Author Topic: Interesting article about early prosthetics  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Interesting article about early prosthetics
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:57:24 AM »
An interesting article I found. It also tells the story of how Hanger Prosthetics came to be. I'll put a few paragraphs here and a link...

War and Prosthetics: How Veterans Fought for the Perfect Artificial Limb

There’s something undeniably beautiful about prosthetic limbs, designed to echo the physical grace and mechanical engineering of the human body. For most people, these objects elicit some combination of squeamish discomfort and utmost respect. But far fewer of us connect those feelings to the untold generations of battle-scarred amputees whose sacrifices made prosthetics a public priority.

Iron hand designed for the German imperial knight Götz von Berlichingen (1480 – 23 July 1562) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

“You hate to think that war is what drives technology, but it does,” says Kevin Carroll, the Vice President of Prosthetics for Hanger, a major artificial-limb producer founded just after the Civil War. Historically, the impulse to create functional replacement limbs has grown in parallel with the number of living amputees, whose ranks ballooned following periods of military conflict, especially the American Civil War and World War I. Such episodes of violence provided the impetus for doctors and scientists to study how the human body copes with physical damage, and how we might repair it...

more here: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/war-and-prosthetics/
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article about early prosthetics
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
An interesting article I found. It also tells the story of how Hanger Prosthetics came to be. I'll put a few paragraphs here and a link...

War and Prosthetics: How Veterans Fought for the Perfect Artificial Limb

There’s something undeniably beautiful about prosthetic limbs, designed to echo the physical grace and mechanical engineering of the human body. For most people, these objects elicit some combination of squeamish discomfort and utmost respect. But far fewer of us connect those feelings to the untold generations of battle-scarred amputees whose sacrifices made prosthetics a public priority.

Iron hand designed for the German imperial knight Götz von Berlichingen (1480 – 23 July 1562) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_von_Berlichingen

“You hate to think that war is what drives technology, but it does,” says Kevin Carroll, the Vice President of Prosthetics for Hanger, a major artificial-limb producer founded just after the Civil War. Historically, the impulse to create functional replacement limbs has grown in parallel with the number of living amputees, whose ranks ballooned following periods of military conflict, especially the American Civil War and World War I. Such episodes of violence provided the impetus for doctors and scientists to study how the human body copes with physical damage, and how we might repair it...

more here: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/war-and-prosthetics/

Very interesting, but, yes, I guess war does inspire advances in amputeeness.
Not that I liked the Gulf War, but I think it did inspire a greater awareness and advancement of prosthetic devices.
And, I'm sadistically glad, cause I'm getting a betterer leg soon, thru the VA, which did such a wonderful job of getting the returning vets back on the road to recovery.

Great read Steve
Thanx

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: Interesting article about early prosthetics
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
Unfortunately wars help stimulate advances in prosthetics😢good out of bad