Author Topic: 3R80  (Read 6095 times)

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
3R80
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:57:46 AM »
I'm now using the 3R80 (OttoBock) knee joint since 2 - 3 months.
It's a mechanical knee joint, with a bit of hydraulics. 
The big plus here is that, it offers STANCE RESISTANCE.  The swing phase is not as good as the 3R60, but that can be easily compromised.

I could descend stairs naturally (though it will be obvious, that I'm not normal!) .. holding on to the railing.
While standing and sitting and getting up suddenly, it offers the support, and it doesn't buckle.
I have not fallen since I've had this.

The movement is not natural or real as one claims it is with the microprocessor legs/joints ... but this will do for the price.

The disadvantage, it doesn't bend easily ... so, we have to press it down so it stays down.  Especially when sitting on a high chair, chances are it will be portruding itself a bit out and we don't even realize, unless and until someone trips on it and are upset that we didn't move out of their way in time.

Personally, I think this is a much better knee joint for active above knee amputees ...

King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
Re: 3R80
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »
the 3R80 is a damn fine knee....

It has a 'yield' function for stability which is why it doesn't bend easily (it's designed to help to control the bend when going to sit down or walking downstairs)   

do you find the weight a problem?