Author Topic: vacuum system questions  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Mitchee

• Oshkosh, WI
    • View Profile
vacuum system questions
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
I'm looking for the pros and cons of a vacuum system.  I would like to get rid of the pin system but it seems like either people love or hate the vacuum system. 

If I decide to do it, I'll be driving 15 hours and staying in OKC for 2 weeks to get it made.  I can have another pin system made locally so I want to be sure that this is worth my time. 

I'm very active and always have a lot of sweat in my liner.  I was told that the sweat issue would be greatly reduced with a vacuum system.  Some people have indicated that the vacuum system does not work well for very active people.   Is this true?  I will still use my other prosthetic leg(s) with a pin system for cycling and running.  The vacuum system would be my "everyday' leg.

I'm looking at getting an Ottobock Triton Harmony vacuum system with a Triton foot.  I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!!
Initial injury:  July 1985
Amputation:  December 2006 - Ertl LBKA

"The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."
 -Lao Tzu

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: vacuum system questions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Mitchee, this is pegleg jack and  i have had the vacuum system and had to change back to the pin lock cause i was wearing blisters on the bottoms of both stumps and man were they ever sore and hard to heal up, so i went back to  the pin lock and it cleared right up for me, but then again they just mike work out okay for you, if you do go to it let me know i still have he chargers, here t the house, would be willing to part with them for a  price.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
It is really critical with a vacuum system that you have a correct fit or you will have trouble with the pull from the vacuum.  I have the Stan Patterson vacuum system which is a hand held pump but rarely after pumping it in the morning to I rarely  have to pump again.  And no matter what anybody says I think everyone who is active sweats in a liner.  Sometimes you have to take it off dump out the sweat and put it back on.  Look up Prosthetics and Orthotics (POA) at there web or facebook page and get more info.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
maybe I should ask about the pump system
I just have the neg pressure (push down and hold the button to let the air out)
But after an hour or so, it starts sucking air, becomes loose (as my stump sweats/shrinks)
I gotta get a new system.
I'm getting a new socket maker guy, so maybe he can do better than my old VA socket maker guy did

Thanx

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
I have Stan PattersonStan Vacuum  system, it does not add extra weight and usually Have have to pump once.  You will still sweat in any system no matter what anyone tells you.
All sockets require a perfect fit, I am curious where you are going in OK, I would make sure you get a guarantee that if it does not work out they will not bill you or your insurance, otherwise you may be stuck with another leg for the closet, or I suggest reusing parts or donating.
I can not believe no one near you does vacuum.   Good luck.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:47:29 AM »
Sorry Bud. Tried it twice and both times it failed miserably.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com