Author Topic: Rant!  (Read 1809 times)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Rant!
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Hello All,  I fell the other day.  My own fault, I didn't watch where I was going.  I slammed my leg and twisted my knee.  I'm lucky it's only badly bruised.  I had to use crutches and leave the leg off.  It reminds me that it doesn't take much to bring an amputee down. What a pain!  It makes me think I should be more grateful for all the good days I have and that I can get around most days just fine. Just spouting off - thanks for listening.  ;) annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Rant!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
annieg, fell lucky that you have only one leg to contend with and not two, have fell many of times and hurt both legs so that i had to use crutches or a walker to get around with, lot of the time it is because i dont make sure that my leg is locked on and i get up out of my wheel chair to fast and one or the other leg come off and down i go or i stub my toe and it brings me down, couple of times i have found my self laying on my back out in the middle of the yard and having to  take my legs off so that i could crawl over to a flower bed and put my legs back on and able to get up, and once i stepped out of a truck and had one of my legs come off and lucky i was on the curb side and fell into the grasssy side and didnt get hurt that time, and also have justed been walking and loose my balance an go down fast, not knowning it until i find my self on the floor.
you-all have a great day.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about your fall, Annieg. Happens to all of us from time to time. When our prosthetic limb is working well, it's sometimes easy to forget that we have one. Most of my falls have occurred when, having put my leg on, I forget to feel the click when my pin locks into the socket. Take a step and the prosthetic stays put and my next step results in a fall. Don't know how your fall occurred, but I feel your pain. Be well!

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
Pegleg, funny we were talking about the same thing at the same time!

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:55:26 PM »
Annie
Yea, sorry to hear that.
I've fallen a couple times too, mostly from trying to move too fast so quickly not knowing I can't do that with this BS cheap a$$ temporary leg that don't fit worth a flying hoot.

But, I guess that's to be expected with us types who only got one good leg to work with.

But, I'm guessing there are people with two good legs that sometimes fall also, (sober even) so I don't feel too bad about it.

I know, I'm new to the game, 8 months ago lost the leg, only 4 months on a cheap (oh - already said that) temporary leg.

Get up and brush yourself off and get back to doing what ya was doin. (kinda what my old football coach said, but he said.
"YOU- GET THE X$#% UP AND GIVE ME 10 LAPS")

OK, I'll quit
Glad you weren't hurt (too bad)

Dave

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
Thanks guys for listening toy sob story.  It helps to talk to people who "get it".  I am lucky to have one good leg.  I'm back up and about, annoying everyone.  Thanks, annieg

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:46:27 PM »
Hooray!!! Now , please, be careful till the next time!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »
Ah geez, what you won't do to get out of a bit of work!  ;) ;D ;) (only joking!)

Sure, we've all been there. It doesn't make it any less annoying, but just know you're not alone. I still get very annoyed if I trip, but more so in public. If I do something to myself I get annoyed but take it with a grain of salt. I sometimes even assume a 'me against the prosthetic' attitude. If I get a bang or sore spot I just 'well, you're not going to get me down you little bollix. I'll just find a way around it.'

Chin up and keep motoring on!

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Again, Thanks all!  annieg

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:10 PM »
Hope you heal quickly and yes everyone falls amputee or not ours are just a little different. My sister took a fall on the ice and whipped her neck and bang her head. I hope she recovers  soon I know she is in a lot of pain so just remember everyone does fall. I think we just get a little more embarrassed. 

I have a different type of suction so I do not have the issues of my leg just falling of which I love.
Be careful up north in the ice and snow.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:30 AM »
Hope you heal quickly and yes everyone falls amputee or not ours are just a little different. My sister took a fall on the ice and whipped her neck and bang her head. I hope she recovers  soon I know she is in a lot of pain so just remember everyone does fall. I think we just get a little more embarrassed. 

I have a different type of suction so I do not have the issues of my leg just falling of which I love.
Be careful up north in the ice and snow.

"LEG FALLING OFF"

Mine did exactly that yesterday.
I was walking down the hallway at work when all of a sudden I lost suction and down I went.
More embarrasing than anything, and I lost total confidence in the leg.

Cant wait to get the new socket and leg
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:51:36 AM by DaveC »

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Sometimes we hurt our pride more than our body!  LOL annieg

Dolphin, hope your sister is doing better!

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:53 AM »
Since I no longer use "straight suction" my leg does not fall off see my comments ounces making a copy of socket. I have silicone line sock socket and sleeve on top with one way small little release and it never falls of,