Author Topic: online liner suppliers  (Read 6038 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
online liner suppliers
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:01 AM »
Anyone know of any online suppliers for liners? I check ebay but no real luck. I use the willow wood alpha liner and my current prosthetist raised the price from 550 to 750 euro. I contacted my old limbfitter and they gave a quote of 550 over the phone but when I was seen and they gave a written quote and they bumped it up to 650 and gave a quote for a different liner. I'm trying to get that quote sorted but they're brutal for answering emails. It usually takes a few weeks...  :(
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: online liner suppliers
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
Thanks Dave. I had a look on that ebay sellers page but he seems to only carry the locking liner, I use a suspension sleeve so my socket requires the non-locking liner... :(

I've had a poke around the Willow Wood site as well but they only sell to certified prosthetists. I never understood why that was. It may be a liability thing in that what if a amputee bought the wrong product and then wanted to return it. Or worse, if a amputee buys a product and it damages their leg as its the wrong thing. That said, if a amputee has been wearing a certain liner for years and simply needs another of the same..whats the problem?
It may also go down that if certified prosthetists hear that their supplier sells to the general public they may not buy from them. I'm sure to some the field is a passion to help others, but its still a business. I'm not sure what the mark up is on liners but if we can buy from the supplier and cut out the middle man, certified prosthetists are out their cut. On a 650 liner, if the mark up is 30%, then its 195.00 just for making a phone call.
I do begrudge my prosthetist a good living. Far from it as they've helped me out. I wish them all the best. Yet, with the costs of prosthetics it would be nice to not have to pay someone to order a part that I am more than able to order myself.

Rant over ;D
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »
Sorry. Steve, I have two 6mm liners still in the box, but they are pin and lock. I use the 9mm liners now. If you can possibly use my liners, let me know. Your only cost would be shipping.  Danny

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:15 AM »
Thanks a million Danny! Typical my luck that I'm on the suspension sleeves, but thanks again!

I finally heard back yesterday after a month of waiting for a amended price quote. No change in price, so it looks like I have to go with it. Back when I had a medical card and they were free to me I wouldn't have batted an eye but with having to pay for them myself now I try and get a good price. I'd be curious to what they cost to make, to the markup from the limbfitter. But then, I don't think I want to know.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 02:26:20 AM »
I just fired my prosthetist of the past 6 years. He charged out a 500 ml. bottle of Otto Boch Derma Clean, which I use to clean my liners after wearing and for my stump cleaning. He billed out WorkSafeBC $132.00 for the one bottle. WorkSafeBC is now supplying me with the same product, same 500 ml. and they pay $20.00 per bottle. They were quite pleased when I pointed out the gouging that was going on. I'm looking forward to a new legist and possibly going back to Alpha liners or maybe I'll request the Willow Wood and give them a try. Steve, if I ever have any extras kicking around, I'll let you know, as I also don't use the pin system on either side.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:26:15 AM »
From 20.00 to 132.00. That's quite the markup. I'm sure there are maybe professions that their profit margin is massive but it seems that the medical industry certainly is. Its a scandal.

The alpha liner are good but then I have always had them. Maybe I just don't know any better. Haha. I may go to a thicker one the next time I get a new socket made as I seem to be having more stump pain than before, but that won't be until either the socket gives out entirely (I repaired the last one with fibreglas three times before I got a new socket!) or until the pain gets worse.

I've switched limbfitters once really. My initial one was assigned me by the hospital. The first leg was brilliant. The fella that made those legs ended up going to Afghanistan to deal with injured civilians and my following 2 legs that were made by the new limbfitter were brutal. They kept trying to fix them but the limbfitter appeared to be fresh out of school and he just couldn't get it right. My current limbfitter is good. The first fella I dealt with was good but again he volunteered to go to hospitals in Iraq to help the injured. It seems that I am driving away my limbfitters! When I go in now I am sent another newbie to deal with. Luckily when I had problems with a fit on the last leg they assigned me their senior fitter and she got me up on the hind legs with a good socket.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
Steve, I'm going to rant here for bit. You have been under government controlled health care for some time now, correct? Can you call your limb fitter and get an appointment for an adjustment tomorrow?. I can with no charge because he has his own business and he's a good guy who stands by his work! We are about to be inflicted with the "affordable health care act" which will be  the downfall of the middle class in our country. Under private insurance, I have only spent perhaps $400 dollars in the past eight years. Under Obama Care the price of health insurance is projected to climb by $7,450 per year for an average family of four people! I promise you that this will be the end of the middle class in this country. We will pay fines in the thousands for non compliance! Then, they can take our homes and rob our bank accounts. I'm beginning to see why they call us the Great Satan. Sadly, we are.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
Danny, I can call my limbfitter tomorrow and get in to see him for an adjustment. I had the good fortune of losing my legs below knee in a work accident, so it is all covered. I pay $38.40 per month for health care coverage. We have very good health care here, but like anything, one has to be proactive in their own care. I had 2 carpal tunnel procedures done in the last year, both by a top notch plastic surgeon, and I paid nothing outside of my monthly health care premium of $38.50. If I made more money than I do, the maximum monthly premium for health care is $64.00. Health care costs vary from province to province, but the standard of health care is good. No one ever gets turned away wheather they pay their monthly premiums or not. Kinda pinko maybe from an American view, but for the most part, the care is very good and the premiums are reasonable. If I wanted, I could opt to pay additional money each month for private, additional coverage from, let's say, Blue Cross, which would cover more dental and private rooms for a hospital stay and reduced rates on medication. I had the additional Blue Cross coverage, but cancelled it a few years back.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »
I can call my limbfitter and make a appointment, but when I am seen may just depend on their workload. It usually takes a few days or a week but I'm sure if it were urgent they may try and squeeze me in. They may be little or no cost for adjustments, depending on what needs to be done.

I wouldn't have health insurance myself. I probably should though. At 51, I'm about at the age when I assume bits will start breaking down! There was a time after the accident when I had a medical card. I wasn't able to work and I qualified for injury benefit or disablement benefit plus a medical card. With the medical card all prosthetic legs or hospital visits were free. Work is quiet so in theory I may still qualify for a medical card but at this point its a pride issue. If I had a medical card I wouldn't be balking at the price the limbfitter is charging but as I am paying out of pocket now I try and get the best price I can.

---

Rant #5

The last I heard from the crowd I have been trying to order a liner from is that all their similar liners are the same price so its either pay the €630 or don't (though they didn't say that per-say). A week ago I said I'd go ahead and order one and asked if I could do it over the phone and they still haven't written back.

They don't seem to be too bothered about my order at all. I've been trying to source a new liner since June with finally getting a confusing price quote in late July (confusing as the price €100 higher than the phone quote and for a different liner). It took weeks to have them explain it. It took another month and three emails to find out if there was a price difference between two liners and now when I said I'll order one they still don't write back.
Maybe they're used to people just paying what they're told to or medical card people who don't care. Maybe I've been deemed to be an awkward customer as I wanted clarification and so they're in no hurry to write back. Although I don't now, I've worked with customers in different jobs in the past and I never thought that 'the customer is always right' but if they're in business to sell prosthetics, liners etc, in my opinion they're customer service is fairly brutal.

I'm calling them Monday.

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:40 PM »
Ohio Willoward has stopped making, gel liners. >:(

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:10 AM »
Stopped making them? Really? :(

How did you find out?

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:18:17 AM »
Yes they stopped making gel liners, found out because my prosthetist ordered mine, and couldn't  the get them. Was told they stopped making them in November.. :o  so now I have no idea what I. Will wear..very angry over this.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
I went to order Alpha Max liners (non-pin) back in September and they said they didn't make them anymore but that they did have a replacement. Same basic liner but a new model but that the alpha max was discontinued. I'd hope that they have a replacement for you that is similar?

Offline snowbear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:33:42 AM »
 :D