl)    4/7/2010 |
|Ertl June 2005        |                                  |
+---------------------+-------------------------+

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
I think its a personal choice for some.What ever one feels comfortable with! :)

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
I'm a BAK so matching colour isn't a problem. My foam covers have a flesh coloured jersey cover and I wear flesh coloured stockings over them. Like some of the other guys, I always wear long pants so shape is what is important to me. I am considering wearing shorts this summer so we'll see if I get a reaction. I was offered a silicone(?) 'skin' over the foam, that Otto Bock custom adheres to the foam that looks like real skin, but it was quite expensive and if the cover ever has to be removed for adjustments it can be ruined and repairs apparently show. So, I decided to go low tech with foam covers and stockings and am quite satisfied with them.

My only concern is that I can't remove the valve without lowering my pants and rolling down the stocking. Previously, if I got air in the socket, I simply lifted the cuff of my pants above my knee and was able to remove the valve, stick my finger in to push the skin away from the opening and let the air out that was trapped inside. Pressing the valve button doesn't always let out small amounts of air when the skin is still touching the valve.
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »
You mean they don't give you a choice of skin textures and colors to choose from? they let me do that. they have a  skin swatch of colors to choose from to match it up to your real skin color..I'm a LBK.

Nope. nothing. Doesn't worry me too much being bilateral I am able to cover with tights/pop socks or whatever, I wear mid length skirts and amazingly very few people notice.

snowbear

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
Geese! did you ever ask for a choice ? It don't seem right. ??? ???

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »
I think I am missing a post,I replied to this yesterday but must have forgotten to hit "post", anyway I have never been given a choice of the color of nylon that covers the foam.  My cp only orders the one shade and it is a golden tan color which is much darker than my own skin so
I spend the rest of the summer using fake tanner on my good leg to try and make it match.  It's a real pain in the butt as I have to scrub it off every night so that it does not rub off on the bed sheets.  I am intrigued about this plastic type cover that otto bock makes to cover the foam, I will have to google tht.

albi

Offline allen-uk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:05:03 AM »
No covering at all. Ok, it's easier being a guy and living in cold UK, as most of the time we wear long trousers (pants).

But most of the covers I've seen look like covers, in the way that wigs look like wigs. Heather Mills ex-McCartney's look okay, but they cost $20,000, so I find it easier all round just to pull up a woollen sock over the pylon and then forget it.

Allen, London, bka.