Author Topic: Skydiving  (Read 2941 times)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Skydiving
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:58:58 PM »
I am working on my bucket list.  I have always wanted to try skydiving.  Has anyone else tried it?  Do you remove your prothesis?  Anything special I should know?  Thanks, annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
Re: Skydiving
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
LOL, annieg, I lost my leg 'skydiving' off a ladder seven years ago. I skydove off a roof May 31, 2012. Ironically, the only part of me unhurt in this fall was my prosthetic leg. You can dream of skydiving. I dream of softer landings!!

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »
Annieg-

I've done a few jumps but these were when I was one of those two legged fellas back when I was in the Navy. From what I know about skydiving (which could be what you have researched) is that there are two main types of jumps. Solo and tandem. Going tandem (having a qualified skydiver strapped to you) may be a good way to have a first jump. They will control the jump and landing, you're just along to enjoy the ride. The jump would most likely be with a rectangle shaped chute which is good as I remember they have a softer landing. Rounds chutes may call for a 'land and roll' to lessen the impact.

Going for a solo jump (which is what I did all those years ago with a round chute) may require more training (which will be provided, or better be!). They will teach you about your main chute and reserve, how to steer, land etc.

If I were to make a jump now I would have to start from scratch really. I would discuss with the jumpmaster on whether you should wear the leg or not. I would assume you could wear it though as the rectangle chutes normally have a soft landing and getting around inside and outside the aircraft  (ie:getting in the plane) would be easier.

It is fun and exciting. Enjoy!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
I am working on my bucket list.  I have always wanted to try skydiving.  Has anyone else tried it?  Do you remove your prothesis?  Anything special I should know?  Thanks, annieg

annieg, U can count me OUT right now..want no part of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.. :o :o :o

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:21:41 PM »
Thanks,  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm going to try it in late spring.  It'll definitely be a tandem jump.  Ann, it's something I always wanted to do and now is the time!  annieg

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »

annieg, U can count me OUT right now..want no part of jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.. :o :o :o

Who says the airplanes they use are perfectly good?  As I recall, the plane the used for me was held together with tape, wire and hope. Sometimes jumping is the safer option. ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:54:22 PM by Steve C »
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:36:40 AM »

:)  Look U guys, I'm glad U have something U want to do, but this chick is still taking a chance on the airplane.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
I honestly hope you enjoy the heck outa it.
Me, no thanks.
I'm scared of heights and GMC Jimmy's.
But, GFY (Good For You) to want to try something new

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
LOL, I can't even walk on carpet without stubbing my toe..can U imagine skydiving?????

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
There was a crane bungee at my local pub for a fair last year. I was in two minds whether to do it or not but the fact they attached the bungee cord to the ankles made me mind up for me.

??? 'No.'

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:21 PM »
Thanks guys!  You gotta take some chances in life.  This is mine!  Lol  Steve, I'm envisioning your ankles being tied and your leg popping off.  You could make some money off the the video, maybe enough for your funeral.  Ann, I 'm not that brave but at my age it's now or never.  Davec afraid of GMC jimmys?  annieg

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:48 PM »

Don't blame you Dave. I wouldn't doubt that they all have rope, a bag of lime and a shovel in the back.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
As long as you are going random with someone who knows what they are doing you will probably love it. Years ago I went tandem hang grinding off of skis on a mountain and it was a surreal experience and I was told afterwards that this was one of his smoothest landings ever. Very heavenly.
Enjoy

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:29:14 PM »

Don't blame you Dave. I wouldn't doubt that they all have rope, a bag of lime and a shovel in the back.

Or this one

Offline DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:33:14 PM »
which hit me