Author Topic: Take a shower standing up!  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Take a shower standing up!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 02:33:24 AM »
Alkl these acrobatics!  I trust that you folks are younger, lighter, and more agile than I am.  Picture an overweight, 70-year-old bilateral BK.

I use a 30" transfer board to move from bed to wheelchair to shower chair, which is a sturdy one made by Rubbermaid.  Since the toilet and wheelchair are the same height, I can slide from one to the other directly.

I have two grab bars in shower and grab bars both sides of the toilet -- all firmly mounted to studding in the walls.  Anything less is too flimsy and would pull out of the wall.

For travel, I insist on a handicapped-accessible hotel room, and bring my own folding shower stool.  As a DBKA, I find the ones provided by the hotel often unsuitable.

Our home is new enough that all doorways are 36" - the new standard.  Floors are all hardwood or vinyl tile.  We asked for accessible features as the house was being built.

Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 11:40:48 AM »

What do you all do when staying in a hotel or Bed and Breakfast? Someplace where you could bring a attachment or where there would be grab bars? I would just sit on the floor of the shower even though I didn't care for it. I used to bring a bath board, but of course that would only work if there was a tub.

I am bilateral b/k, so when I am in  a hotel or whatever, I take one of my limbs, put one leg in it and use as a kind of lever to either allow me to sit on the side of the bath, if it is possible, or to allow me to lift myself across the edge of the bath right into the water.  Same getting out, only the opposite way round. Have quite a high bed, so also use this method to get into bed from the floor too.  Works a treat.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
LOL Dick... I'm not much younger than you... 65 in October and could lose a few pounds. :) I must admit that I do have concerns when I can no longer lift myself from the floor to the bed, bath and toilet. But hopefully that's still 10 to 15 years in the future! :D

I can only hope that someone opens a retirement home with luxury amenities for disabled seniors at bargain basement prices that meets my expectations of luxury accommodation, gourmet meals, entertainment, close to shops and with a view! Yeah I know... I'm dreaming, but it doesn't hurt to dream. Reality is always such a let down! :)

As most of us have found, we overcome obstacles as they present themselves and hopefully we'll all continue to do so. I think that these types of subjects are great for helping all of us prepare for the next obstacle that we are faced with!
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 03:48:20 PM »
Dream on, Peter, Dream on! 

Funny you should mention retirement communities.  Recently, we looked into some in the Phila area, and were greatly disappointed.

First of all, they AIN'T cheap!

Second, they aren't truly accessible for my needs.  It surprised me how far short of the mark they fall.

Third, it's a lifestyle we're just not ready to buy into yet.

Oh yeah, did I tell you they AIN'T cheap!

So .... we're pretty well set up in our present home, and we plan to stay put for the foreseeable future.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 04:04:39 PM »
I shower standing up by kneeling on the shower chair. I like to shower without the leg when I'm home. When I travel, I take along my Dry Pro protector. It vacuum seals to my leg to keep it very dry and I don't have to rely on a hotel/motel having a shower chair. I've used the Dry Pro at home on those days when a second shower is in order.
LBK since April 2004

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 01:29:32 PM »
I agree Dick... we have my mother-in-law in one here and it isn't cheap, and doesn't have accessible suites. It's not the most expensive around, but not the cheapest either. They do range here from the mid $2G's to over $4G's / month!!!!! Couples aren't double, but they're at least 50% over that!!!! I think staying in the house as long as possible is the smartest move. Then sell the house and hope that the proceeds cover the cost of the retirement home... yep, I'm a dreamer :)

Peter
BAK since '74

snowbear

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »
Thanks all are very intresting ideas..I was just sharing how I shower. Not pushing a product just giving people a option its all to the individual. And what one feels more comfortable with!