Author Topic: Uncharted Waters  (Read 825 times)

Offline chuck p

• View Profile
Uncharted Waters
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:24 PM »
Uncharted Waters
>Hi folks.  I’ve been a short left AKA (5 inches of femur) for about 24 years.  I still managed to embrace life as best as possible.  I’ve been fortunate to be able to continue as a landscape/tree service contractor.  I gave up on the “widow-makers”, but still could climb routine trees. 
Once in a while, I take a spill out in the great outdoors, but really took a life-changer 2 years ago.  My prosthetic knee buckled and I ended up sitting on my twisted right foot.  Heard a sickening pop and felt an angry “fist” sticking out of my knee.  Turns out I ripped out my quad tendon and “shelled” my knee-cap. 
>Rehabbed with my leg locked in a brace for 4 months.  It was going okay until my ankle started to burn and my foot pronated to almost 3 o’clock.  Diagnosis not clear I had to undergo serial casting to straighten my foot.  Spring turned into summer turned into fall.  8 months later I went back to walking with a poorly fitting prosthesis and an AFO brace on my right ankle.  No more nocturnal crutching into the bathroom!  Finally got to see the best/ankle doctor in the city.
>Long story short, I ended up with a subtaler-fusion.  My ankle can still flex up and down (step on the gas), but not side to side.  It’s been another 3 long months of wheel-chair/hospital bed life back in my living room.  No weight on ankle up till now.  Good news is I start PT tomorrow.  25% weight on my foot.  Usually confident and optimistic, but I’m starting to waiver.  Maybe I expected “nirvana” out of that operation, but my ankle still has that familiar burning, foot still slightly pronated (I’ll live with that) and won’t land flat.  Maybe walking will start to work the bugs out of it.  Has anyone ever seriously damaged their good residual limb?  Hey, I know everyone has their story and all we have to do is tour through an in-house rehab; a reality check for anyone who feels sorry for themselves.  The one string we always have left to play is our own attitude.  I know I’m preaching to the choir!  Thanks for listening, and would appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I may need advice on MCP knees, ect. In the future if I ever get a good fit.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:01:28 PM by chuck p »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Uncharted Waters
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:57:24 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Quite the story. I'm so sorry that you'd had to go through this but it does seem that you have the right attitude to get the best outcome.

Our stories are a bit different (I'm a BKA) but I thought I did in my knee on my good leg a few years back. It was nothing compared to what happened to you, but I was digging stones out of a hill with a pick-axe when the pick glanced off a large stone and came back to hit the knee full force. Blinding pain and I dropped like a sack of potatoes. I can remember thinking of what would I do if I had destroyed or somehow permanently damaged my knee. I was nervous but I would like to think I would handle it just as you have. (Like I mentioned before, my accident wasn't near as bad as yours and after a day or two I was pretty much back to normal.)

Let us know how you get on.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
I've only been an LAK for 9 months, due to an unplanned motorcycle accident.
But, I can feel my R leg (knee and hip) starting to pop every now and then.
Obviously from using it way too much
I've got a basic non MPC knee (trainer knee) but it fits so poorly I only put it on when I have to (church, occasional day in the office).
I'm projected to gt an MPC (Plie' maybe) soon, so we'll see how that goes

Again, your story sucks, well, not your story, but your situation.

And, WELCOME and keep us updated on your progress

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »
Just take it slow and you will do ok. Who is to say which is the good leg?