Author Topic: I made an old lady cry  (Read 1491 times)

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
I made an old lady cry
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:43:16 AM »
on Mothers' Day, no less
My Mom--
Born in 1937, she grew up poor. Yes, everyone was poor in the 30s.
Got into grade school early, and skipped a grade along the way, graduating private Catholic high school while 16.
Proficient in French and Latin. Can still recite the major rivers of Europe(now there is a marketable skill.)
Worked the entire time while in school.
She was in her 3rd year of college when she married my Dad at age 19 in 1957.
Shortly thereafter, little Haven boys became the order of the day.
Mark born in Feb 1959, Mike in March 1960. Matthew was born in March 1961, but only made it a few days. Joe in April 1962, Guy in November 1963, and myself in May 1966. 2 miscarriages along the way, as well.

Did I mention this lady is tough like a short stick?
She raised 5 sons to adulthood, but it was not typical.
I was born in 1966 in Louisville(the older brothers having been born in Indianapolis)
the family moved to Phila, PA in 1968.To Dallas in 1969.
To Tulsa in 1973, and to Houston in 1976. Houses bought, sold, utilities turned on and off at each location.
Dad was a sales engineer for a gas compressor company-- he traveled a lot, often a week at a time.

She handled every move. Long before Google, Angies' List, or Craigslist were even words, she moved to a new town.
Need a new vet for the dog, doctor for the kids, dentist, plumber, electrician, you name it.
Remember, Dad was often gone for days at a time, 3 or 4 hundred miles away.
Maybe one phone call from him a day. No text, no instant message, no cell phone.
The car won't start, the toilet backed up, there is no hot water, one of the kids is puking his guts out.
Sometimes all at the same time, and Dad is 1500 miles away.

She handled every skinned knee, broken bone, homework question, nighttime baths,
morning school preps, breakfast, etc.
Dad was paid commision, so it could be feast or famine.
Mom would see to it that we never lacked, but some meals were long on rice and beans, and kinda short on meat.
She could make a stew that tasted like a meal fit for a king.
Only a few years later did I realize she saved all the peas, green beans, and potatoes that had gone uneaten at any meal. and those became the
stew fixings.

The 5 sons she and my Dad raised are all self-sufficient, contributing members of society.
None have been to prison, all have current or paid off mortgages, pay at least their fair share of taxes,
and are well respected in their careers. None has ever been out of work for more than a week.
8 grandkids have loving Dads who support them in every way.
And who will rain down the fire of Hell(uncles included) on anyone hurting said grandkids.

She sold that big old house after Dad died, and seems much more at ease now.

She was a huge help to me when I had major surgery in 2007, and again when I was sick last year.
She's been there all my life. Whatever I needed.
Even if a swift kick in the ass was what I needed, and not necessarily what I asked for.

Thanks Mom, you did a fantastic job.
Love you more than you know.
Lunch by the pool at my oldest brothers' house with 4 of 5 sons and Mom.
What a great day!

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: I made an old lady cry
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »

What a beautiful bio of your wonderful mother.  No doubt you all think she is the greatest MOTHER in the world and no-one else's comes close.  You are right., she is.   I imagine there are alot of those Mothers out there that have families what feel the same as you.  And that's ok.  I remember that I was not brought up the same way children are today., we had chores and a lot of love, but had our Mothers at home helping to train us for the adults we were to become.  My mother also lost my Dad when she was 38yrs. and raised four of us by herself.  Cooked great meals and was always there for us.  Then she knew there would be some years between when social security would end for the children and she would have no income.  She went to beauty school and opened her own shop. She's gone now and I know she is still watching over us.   BTW I raised my boys the same way & it is paying off.

I don't know what you do for a living, but you certainly could have been a journalist or writer...you did a terrific job telling us about the Mother you loved thru your life.  They are or seem to be always there just when you need them, don't they.

PS:  you made this lady shed acouple tears!

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Beautiful story, nice dedication to Mom.  Beautifully said.

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
My Mother passed away on July 6. I am so happy I said what I wanted to say to her before she died.
Her health had been sketchy for a while, she got reports of several bad things headed her way,
and called the 5 boys together. She would not consider chemo, surgery or dialysis.
She made it clear that she was at peace, and ready to go to the other side.
We set her up with hospice care, and she passed at home 4 days later.
All 5 boys were there the day she died. She told us to go home. 4 hours later she stopped breathing.

Tell the people you love what they mean to you.
It is a great solace when they are gone.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:21:18 PM »
1. I'm so sorry for your loss
2. truer words were never spoken.
Tell your mom, dad, kids you love em, every day- AND MEAN IT!!!

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

Sorry for your loss., she sounded like a gem.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
So true, be sure to tell those especially your family how much they mean to you and let bu bones be by bones life is to short to have regrets. Yesterday it was 7 years since my Dad passed and I will always miss him, but have no regrets for all the great times we had together and memories made with my brother and sisters. You can't buy back time. Family is too precious to hold grudges.