Author Topic: things are looking up  (Read 2055 times)

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
things are looking up
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
I feel like i hit the lottery last week! I got up in the parallel bars at p.t. and now starting to cruise down hallways [ pushing a walker]. felt good to stand again even if prosthesis is uncomfortable and socket too big.doing lots of ankle articulating exercises and my foot is getting less contracted [ankle still burning though]. i need that foot and ankle as you all well know! The jury is still out- my foot may not completely recover but i'm working hard to get to the best place possible. I saw my surgeon for the first time post op.  He said the pain may take a year to subside and i am only 3 months out  and i need to  "slow down".  That leaves me optimistic. I have 3 screws in my heel...its a little sore but no big deal. Surgery should always be a last resort. I deliberately dragged it out a year until i had to pull the trigger. I had all winter to recover. Its been a tough 2 years since i fell. My wife once remarked ,  " wouldnt it be nice if you could just go back to being an amputee." hmmmm...everything is relative.  I guess we need  to count our blessings. My normal world is being outdoors....working hard or leisure. I'm used to getting up, strapping on my leg, working,  the chores at home in the evening.  That leg stays on for 16 hours plus sometimes. I am sure i'm not the only one.  Hey, i know i'm racing ahead but i just want to get it back ! Thanks for listening , all.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
Re: things are looking up
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »
Chuck
Good luck with the recovery and the PT
I so well remember pushing that darn walker down the hallway.

I also wear mine 16 hours a day, but pay for it the next couple days.

Here's hoping you get back to 'normal'again soon

Dave

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:27:59 PM »
I've been a BKA since 2000. It can seem like one step forward and two steps back at times. The hardest thing to master in the early days is patience. Rushing into things can set you back so take it easy and you'll get there!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
Alright  Dave !  I too remember making vows to myself while recovering [ hit by a car while working behind a dump truck 24 years ago ] .  Having a goal is always a good thing! You dont  sound like a guy who is willing to settle and that attitude is paramount in getting you to where you need to b e. So congrats on that new " scooter "! I am about your age ....used to love riding like life itself in my "wild" youth but wrote it off years ago as i fretted over how I'd hold the bike up at a red light.  I knew an LAK  who bought a new Sportster after his accident. His stump is long [right above knee] but he also is missing 1/2 right foot. He managed to ride but did fall over once in a while at a stop. Also knew an AK  that got a new bike [to replace wrecked one] with a side car....so whatever works! Sounds like your new trike will be great! Nice looking too. Oh by way, my p.t. is going well...still have the walker but i'm graduating to the furniture grabbing stage at home. Ankle stiil burning but i tune it out when i'm up and cruising. Hopefully upstairs and sleeping in a real bed by next month or sooner.            Best wishes  Chuck                   

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »
Than ks Steve,  Not that I'm a newbie to functioning as an amp but the game changed once i took that spill. Life can be ironic. A few years back I had a table saw set up in my yard. Building something...ripping 2 x 4 s.  wintertime and i made sure to run my extension cord on dry ground. I stepped towards the saw....prosthetic foot caught in deep snow and snapped that leg in half.  Couldnt take all my weight at once. Frustrated sitting in the snow....home alone....backpedaled onto porch and door is locked. No way did i want to swim in snow around house to back door. Had my cell and called a neighbor down the road...he even brought his Dad's walker! I was mad but reflecting later pondered ....that fall could have happened 1 minute later while running that saw and who knows? Then 1 year later i fall going out the door ...land on my own leg and a horrible result. But maybe it could have been worse if i fell at that saw?  Weird. Hey. I'm rambling. I tell that story as perhaps you can relate......you strike me as a fellow that does what needs doing. Having a "can do " attitude  is what helps all of us to keep going! Keep enjoying life on   your Emerald Isle!  p.s. I myself am walking much better...not free-ranging yet...still with walker. But I'm on my way.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:23:39 AM »
What a mad story! Yes, it could have been far worse if the saw had been running. I'd hate to think what could have happened. I have a metre saw myself for any number of little jobs around the place (from shed building to making small pieces of furniture). My saw is rubbish (it was cheap and now couldn't cut a proper 45 angle to save its life) but its all I have.

Myself I do like the feeling of building or fixing something, so yes if it needs to be done I just do it. Luckily I am physically able to. My leg is sound, my prosthetic leg is working well too, I have the interest so why not. haha

Good luck on getting back on the hind legs and free ranging!  :)
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »
OK
Y'all got Mitre saw stories, I got one too
When I was around 14, I was in my dads workshop cutting a 2X4.
I didn't se the nail in it.
The nail hit the saw blade, threw the piece of the 2x4 back, my hand was on that piece of wood, and my finger went thru the saw blade, lengthwise.
The Dr saved my finger, but it was cut to the bone from the fingernail to the knuckle.
I was lucky-that time
Guess my luck finally ran out

And, we got a great bunch of folks here.
I pray for every one of ya, and I know we'll all get better, in time
For those that have been dealing with it for a long time, Thank You for your advice on how to cope with it

Dave

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
You folks are tough. I guess we all are! I had an accident almost seven years ago coming down from a roof. I still do that type of work and have had several mishaps since. I'll start a new post in the next day or two about some of my comical mishaps since becoming an amputee. I'm sure we've all had many! Sometimes it's good just to have a laugh or two.

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:43 PM »
You folks are tough. I guess we all are! I had an accident almost seven years ago coming down from a roof. I still do that type of work and have had several mishaps since. I'll start a new post in the next day or two about some of my comical mishaps since becoming an amputee. I'm sure we've all had many! Sometimes it's good just to have a laugh or two.

Tough?
I think being an amputee has made us tougher than the normal prson.
We got more adversities to deal with, that 'normal' people take for granted.

Yea, we oughta start a "Guess what happened to me on the way to the Forum" thread

But, yesterday, I wore my leg all day. Went to the Dr to have my stump measured for a new socket, put the leg back on, back to work, and last nite it hurt like crazy.
Talk about phantom pain.
My left foot (that I don't have) had a lightening bolt pain that lasted 4 or 5 seconds that had me on the floor holding my stump till it went away.Not funny, but it seems to be a recurring thing.

Yea, if ya can't laugh at yourself, what can ya do

Look forward to your stories

God Speed

Dave

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
Thanks Dave. Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with phantom pain. My surgeon told me I wouldn't and after seven years, I assume I won't. We can discuss why in another post. Funny stories are next, though.  ;)

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Hi Danny y,   You lucky dog!  At least in the phantom pain department. I could write books about it. Sometimes I'm pissed about all the wasted days and sleepless nights but what can you do?! I'm always grateful to get 3 or 4 months off but that nasty devil always returns! All i can do is grimace and say "it's got to end sometime".  Hey. I look forward to your funny stories. Also would like to know how your surgeon predicted no phantom pain.  Good for you......but I'm jealous! In fact I'm going to knock on wood right now. [you know....speak the devils name and he will come]    Don' t want to jinx myself!

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
Hey Dave,  Unfortunately i am long familiar with phantom pain. But everyone is different. Some get it....some once in a blue moon or almost never. I once had a similar pain in my missing foot like you did but that was early on while still recovering in the hospital  for the first 2 months after amputation. So hopefully yours will go away. The phantom pain i 've  had for years is in my stump.....very  electric. A  bolt of hot lightning shoots thru my stump kind of into space. I mean it will lift you right out of bed or chair. Excruciating for 3 to 10 seconds. But it builds int!!o a rythym that can last for hours or into next day. Even Chuck Norris would cry for mercy ! [maybe not...he's pretty tough] I never feel like my missing limb is hurting anymore. That concept of phantom pain is a misconception to me. Thats just my opinion......I certainly don't have all the answers. But will be glad to share any insight or advice if I can. Hopefully yours never returns.

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:23:36 AM »
Hey Chuck and Danny
I had no intention of making this a pity party for me.
I was just saying that I stil get the pain, it is electric, it does shoot down my missing leg, it does make my whole body jerk uncontrollably, it does last for a couple hours at a time, mostly at bed time.

But, it's only been 10 months since the accident.
I'm geting a new Piie with carbon fiber socket
I hope to be walking as normal as possible soon.
the pain sucks, but the thought of a new leg is exciting.
And the thought of getting a new scoot is exciting.

So, Danny, tell me something funny.

Dave

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
With it only being ten months its still early days. I can recall some real jolts I had years ago that nearly sent me into orbit. Its been 12 years now and I still get the odd ping but its not bad at all.

Funny stories?

Here's a quick one. About a year after the accident I was doing some training in an office. I had a notion then to become a web designer, the notion didn't last. Anyhow, I had no car so I rode the bike to the office and once there I'd get to work at my desk. Once in a while the leg would feel a bit narky and I'd slip it off while sitting there and put it under my desk with no one the wiser. My bosses wife worked there as well handling the books etc and would sometimes run the hoover to keep the place tidy. She was hoovering around my desk when she let out a unholy scream. She had seen my prosthetic leg under the desk and for some reason thought that someone was hiding under my desk. Hahaha! :D

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
Good one, Steve, I'll start a new thread and put a few up tomorrow.  :'(