Author Topic: things are looking up  (Read 2051 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: things are looking up
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

Hey guys, this is the way R forum should run.... ;)  I love to hear of all the things that happen to you.  This is a great thread.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »
When I first got out of rehab, I was pretty much confined to a wheelchair.
But, that didn't stop me from going to Walmart.
I got a lot of looks and stares, especially from little kids.

One day, while pushing myself up and own the isles, with shorts on and the bandages on my short leg sticking out, a little boy (with his mom) was staring at me.

I turned my chair in his direction. looked him in the eyes. and shaked my stump at him.

He freaked out and hid behind his mother screaming for dear life.
I think he's been scared for life.

My work was done and I moved on

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
Yeah Dave! I had a similar experience. Just released from the hospital ....spent 4 months coming back from being roadkill. Sporting scars all over including a nasty one where the smashed car hood severed my jugular and of course my swollen stump.....I was a sorry looking sight. Some pals stopped by to get me out to a cinema. Friends pushing my chair thru the crowd after the movie and I'm getting some looks. I look up and there is a woman staring at me hard, I  blurt out " Don't worry ma'am ,  just a flesh wound ".  At least she had the decency to look embarrassed and scurry off!

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »
Hang in there but be sure the socket fits or you will always be uncomfortable. I cannot agree more about not over doing it in the beginning, because once you get a sore you have to wait for it to heal before you wear your prosthesis again. Best wishes and your strength and determination will definitely help.