Author Topic: ASLEEP {AGAIN}  (Read 3688 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
ASLEEP {AGAIN}
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

OUR  FORUM  IS  ASLEEP  AGAIN   ;)

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
Re: ASLEEP {AGAIN}
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:23 AM »

OUR  FORUM  IS  ASLEEP  AGAIN   ;)
OK, let me add something.
Had an appointment with the VA Medecal Evaluation Board (2 DR's and my prosthesists)yesterday to try and convince em why I felt I needed a MPC leg.
This Doctor/Kid (not any older than either of my kids) is asking why I need a better leg?
What's wrong with what I got?
Can't I make this one work?
ETc  etc.

My Prost. finally steps in and explains in DR terms what I was trying to say.
I guess "This Leg Sucks!!"  means something else in Dr talk.
Anyway, they finally, reluctantly agreed to start the process for casting of a new socket, and working on getting a MPC leg.

While I was leaving I stopped to talk to another amputee in the waiting room.
While there, these two guys walk in, one a LAK and the other with a briefcase.
The guy with the briefcase hears me talking and says, "then you'll like what I got here"
He pulls out a Plie' knee.
Of course, I already done my homework and we have a great talk.
Then I talk with the LAK, and he shows me all it can do.
Nothing better than a live demonstration.
Next WEd is my first appointment for the casting.
I want a carbon fiber socket (that fits) a Plie' knee and whatever the best foot to go with it is.
We'll see.

And that's what happened yesterday.

Getting excited again

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

Sounds as if U were in the right place @ the right time.....very happy for U.  I know with UR attitude U will be on the road to anywhere U want to go.    I am having some trouble with getting a new liner to fit correctly....there isn't enough padding @ the bottom to keep me from hurting while wearing it.  This will make the 3rd. one they R making me.  Should be here today by FED-X.   U know what they say, third one is a charm.  Sure hope so.  I can't believe when they have the one U R wearing everyday as a pattern , they have such a hard time duplicating it.  Just saying.........

BTW, glad I received an answer to my moving statement.   :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Good luck Dave. Hope your new leg is just what you want.

Myself, I've been a bit quiet because of a night out. I hadn't been out for a while so I went to a friends birthday at the pub and had a great night. Next day I was hungover. The following day I had the flu. 2 days later bronchitis hopped on and a week later an inner ear infection joined the party. Sick for a few weeks so far. If you haven;t had this little combo, we all know the flu feeling, bronchitis makes it hard to breathe and the inner ear infection gives a lovely dizziness and double vision. I must admit that trying to get onto a stool in a glass shower, on one leg while dizzy and with bad vision is not something I enjoy!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:40 PM »
 Just do not fall & not have on UR button to push for the ER guys....or U could say this  "I've fallen & I can't get up" ...kidding, just be careful U do not fall in the shower.,  U could end laid up for several days.   ;)

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 12:41:42 AM »
Hey Dave,  What good timing that you got to meet up with a fellow AK with a Plie` knee. I too, am very interested in that knee. Not that a C leg is a pig in a poke but the Plie` appears to have advantages over the C leg. It is still newer technology and not as universally widespread so its good to see one upclose. I am not sure i could personally benefit from one as i have always been a problematic fit for a good   socket  [short bad stump ]. You can bet i'm going for it [ if possible ] once i am able. You need a good socket  or all the high tech knee and feet wont do you any good. It  appears you have a fairly long residual limb so that should help you in the socket situation. Check out college park for a good  foot. i have had great luck with them.  They articulate well when you are outdoors and step on an irregular surface.....like a fist sized piece of gravel. Trade offs [ like everything else in life ] is they dont  have a lot of  longevity. The foot has lots of soft rubber bumpers in it.....that makes it work so well but also wears out quickly.  I think college park now makes another model with stiffer rubber [but less action ].  Also i had a Cirrus foot about 20 years ago [looked like the Terminators foot!] That foot kicked ass until i wore it out. Anyway, I am used to being very active outside and would beat the @#$%^  out of my leg and all parts so i must say those are the 2 feet i liked. Best of luck to you on that knee...dont let insurance push you around! Let me know how you make out.   p.s. thanks for responding to my post  earlier

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
Ann: Yea, I've got a small bump at the very end on my stump.
No liner.
After an hour or so, my stump slides down and rests on that dern bump/bone spur. Hurts like heck.Hopefully this new socket ill rectify that problem

Steve, Yea, I've had a few of those nights when I lived in Ipswitch.
New to the pub thing and dart thing. But I adapted quickly.
Hope you shake all them darn bugs off and get back to living life.
And, maybe a few less pints at the pub might help.
(I quit drinking years ago)

Chuck: Yea, great timing.
At this point, I wanna make the best of what I can get done.
Ins is no problem as i'm going thru the VA.
Then again, the VA may be  a worse battle than Ins.

again, I totally admit my newness to this amputee thing (10 months ago) so I'm still learning.

One thing tho, when I was laying in that bed, shortly after the accident, I promised myself I'd be riding again, ina  yer.
We;;, I just ordered me a scooter trike.
I ain't got the $$ for  a goldwing, but this scooter trike will help me get back to riding again, and a little more freedom, if only the weather would break and spring would get here.

Again, all my love to all of you.
May God bless you and help you get thru this little bump in the road.

Dave

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »
DaveC, post pictures of that trike when you can!

Don't underestimate a mere scooter. We've got a Silverwing that's "only" 600cc, easily makes freeway speeds and a lot more, a very nimble and capable machine. Anything that get your knee(s) into the breeze is good by me!

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:13:09 PM »
this is a pic from their site

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »
Another angle

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »

Dave, that is a cool bike...once U get UR leg, I can just see U out tooling around.  Did I hear U say U were Columbus.....I live afew miles from Athens, Oh.  There used to be a lady from around Cincinniti on here, but haven't heard from her lately.

Have a nice day.   :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Did I hear U say U were Columbus.....I live afew miles from Athens, Oh.

Ann, you little flirt. ;)

(It is a lovely bike. Enjoy!)
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »

Dave, that is a cool bike...once U get UR leg, I can just see U out tooling around.  Did I hear U say U were Columbus.....I live afew miles from Athens, Oh.  There used to be a lady from around Cincinniti on here, but haven't heard from her lately.

Have a nice day.   :)

Yes mamm
Columbus I am
Maybe I can take a little road trip this spring/summer
Would like to meet ya
Dave

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
Thanx Steve
It's a start anyway

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
You can read my post regarding plie'2 I love it!  Not sure your weight and all that stuff but I know freedom innovations makes a lot of good feet with action. A lot of the other feet I call rock feet because it is like walking on a rock or I should say a brick.  The good thing with feet must of them have a trial period that you can actually wear them, I would suggest trying different feet, I know amps that love the freedom renegade xt, the highlander. I have not had much luck with OB feet really stiff and CP feet some situation.
Best of luck. No more sleeping!