Author Topic: Amputees working as film extras  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amputees working as film extras
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
I've mentioned this before but thought I might mention it again for any new members. TV and film casting agents sometime use amputees in television and film and it can be a great way to see the film making process and make some money as well. Depending on what part of the world you like you will usually find a website or company that you can join and they will notify you if anyone has a need to cast amputees. It may be for tv, film or even workplace instructional videos. The work itself can be very interesting yet at times it calls for a good bit of waiting around to be honest (so bring a book!) but I do find that if I am being used specifically as a amputee that they take care of me better than the average film extra (ie: make sure I have a place to sit, bring me crutches if needed...). Plus the amputees tend to be paid more as well!
The work itself may only be a day or two, but depending on the production they may need you for weeks. Seeking this sort of work as a full time job it may prove difficult as it can be sporadic.That said, if you are used, production companies will keep your name and use you again if something comes up. It may suit someone who is self employed (and can take the time off) or who has the time free to spend on set.

Pros-
  • Its fun to watch the filming process
  • You may work with well known actors
  • It can pay decent
  • As there may not be a lot of amputees used, it usually means you will get good screen time
  • Sometimes the costumes are brilliant
  • Depending on your situation, you can always get film work as a non-amputee as well

Cons-
  • They would tend to need more males than females
  • The work may not be steady
  • When hired and on set it can involve a lot of waiting around

I got to thinking about this after being called up to be on 'Ripper Street' the victorian crime drama set in London (but filmed in Ireland) and I thought others may be interested in the same sort of work. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2183641/

I've been used three times now and although a long day it was good fun. One of the programmes has aired already, while the other two are still post-production and should air in the spring. Heres a little picture from two days ago. I had a scene as a two legged character, then they had me as the down and out amputee crutching it down the cobblestones in a few scenes as well.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Amputees working as film extras
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 11:13:30 AM »

You may indeed become an actor we all will get to watch...wouldn't it be great if you landed a TV series.  I would have the pleasure of telling everyone I KNOW YOU.    ;)

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: Amputees working as film extras
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Love Ripper Street, it s a BBC program but it is on Direct tv.
Which episodes where you in?