Author Topic: Freedom Runway Foot - loud cracking noise?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
Freedom Runway Foot - loud cracking noise?
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
Well after a lot of delays, today was the day I got to try out the new runway freedom foot and what a disapointment.  First off I waited an extra week so the my cp could order the mans foot which matches my own wide foot better plus I am guessing the weight allowance was probably higher on the mans foot, so everything should have been tickety boo but not so.  I try out walking alongside the bars for safety with it being a new foot, anyway first thought was that there were no toes at all, basically felt like I was walking on 1/2 a foot which was a bit strange at first but I could adjust, then right out of the blue we hear this large "crack", I seriously thought I had broke the foot.

My cp takes a look and says "no, not broken, maybe caught between the slots that allow the ankle height to be changed" so he takes it and examines the foot and we try again, after about 50 steps "crack" again, so we make sure that it is well into the slot or whatever you want to call it and try again, then again with the "crack", in the end he could not let me take it home and said he would have to contact the manufacturer to see what's up, as he has never fitted a freedom runway foot before. I am sure my cp thinks I am just a pain in the butt, asking for this foot, but I really wanted to try it.  I did ask him if it was the right weight limit and he said that there should be no problem that way, he had already double checked that.  But seriously, when an overweight lady hears a large cracking sound coming from a brand new foot, it really does a number on her self confidence, ha ha, and I had been doing so well and managed to lose 20 lbs since Christmas!

Has anyone ever experienced this noise coming from a foot before, it is definitely something to do with the adjustable ankle height mechanism?

anne

snowbear

Re: Freedom Runway Foot - loud cracking noise?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »
The only time I had this loud noise was when my  prosthetic foot broke in half! I was at school (work) and all of  a sudden SNAP! my foot cracked in two..And boy was this a loud cracking noise.

Offline Jjbach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:20 AM »
The crack happened to me about 4 years ago usimg a foot I think was called arthoglide.  Same thing,m the foot broke in half.  Luckily I was at home.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
Gals, I am so discouraged   :(   I have wanted a runway foot for a long time...I finally got one & absolutely can't walk outside (On the ground) with it.

Do you think it's just not adjusted correctly or is it strictly for inside or sidewalk walking?

Marcus

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »
Has anyone ever experienced this noise coming from a foot before, it is definitely something to do with the adjustable ankle height mechanism?

Anne,

The cracking noise is normal for a brand new foot, and isn't something I'd worry about.  When they assemble the foot, they use a high tech yarn coated with epoxy, and wrap it around the toe and heel instead of bolting them together.  This makes a lighter, stronger connection than bolts.

What causes the noise is that sometimes a little bit of the epoxy will spread out from the wrap, and when you first use the foot, it will pop as it breaks loose from the foot (like cracking ice cubes loose from a tray).

If you put the foot into the highest heel setting and step hard on the toe, you might get it to crack one more time.  After that, it shouldn't make any more noises. 

Ann,

It would be a good idea to have your prosthetist check out your alignment, and ask him (or her) to watch you walking outside.  Until then, you can try adjusting the heel height to see if that helps.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »
Hello Marcus, good that you found this place... top info as expected

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Yeah Marcus!  I was so hoping that you would stop in and post a reply, I knew you would be able to figure it out.  I hope you don't mind if
I copy the post for my cp, he is a great guy who has been a cp for many many years but he says this is his first runway foot and he is open to any advice on it.

anne

Offline frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:22:19 AM »
Anne,
I hope your CP sent the foot back to be inspected. Three pieces of resin bleed breaking off on one foot? At a minimum their quality control people should have checked and cleaned up the edge of the foot. You should have full confidence in a new foot and loud cracking sounds are not it.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 04:29:53 AM »

Anne,

The cracking noise is normal for a brand new foot, and isn't something I'd worry about.  When they assemble the foot, they use a high tech yarn coated with epoxy, and wrap it around the toe and heel instead of bolting them together.  This makes a lighter, stronger connection than bolts.

What causes the noise is that sometimes a little bit of the epoxy will spread out from the wrap, and when you first use the foot, it will pop as it breaks loose from the foot (like cracking ice cubes loose from a tray).

If you put the foot into the highest heel setting and step hard on the toe, you might get it to crack one more time.  After that, it shouldn't make any more noises. 

Ann,

It would be a good idea to have your prosthetist check out your alignment, and ask him (or her) to watch you walking outside.  Until then, you can try adjusting the heel height to see if that helps.

Thinking about this, would it not be a good idea to have something in the process whereby every foot gets loaded once before being packaged, so that it's not the customer that experiences this 'crack'?

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:01:07 AM »
I told my cp about the resin bleed theory but he wasn't having any of it, he is very leary as the cracking noise was really really loud, actually heard out in the reception area by the secretary at the other end of the building.  He was still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer at close on Friday but he has told me that he has ordered an elation foot by ossur and would like me to give that a try.  The more I think about it, after hearing the foot crack 3 times, each time after about 50 steps it was very disconcerting, it kind of freaked me out and I did lose a bit of confidence and was walking very tentatively.  I hope I get something sorted out soon as I am chomping at the bit to get this new leg completed before summer.

anne

snowbear

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
That is just awful..Mine was very loud too. It was heard all the way down the hall at work (school) when it broke. It sounds like the same thing..

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
That kind of noise would scare me, too!   :o    I have not had a problem like that with my Runway.  It sounds like something is definitely wrong with the one you have. Maybe they sent the incorrect weight limit??  I'd send it back and ask for another to try and see if it happens again - or to test against the Elation to see which you prefer.  Another choice that just came out last week is College Park's new adjustable heel foot.  It's cosmesis looks very good.  It's a sandal toe and there is no ridge at the ankle because the shell goes up higher.  You can take a look at it on their website.

I know you're anxious to get your new leg, but hang in there and find the foot that is right for you. 
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks Marcus, I will certainly take it up with him.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
Why would your prothetist let you leav that way?? Something is not right.