Author Topic: What to choose: Plie'; C-Leg; Orion  (Read 4552 times)

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
What to choose: Plie'; C-Leg; Orion
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Hi again all.

Well, it's been 8 months since the motorcycle accident that cost me my left leg above the knee (LAK)
I was given a generic knee (Ottobock 3R60) and a poorly fitting socket.
I finally got scheduled and completed rehab (after 5 30 minute sessions. Cause it was 2 months from the time I got the leg to the time I was scheduled for rehab. By then I had pretty much taught myself how to walk. Rehab was mainly to correct some of the things I taught myself incorrectly [gait])

Now, I'm finally at the point of deciding which knee (and supposedly a much better fitting carbon fiber socket with gel liner and suction fitting) to get.

I've been doing some research onthe Orion (which seems to be the lower end of the three).
The Plie', which seems fine but I don't like the battery length (24 hrs)
And the C-Leg, which has a 48 hr battery length.

I'm not gonna do much walking backwards,  run any marathons, or climb every mountain, or ford every stream.
(The Sound of Music)
But I do want to do yard work, work in the garage, ride motorcycle (again) play with the grand kids (I'm 63),  take long cross country road trips (not that I need a knee for that-just saying), and other activities other than sitting around the house sucking my thumb and drinking PBR.

I guess it really comes down to the Plie' and the C-Leg.
They both have the micro processors that do whatever it is they do, hydraulic pistons, that would allow me to walk with a stead(ier) gait, walk foot over foot going up and down steps, ramps, etc.

I was initially thinking Genium, but the additional features (above and beyond what the  C-Leg offers)  are for more seriously athletic folks (so he says).

The socket, which is the most important part of any leg, as you all know, is gonna be a carbon fiber thingy, with  the back cut out so I can sit more comfortably, and with a gel liner and suction method of staying on, vs a pin type system.
(Yea, I know they got technical terms, but y'all know what I mean)

My prosthetists (sp) says he's gonna try two different ones to see which suits me best.
I assume it's gonna be the Plie' and the C-Leg.

Just not sure what to expect.

Any advice from those of you who've had to deal with this longer than me?

Yea, I only lost my leg 8 months ago, and only had this temporary leg for 4 months, and I know I'm being too eager to get to a point it took some of you years to get to, but I want to learn as much as I can.
I ain't got a lot of good years left, and want to enjoy those (years) I do.

That being said, I would certainly appreciate any input from anyone who has any knowledge or experience with the Plie' or C-Leg.

Thanx again

Dave

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
Re: What to choose: Plie'; C-Leg; Orion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
Dave, in my opinion, you can't rush too much! To me, that shows that you're dealing with the hand you've been dealt. Push as fast as you can without being careless. You'll be surprised at what you will accomplish. Sitting around and feeling sorry for oneself will not only not help oneself to progress, but will distance a person from friends and relatives over time. I feel your attitude to be great! Peoples' reaction to you will be a reflection of what you present to them!

Sorry that the best advice I can give about your prosthetic is only to be sure that you and your prosthetist are on the same page and that she or he listens to you and works with you. Don't settle for ill fitting or painful appliances! I'm below knee. Totally different ball game. So don't listen if I ever give you advice on products!

Be well and keep us posted.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
Dave, You are not rushing. We understand you want to get your life back.  I am a bka so I can't help you with your decision but there are people on here that will have some good advice for you.  Good luck, annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi Dave... interesting that you mention the Orion and then without explanation completely dismiss it? I wondered why?

Also... don't be sold by the blurb, the cost doesn't mean the limb is better. As you recognise, the fit is the biggest percentage of what makes a great leg.
So why (if you are) consider cost as being what defines a good product? There are plenty of non micro processor knees out there that would do everything you want, and be more relaible and easier to fix if something goes wrong... just don't dismiss all the other products out there because you seem to have got it set in your mind that an expensive micro processor knee is what you need... you may well not...

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:07:46 AM »
Hi Dave... interesting that you mention the Orion and then without explanation completely dismiss it? I wondered why?

Also... don't be sold by the blurb, the cost doesn't mean the limb is better. As you recognise, the fit is the biggest percentage of what makes a great leg.
So why (if you are) consider cost as being what defines a good product? There are plenty of non micro processor knees out there that would do everything you want, and be more relaible and easier to fix if something goes wrong... just don't dismiss all the other products out there because you seem to have got it set in your mind that an expensive micro processor knee is what you need... you may well not...

http://amputee-center.com/forum2/index.php?topic=541.0

Blueleg
First, let me apologize for not expanding my discussion of the Orion. I in no way intended to give any disrespect to anyone who has that knee.

It's just that after reading the above link, it didn't seem to be the one I wanted.

The Genium is nice, but only  little better than the c-leg, and, as I don't plan on doing any marathons, I changed my mind on that one being the one I really wanted.

Also, it appears that my leg Dr. (cause I can't spell prosthesis/proctologist/whatever) is gonna try the c-leg and the Plie.

Personally, I don't care. It ain't the cost cause I ain't paying for it, the VA is.

I just wanna walk normally (as possible) and have a great fitting socket. I think I said once I'd even stick with this basic ottobock 3R60 it the socket didn't suck.

Also, I'm new to all this, so what the hell do I know. That's why I came here-to ask others opinions, and you gave me yours, and i'll investigate further before i pass any judgement.

And, I got my meeting with the panel of DR's to discuss what they think is best for me (cause I'm an idiot and can't make a sound decision-in their mind).

More to come when the time comes.
Thanx again all
Dave

Damn!!  I just went back and read the entire thread.
Rocket man sure has an attitude.
I saw where you posted there also.
thanx again
Dave, former resident of Ipswitch, Woodbridge and Bentwaters
(USAF  Stationed there from 80 - 84.
One of the best assignments I had)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:28:19 AM by DaveC »

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
I've seen some C-leg users, single above knee, walk so well that one would not know they had a leg off if they hadn't been wearing shorts. That was on a flat surface. I've seen them in use at the amputee golf tournaments as well. I have some AK golfing friends that have less high tech legs than the C-leg that do very well with them on the golf course. If the VA is willing to part with the dough to pay for a C-leg, why not I say!
pin-hi

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have tried them all cleg,Genium and Plié', I love the plié, it has faster response time that the other two also when they talk about battery life the plié is removable rechargeable unlike the cleg which has to be plug in with the leg itself.  I just always carry an extra battery which I could not do with a cleg.  I also do not have to rely on a remote like the cleg, it all works off the programming.  Genium is a lot more money heavier and I did not like it. The plié is significantly water resistant, I have jet skied with it, got on it on dock and off, first time I have not had to remove prosthetic on jet ski, also if you get caught in a rain storm or in your sprinklers it is covered.  I love it, I also was disappointed with the manufacture site for the cleg it, a friend of mine got the cleg and showed me some statements like "user programmable mode" really means you get a choice of certain actions IE free swing, etc but it is still program by the practitioner and you have to use the remote to get to that mode and it is not user programmable.
He was so upset with what  the web site set after he got the knee and he could not so what it said. Check out freedom innovations website and on utube and contact them. 
Do your research and I do not believe you have limited time but every minute you do have should be pain free.
Going back to what others stress is that the socket is comfortable from the beginning, that is most important and then alignment with out those two a million dollar knee is not worth it.  Also the other thing you have to look into is feet, it can make a great knee horrible or great.
Good luck!
I know it is not an easy road.

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:01 AM »
Dolphin
Thanx for that very informative post.
Yes, I am leaning (pun intended)  towards the Plie'.
I haven't heard a bad thing about it.
Especially the ease of keeling it charged
And I will insist on a better fitting socket this time
I'll be updating here when and which I get

Thanx again all

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:24 AM »
If you need more info let me know, I have had to learn things the hard way and if I can save one amputee from what I have been through I am so happy.