Author Topic: 258 members here. How many folks are active?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 258 members here. How many folks are active?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
to all of you out there I have been a peer visitor since 2004 and have had only 3 (rpt) three calls for  me to come and talk to them, and have found out that the reasons that the hospitals and nursing homes don't pass on the information is that it will cause thier liability insurance to go up so they don't pass it on to other people that could use the information that we older amp have and could pass on to the newer ones. And they are also afraid that we will tell or recommend something that should come from a doctor or a lay person. What i tell them when i first see them is this I AM NOT A DOC OR DO I CLAIM TO BE, WHAT I TELL YOU HAS HELPED ME AND IT MAY OR MAYNOT HELP YOU!!!!
you-all have a great day.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
I too attempted to provide some peer counseling.
The first time was I saw on TV where a guy had a motorcycle accident and had his L leg ripped off at the scene (like mine).
I called the TV station and told the reporter to give my name to the family, which he did.
I talked to the family for a week, and was to meet the new amputee after he stabalized.
He didn't. He died a week later.
I attended the funeral with his uncle.

The second time was thru my church.
One of our folks had a nephew who had diabetis bad and was havinghis foot amputated.
We talked a couple times, but, a unplanned motorcycle accident losing a leg and a planned foot amputation have different healing processes.
Regardless, we talked and I hopefully have him a little hope that  life is not over, he will recover,  etc etc.

So, yea, I didn't know anything about any support groups either.
I healed alone.

And, I hopefully get a new c-leg or Plie' leg by summer.

Carry on

Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
I will agree a lot is word of mouth. I wear shorts and have people that come up to me and open up about someone they know and I give them my email and cell phone number and if they want to give me there number I will follow up. Sometimes people are afraid to reach out. Also the training center out will ask if they can give me number to someone and also the place I went for pt ironic not my leg but when I tore my rotator cuff and had surgery.

I also reach out to prosthetists because since I am not a doctor we are just sharing information and not giving medical advice. I would also instead of nursing homes approach pt departments and let them know your available and sometimes just seeing and amputee who walks well can be just the inspiration they need to keep on working.