Author Topic: Update on my RAK Rig  (Read 976 times)

Offline Jersey1132

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Update on my RAK Rig
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Figured I’d give an update on the Rheo/Proprio symbionic rig I’ve had for a little over a year now…

First, this is without a doubt the best “pure walking” leg I’ve ever had, and I’ve had a lot of them…totally stiff, free swinger piano hinges, mach hydraulics, total knees, c-legs, etc.  This set-up knows what you’re going to do before you know what you’re going to do.  There’s no need for a second thought on slopes, uphill or down.  I play a lot of golf on some very hilly courses, and nothing compares to this.  I haven’t had anything close to a fall…probably because the Proprio is never in danger of toe dragging, even on hills.  The way it goes “flat” in sitting mode makes those 2 hour conference room meetings much more comfortable.  I also hunt a lot, and walking through woods with many obstacles on the ground has never been easier.   

So far, the only downside for me is battery life…I charge during the night and put it on around 5am.  About 10pm I’ll hear the 2 warning beeps that means it has a couple of hours left.  Usually, with normal activity, it’ll go to about 2am…so not quite 24 hours. Of course, me being up and about at 2am is a rarity, but it still happens.  When it does die, it becomes a free swinger and that’s when the fun really begins…after being able to virtually ignore it for days/months, one has to be a little more careful about making sure one foot is going in front of the other, if you get my meaning. 

For years I was one of those guys who thought all this computer knee stuff was hype…I got along fine without one for 40 years so who needed something that would inevitably need constant service and attention.  Boy was I off base on that one.  Both this unit and my former c-leg needed only the routine service required by the manufacturer…bolt on the loaner and I’m in and out in 10 minutes.  In fact, I’m wearing the loaner unit right now since mine is out there somewhere getting routine maintenance. 

Cost-wise…all I can say is WOW.  It billed out (with a very simple suction socket) at $109,000…insurance ended up paying $70,000…I was not responsible for the rest.  All I paid was about the $400 I had remaining on my deductible.  The reason I went for a new one in the first place was that I had lost a bunch of weight and needed a new socket.  Since the c-leg I was on was about 5 years old, my leg guy figured it was best to just go all new…I tried the Rheo/Proprio for a month and was sold.  Ended up putting my c-leg on eBay and got $3000 for it.  There also is a subculture of pervs around that like the sockets, so I eBay them for about $150 each…to each his own I guess. 

All in all, I highly recommended the symbionic rig, provided your insurance will pay of course. 

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: Update on my RAK Rig
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Also be sure to give the Plie2 a try the battery comes out so if you are running low you can just swap out, also I can get it wet and it is super responsive, much faster than we can thing.  I love it!

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
Very true
I have the Plie' 2.0, and the battery swap is so easy, and I like the knee, but my socket sucks.
In the process of getting a new socket maker guy
Then maybe I can wear it every day without getting blisters/rash/sore/et
But, the knee is great

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Glad you like it, I hope you get a good socket.