Author Topic: Introduction from another club member  (Read 3811 times)

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
Introduction from another club member
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
I am a RBKA since February 2006, and also a diabetic. My problems started with charcot, first in the left foot in 2001: which is under control, and then in the spring of 2005 I began having the same problem in the right foot. To make the story shorter, I developed ulcerations on the bottom of my right foot that became infected. We tried surgery, but the MRSA infection could not be controlled and became septic, in the blood stream. It attacked my aortic valve. They started me on IV Vanco for six weeks to colonize the MRSA.

The heart surgeon would not operate until the source of the infection was eliminated. I was told that to survive, I need a rbka, and then an aortic valve replacement. They did both operations in the middle of February 06 with the amputation first followed a week later with the open heart valve replacement.

I spent a month in a rehab hospital, for both cardiac and amputee rehab: and was fortunate to make a recovery with out complications. I was able to walk out 30 days later with my temporary leg. I continued with outpatient therapy, progressing from walker to cane to being able to walk without any aids.

My permanent leg is a gel liner and sleeve without a pin lock. The foot is the Freedom innovations "Silhouette" I am back to doing 90% of my previous activities. I have learned that we can do any thing we want, but just might do it a little differently.

I hope to be an active group member, both learning from all of you, and sharing my thoughts and experiences.

Dave
North East Pennsylvania
Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
Re: Introduction from another club member
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Dave, greetings!
I'm always overwhelmed at each of our stories!  *sigh* such hardship.  But what is even more overwhelming is our ability to overcome and to see life for what it is:  precious.

Glad you found us!
Marilyn
Marilyn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Offline pyourke

• BAK - Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
Welcome Dave... this is a great site to join!
Peter
BAK since '74

Offline Dick Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 02:00:50 AM »
Dave:

Welcome aboard.  Well, we're almost neighbors.  I'm in North Wales, PA, not far from the intersection of routes 309 and 202.  Jake, on this forum, is also from NE PA.

We have a few things in common. I also had cardiac surgery (quad by-pass) followed by one BK amp, and then the other BK.  Also, diabetic.

I've never tangled with MRSA, but did have grangrene and osteomylitis, that led to a rush trip to the OR to say bye-bye to the first foot and lower leg.
Dick Stevens, DBKA in PA

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:10:29 PM »
I have had MRSA as well. I lost my leg (BKA) in 2000 and ended up with MRSA in the bone. It took ages (and some serious drugs) to beat it. They even said I may have to go AK because of it, but they were able to control it and I never looked back.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline metdrs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome to the forum. I had been reading the posts in the old forum, (lurking) and feel that I know some of you. I am now able to be on-line and contribute here.

MRSA is very easy to pick up today, because hospitals don't always use the procedures to prevent contamination and the spread of MRSA. You never get rid of it, but only keep it colonized. In the fall of 2006 after healing and learning to manage with my leg, I had on open area on my residual leg that became infected with MRSA. Here we went again with a six week round of IV Vanco< The drug of choice for MRSA (no pun intended). Right now things are quiet,as far as infection, and I hope to keep it that way.

I feel that the new forum gives us many options to be creative as we share our problems, and give our support to each other. We are here with a common bond. I have learned from each of you, and will answer any questions that I can help with.

I am comfortable with being am amputee, and when I get up each morning I put my leg on just like getting dressed or putting glasses on to see. It is now part of who I am, and who I will be. My feeling is that if I am comfortable with the leg, it will help other people look beyond it.

Dave
North eastern Pa.

Taking one day at a time!!

Offline Sparky

• Derbyshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:02:33 AM »

I am comfortable with being am amputee, and when I get up each morning I put my leg on just like getting dressed or putting glasses on to see.

Hi Dave, nice to meet you. That's how I put it to my wife, kids and work colleagues.

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »
That's a good way of putting it sparky! I am so use to having to put something on  leg..It use to be a leg brace now its a prosthetic...What is "normal" for one is not always "normal" for others!