Author Topic: How is everyone braving the winter?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
How is everyone braving the winter?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Things here in Ireland are wintery enough. We've had some brutal storms (Storm Christine) and combined with a very high tide, the coasts have taken a beating. Myself, I haven't had too much damage. At least nothing with the house, but I have lost four trees. Unfortunate but having timber to burn is handy as well.

The picture is from Lahinch, C. Clare. A few hours south of me and the photo was taken last week. The worse is over now though. The wind and rain now is of the typical variety.

Anyone have any news, any scandal?
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: How is everyone braving the winter?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »

:o  So glad someone finally posted....I might pass out!  That picture needs to be framed, although it is fierce at best, but a beautiful picture.  You must be keeping busy...still have livestock? dogs, cats, {{girlfriends}}   ;)  It has been very cold here {ohio} and we have had quite abit of snow....but not where I live.  I think I remember the TV saying it was -3 in Cleveland.

AND of course you know the USA does not have scandals {PERIOD} We do not fight about anything {PERIOD}  :-*

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
We had a bit of snow at Christmas, but all green now. Mild temps with forecast for rain. I insured the trike for another year and went for a good ride yesterday afternoon. I'm tying trout flies getting ready for spring fishing. Also, I have a new prosthetist and have had several initial fittings with him and it is going well. Hopefully, more golf this year than last year. All in all, nothing to complain about. All the scandal and drama is on the news or facebook really...
pin-hi

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »
I thing spring is almost here in the south. Hope winter is over for the people really affected by it. I know it is hard to walk in, but love it to ski in.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
Here in central Ohio, we had a brief bit of warm (50) weather, but, then back to 0 and snow flurries.
I'm about had it with this long, cold winter.
Fallen a few times on the ice/snow, and get mad as heck.

I'm gonna retire soon and move SOUTH.
Where? I don't care, just SOUTH.
Texas probably. Daughter is there, and she's got a nice pool, and cold beer
Yea, that sounds god. Pool and beer.
Yea, I'm gonna move in with my daughter.
OK, Carry on

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »
  Dave, it defintely is not easy to {walk} in snow or ice.  Went to beauty shop & had to have someone move my vehicle closer;  good grief there were {ice} ruts 3 inches deep       >:(     More cold & ice storms predicted for tonight & tomorrow morning.

I am glad Dolphin loves to ski in it, but I think he's right;  Spring is just around the corner  :)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »
Good to see everyone waking up after this long winter.  The first day of spring has come & gone.  Today on tv the weather person was predicting a snow storm for Tue/Wed!  We have gotten through the worst and are looking forward to better weather.  We had a lot of snow and scary walking.  Hope you are all well.  Steve, that is a great picture - Mother Nature can be a b***h!  LOL  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:03 AM »
Annieg, how are you? I know that here in Western Mass, spring only seems to tease us! Must be nice to live near the sunny beaches of the cape or in warm, toasty Ireland like Steve! I'm jealous! We drove up to North Hadley this morning to have a waffle and pancake breakfast at the sugar shack on RT47.(peak of maple sugar season here). It would have been a one and a half hour wait. We thought the parking area was overflowing due to all the tourists and locals out for Sunday breakfast and to tour the process of taking the fresh sap from maple trees and boiling it down to the maple syrup we all love!! Imagine our surprise when we learned that all those people had come from all over New England because of an internet rumor that someone had actually seen a real, live crocus somewhere in the Pioneer Valley! ;)  Anyway, spring is just around the corner in this part of the world. Now, if I can only find out which corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:25:45 AM »
Officially we've received just under 5 feet of snow with more expected tonight. Temps in the teens to -15. Don't forget to make use of such things as Yak-Trax, flip up spikes for canes and ski poles.

Scandal? The communists are still in power and they have the economy so screwed up that 41% of the population is on some form of government assistance. 6 states have filed court proceedings to secede from the union. 28 states have decriminalized marijuana while 2 have made it altogether legal.
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
Sunny Ireland? Don't believe the postcards! haha :D (That said it is a lovely day today)

I had to look up 'crocus '. When I first read it I thought it was some sort of bigfoot type creature but its a flower! We have a good few flowers blooming now, namely daffodils. Lovely to see.

Is that the Joe A. we all know and miss? Good to see you back. I bought a pair of yak-track type ice shoe attachments a few years back after a big freeze. Since I bought them the winters have been mild (in temperature anyhow)

Hope all is well with everyone.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:44:33 PM »
Winter was good I live I the south.