Author Topic: Take a shower standing up!  (Read 6739 times)

snowbear

Take a shower standing up!
« on: April 11, 2008, 03:50:24 PM »
One of the most biggest changes that comes with a amputation is taking a shower. I have a chair I  use..But I also have a Prosthetic Shower protector.. It is great and  fits over my prosthetic  that enables me to take a shower standing up! It fits right over my prosthetic and my prosthetic stays completely dry and safe.  I have a Thompson's Prosthetic proctor invented my a amputee himself. Who's only intrest is to make life as easy as possible for us amputees.  I use mine often when traveling or right at home.. Check it out at   www.thompsonsllc.com I love this product!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Take a shower standing up!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
Here is one for you-all, am a bilaterial bka and donot use protector or a chiar when i am taking a shower. And i still in a way stand up in the shower, only it is on my  knees and have a shower head on a long extension, tried to use a chair and i kept falling off of it, the fun part is getting in and out of the tub after i am finished, those wet tubs can be rather slippery when wet.
you-all have a great day.

snowbear

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Peg leg...I hope you have grab bars to hold on to.. :)

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:07:27 AM »
Here is one for you-all, am a bilaterial bka and donot use protector or a chiar when i am taking a shower. And i still in a way stand up in the shower, only it is on my  knees and have a shower head on a long extension, tried to use a chair and i kept falling off of it, the fun part is getting in and out of the tub after i am finished, those wet tubs can be rather slippery when wet.

Am exactly the same as you Jack.  Actually prefer the bath but have a type of shower bath.  Just use my arms to get me in and out.

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »
OH! I walk I my knees and never thought of taking a shower on them. Sounds intresting.!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »
Hi You-all, i can see now that i am not alone on this one,

Snowbear no i dont need grab bars to get in and out of my tub i use the towel rack and washcloth rack instead didnt want to drill holes in the tile and compromise the water bearer and wind up having more problems than i need.

I do have a real thick piece of carpet in front of the tub incase i slip going out and i drape a towel over the edge of the tub and that helps out a lot keeps me from sliding on the slick surface of the tub. and in the tub i have a real thick soft rubber mat that i kneel on while i am in there, cant think of the name of them except i got them at HOME  DEPOT.

snowbear

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:36:09 AM »
I grabbed the towel bars once and pulled it out of the wall. And I'm only 120 pounds! LOL!

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »
Hi You-all, i can see now that i am not alone on this one,

Snowbear no i dont need grab bars to get in and out of my tub i use the towel rack and washcloth rack instead didnt want to drill holes in the tile and compromise the water bearer and wind up having more problems than i need.

I do have a real thick piece of carpet in front of the tub incase i slip going out and i drape a towel over the edge of the tub and that helps out a lot keeps me from sliding on the slick surface of the tub. and in the tub i have a real thick soft rubber mat that i kneel on while i am in there, cant think of the name of them except i got them at HOME  DEPOT.

Ha Ha
No your not Jack.  Its funny how we have evolved similar ways of getting in and out of the tub.  I too drape a towel over the edge before I get out.  I also have a cheap seat/stool the other side of the bath, not to sit on, just for me to put my hand on to bear weight as I swing myself out.  I also do not use any grab rails, just know how to balance myself and where to put my weight on the sides of the bath.  The one thing I am careful about is making sure the surfaces are dry as I get in, hence the towel as I get out.

Before we had our bathroom revamped, I used to use the basin next to the bath to lean on to get out, however, the new basin is not so firmly cemented in to the wall, like the old one and I have visions of the whole thing coming off the wall, which is why I now have the seat/stool next to the bath.

Snowbear - with regard your towel bars coming out of the wall.  You do have to watch this, especially in hotel rooms etc. where they are not firmly attached.  Any grab rails have to be very firmly and securely attached directly to the wall.

snowbear

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
My husband has but up some very strong good bars bars in our bathroom I learned my lesson..Thanks for the tip Annie!

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Hi Snowbear - I tried sitting in the shower once and hated it. I go into the shower on my crutches with my prosthesis off so I can do a good job cleaning my residual leg. I leave the crutches leaning against the wall just outside the shower. I have 2 grab bars  in the shower. One is at hip height on the side wall. The other is on the back wall of the shower just above my elbow height. While I am in the shower I keep my elbow kind of hooked over the bar. When I am traveling I lean my shoulder against the wall of the shower to help balance. Last december I had surgery on my arm and couldn't use crutches all winter so I took my showers using my swim leg which is a pegleg. The only bad part was having to sit down in the shower at the end and remove the pegleg to clean my residual leg. Recently my arm got strong enough to be able to take my pegleg off while standing on one leg.  Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
Isnt it just amazing on how much a person can learn on these forums, just like this one i have learned a ton of information that can be passed on to other amputee's that dont have axcess to a computer.

When it is finished i will have quite a good folder to give to new amputee's and it will be packed with some of the best infromation one can give because it is coming from people who have been there and done that, and have a great attitude for live after having thier amputation.

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »
I sure wish I knew about this when I was a new amputee..It will be 5 years in July and I have also learend allot form other amputees..Its nice having someone to relate to!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
I use a swiveling bath chair. It rest on the top of the tub and I sit in and spin myself till I face the water. I had to move the showerhead and its attachment further along the wall so that I would be in the flow of water but after that, all is fine.
I have a swimming leg and could have a wash in it but I just see taking it off mid-wash as a hassle, thats why I use the chair.
I know a fella in town that is a AKA and takes showers standing up (and he never wears a prosthetic leg. He said that his op was botched and it is painful to wear any sort of leg...ever). I would tend to think he is asking for trouble as he can fall, but as far as I know he's never fallen.
I have had showers on the floor of a shower but I don't like it. I think it just makes me feel more handicapped for some reason.

~~~~~~~~

What do you all do when staying in a hotel or Bed and Breakfast? Someplace where you could bring a attachment or where there would be grab bars? I would just sit on the floor of the shower even though I didn't care for it. I used to bring a bath board, but of course that would only work if there was a tub.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
OH I have a portable ones that I take they suction on the walls and tub area.. I found them at a drug store near by.

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »
If there's any other BAKs out there, I'd be interested how you get in and out of the tub or onto the toilet or into bed at night after removing your prosthesis.

For the bath, I sit on the floor on a terry cloth bath mat, between a Rubbermaid step stool and the edge of the tub, and placing one hand on the stool and the other on the edge of the tub, lift myself onto the edge of the tub, then one hand on each edge of the tub, I lower myself into the tub. Getting out I do the reverse, hands on each side of the tub, lift myself onto the edge, while the water is draining (for bouyancy), then lean over and place one hand on the stool and the other on the edge of the tub and lower myself onto the terry cloth bath mat. Fortunately, my tub is reasonably low and has a wide (approx. 6") edge on the outer side and a couple of inches on the wall side. Like pegleg I didn't want to compromise the water proofing of the wall by drilling holes for a support bar. I have been considering the portable suction cup handles that I've seen advertised that hold up to 250 lbs. Has anyone tried them?

Getting onto the toilet, is basically the same. The counter (with the sink) is next to the toilet, so I place the Rubbermaid stool on the opposite side and with one hand on the counter and the other on the stool, lift myself onto the toilet. Getting down it just the reverse.

Getting into bed is also similar, but I use a two step Rubbermaid stool which is a little higher. I sit on the floor between the bed and the stool and with one hand on each, lift myself, swivel and sit on the bed. Getting down is just the opposite.

Moving across the floor, I use push-up bars to give me some elevation and just lift myself forward then move the bars forward, then repeat, etc.

When travelling, rather than get onto a hotel floor, (who knows how clean they are), I use my wheelchair to transfer to the bath, toilet or bed. Unfortunately, I purchased my house before my accident so it is not wheelchair accessible and the doorways into the bathroom and closet (where I don my legs and dress) are too narrow for a wheelchair.

Years ago I built a small square 'skateboard' with casters to 'wheel' from bed to washroom, but found that this wasn't easy over carpet and doorway thresholds and that's when I came up with a wooden block handle, then one day a friend saw me using them and gave me his push-up bars. I've since gone through several set and found them with more cushioned handles which are easier on the hands.

Any other suggestions from BAKs?

Peter
BAK since '74