Author Topic: Has being amp held you back or pushed you forward?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Has being amp held you back or pushed you forward?
« on: February 24, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
We never know how our lives will turn out from one day to the next but how would your life be different if you weren't a amp? Has it held you back or the opposite, has it made you want to achieve more?

Myself, I think it may spur me on. I tend to feel the desire to do more than I may have done if I had never been injured. Possibly to prove myself able to myself (or others!) It's hard to say really.

Would you be doing the same things now, or would you have progressed further in your eyes if you never have lost a limb, or have you gone that extra mile since having your amputation solely because of your amputation and the the want... the need to achieve?

I know, it's a serious question. I guess I have been asking questions of myself and I was wondering of I was a alone in my thoughts.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
Re: Has being amp held you back or pushed you forward?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:21:49 AM »
As we only go round once, in this lifetime anyway, I don't suppose we'll ever know how things would have turned out had we kept our leg(s).

I know that people I love, places I've been, things I've done....a good part of that all would have been a much different script had I not lost my legs.

I don't regret a moment of the path except for a few lost years feeling angry and sorry for myself. Once I made the decision to fully participate and allowed some acceptance and courage back into my life, it became quite a ride! I'm still enjoying and learning, I just can't ice skate. lol Good question Steve.
pin-hi

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
Steve,
Great question! I really hope you get many responses.
pin-hi, thanks for your honest answer!

Here are my thoughts...
Losing my leg about seven years ago, to be quite honest, was the right thing to have happened at the right time in my life. Why? I'll just give you my perspective. I'm sixty one now, not old, but not young either. I've always been active and always done physical work for a living. I always took pride in that, but had never figured out what I wanted to do when I "grew up".
My "accident" gave me a 'forced time out', so to speak. For a period of about four months, I was home with little to do. This gave me the chance to go on the computer and research things I'd been interested in all my life, but had always put off for one reason or another.
So since then, I've learned so much about history (real history), science, spirituality and so many other things. I've met so many people in person and on line, such as you folks. This wouldn't have happened had I kept plugging away as I had been.
Having said this....Do I wish I could run and jump? Of course! But I'll tell you, things happen for a reason and I have no regrets!
Santa, can I have my foot back for Christmas?
Just kidding!
Danny

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Steve

Thanks for the insightful question

I lost my left leg (LAK) due to a motorcycle accident just 9 months ago.
I was off work for 2 months.
I'm 63, still work (Government Accountant [OK-quit laughing]) and still enjoy an active life.
I can't say I do more than  I did before, but I sure do darn near evrything I did before (just differently and maybe a little slower).
However, I do plan on retiring soon (once his ins Co pays off) and then I'm gonna do what I wanted, in retirement, to do.
That being cross country motorcycle road trips, visit the kids, grand kids, brothers, cousins,old GFs, ex In laws....etc etc.
Restore my VW Bus, my dads Ranchro, and my Cadillac Fleetwood.
Fix up the house, deck, garage, sun room, landscaping.

I also had time to reflect.
This 'accident' brought me a lot closer to my family, and God.
I could have easily been killed due to loss of blood, not breathing, age, etc, but I wasn't
God has me here for a reason, whatever that is.

So, yea, life is different.
Better? Maybe/Maybe not
Closer to family and God? Definately

I feel that I'm a better person now than I was before.  (although others may disagree)

Life is good.

Thanx

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:25 AM »
I think being an amputee made me work harder because I wanted to be the best even though I was an amputee, once I realized it was ok not o hide it with long pants all the time I think I became free, I am able to help inspire others and to open a conversation.  I am physically a little different and sometimes I may have to do some thing differently because I am an amputee but that does not stop me.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
Great question!  I think it changed my life a lot at least physically.  I think people tend to treat you differently and I spend a lot of time/energy proving I don't need special treatment. It has slowed me down but I try to be graceful about accepting and( asking for help when I need it).  I was older (50's) when I lost my leg.  I think it was easier  for me to accept it and move on.  To answer your question I do think my life would have been quite different.  It has held me back but I have learned patience and acceptance (most of the time).  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
Great question!  I think it changed my life a lot at least physically.  I think people tend to treat you differently and I spend a lot of time/energy proving I don't need special treatment. It has slowed me down but I try to be graceful about accepting and( asking for help when I need it).  I was older (50's) when I lost my leg.  I think it was easier  for me to accept it and move on.  To answer your question I do think my life would have been quite different.  It has held me back but I have learned patience and acceptance (most of the time).  annieg

annieg, I agree with U concerning having to learn patience & acceptance.  I {like U} lost my leg when I was in my 50's.  I think we might have had a harder time learning to do things where a much younger person would have just proceeded due to not knowing anything different.  I will tell U the older U get, U do not have the same balance and stamia as when younger....  Part of this was due to not having a good caring prosethetist.  I live in a small town and we do not have the same advantages as larger cities having better qualified & more experienced people in the business.  Yes, amputation has held me back.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
I just have a comment to add regarding balance etc.  I agree all prosthetists are not doing a good job to help new amputees, I have learned from a trainer (non amputee) that balance exercises and core strengthening are great for amputees and will help no matter what age you are.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »
I just have a comment to add regarding balance etc.  I agree all prosthetists are not doing a good job to help new amputees, I have learned from a trainer (non amputee) that balance exercises and core strengthening are great for amputees and will help no matter what age you are.

Thanks Dolphin, I appreciate your comments.

Offline waqas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:17 PM »
Answering the subject I would say that had I not lost my limbs, I would have never pushed myself as hard as I do, gained the confidence to face people and speak up for what I believe in. Having lost my limbs at a young age, I became more mature than other people my age, was great for all life has to offer and take life one step at a time in its fullest.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
....... take life one step at a time........

and you got a sense of humor too
(As I'm new to this, I have to consiously think about every step I take. One step at a time)

Again---Welcome

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
Having a good sense of humor is important, it will keep you feeling up instead of negativity or pity that can bring you down.