Author Topic: 258 members here. How many folks are active?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
258 members here. How many folks are active?
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
I recently joined this website, but have read posts here for several years. There's a lot of great information here! What troubles me is how few people actively participate (I include myself in this category). I see only a handful of folks that post and a few that answer. Sometimes there's a week or two between posts. So I guess I'm curious. How many of us at least touch base here from time to time. What are the reasons for not sharing? Is it timidity, not feeling we have anything to offer, or whatever? I'm not looking for everyone to respond to this post, but even if you don't have anything to say at this moment, please click on the 'reply' button so we can know who's still here.

Thanks, Danny

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: 258 members here. How many folks are active?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »
I think we all get so involved in our own lives we forget to check in.  This site has been a god sent to me.  I don't know any other amputees so this is my only link to that world.  I have learned so much from the people here.  I value all the people here who have taken the time to help each other with questions/problems.  Thanks all.  annieg

He who limps, still walks.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:04:52 PM »
I think there is about 5 or 6 that post with any regularity here.

I preferred the old forum format. I also miss Joe A. posts.

I've posted quite a few times and when I've tried to attach a picture to the post, when the picture is too large, the forum deletes the text I've typed.

That's why I only check in once and a while.

David in Canada.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:38 AM »
I can recall the days years ago when there were loads of people posting. Some may have found other sites, or like what was said before life, lust gets in the way. It could be as well that when some get to a point that they have a handle on it, don't have any questions, they don't 'need' to post. Myself I still have the odd question here and there and even if I don't I like to help if anyone else who has a question.
Then there is always the non-amp themed posts that lets us get to know each other in a less medical way. Thats nice too.

Heres a little picture of me from a local tourist video of my area (west of Ireland). I'm in the blue kayak...

Out of pure generousity I will post this link to a pretty embarrassing video of my attempt at rollerblading back when I lived in Galway. It was a a good few years ago and my forlorn look is a bit priceless. The gloves weren't because of the cold, but more as I knew I'd hit the tarmac at some point!

http://s28.beta.photobucket.com/user/confan1/media/rollerblade-movie.mp4.html
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:35:38 AM »
A quick note, the leg I am wearing is an early one. Loads of padding etc, hence the size of the thing. Looking back now the way it was attached may have been odd. There was no pin, and no suspension sleeve. As I remember the socket was made so it came in over the knee holding it in place although I wonder how strangely it was held!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
I think there is about 5 or 6 that post with any regularity here.

I preferred the old forum format. I also miss Joe A. posts.

I've posted quite a few times and when I've tried to attach a picture to the post, when the picture is too large, the forum deletes the text I've typed.

That's why I only check in once and a while.

David in Canada.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David:
I do miss Joe so much...I do hope he's still here with us and wish if someone knows how to contact him...please do & let us know how he is getting along.  I know he had alot of physical problems.

David, I think ur right on...we used to have many GOOD times kidding each other; debating each other & even writing stories with each one completing the story as we went along.  Giving a heads up on trips that were to be taken & just all around having a great time even though r buddies were internet friends.   ;)

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Steve, you get points for trying the rollerblades.  If we don;t try new thing we'll rust!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline DaveC

• Live life like you were dying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
I'm new here, and got a lot of replies on my initial "Hi, I'm the new guy" post.
I've been in Denver the last few weeks with the kids and grand kids, but, back now.
Just had another physical therapy appointment and another step closer to getting a new leg.
So, welcome back, and let's get active again.
Thanx
Dave

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:16 PM »
I try to post on a regular basis, there is a lot I try to do to help others and I forget to log in I have lots of experiences with knees, feet etc and  if I don't I reach out to my friends out there, also am very active.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
I'm not here.... :P

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »

I believe you are...that's a good photo of u...............

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
Ok, so I see there are a few active members here. Here's another question for you. I've done quite well since my amputation. I've wanted for quite some time to give back, so to speak. I've offered several times to visit with new amputees or their families to offer support or advice if asked for. I encounter stonewalling from hospitals and nursing homes for the most part. They pretty much say that if people don't request anything first, they don't give out info. But I also remember when I was a new amputee, I had no clue as to who and what was available. Any suggestions as to how to make one's self available?

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 09:07:30 PM »
There are courses here in Canada to do peer support and peer support training. I have done a hospital visit to see a man in hospital but he had requested the visit. I would suggest enquiring in your area to see if there is peer support training available. From personal experience, there is a right way and a wrong way to do these visits. When I was recovering in hospital 37 years ago from going under the train, they sent an older above knee amputee in to see me. It was not helpful. With the gentleman I went to visit, he said it was very helpful. He joined our golf association and competed at our national tournament and said he was inspired by my visit while he was in hospital. So, I think it is important to match the peer support person to the person seeking help or information. One can't give opinions on doctors, which prosthetist to use and treatment options. You can however, by your actions and optimism, give hope to someone who has just suffered the loss of a limb. I believe I got as much, if not more, out of the peer support visit I was requested to do, as the man I went to visit did. You have to check the ego at the door and be sure you are doing the right thing for the right reasons.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:11:57 PM by pin-hi »
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
Dannyy and Pin-Hi-

I know just what you mean about wanting to visit and the help you got from a visit.
My accident was in the west of Ireland and so was my operations and re cooperation. Like you, like everyone I assume who is faced with amputation, I had loads of questions. From everything from quality of life, to the hardware (prosthetics). I inquired about talking to someone and they sent me a nun. I thought to myself that unless she comes in missing a leg we may not have a whole lot to talk about. She was very well meaning but I could tell she out of her depth. Consequently, for weeks my questions went unanswered. Later (I was in the hospital for about 5 months as I contracted MRSA which prolonged my little visit), A man came into my room with his wife and said he had noticed my amputation. He quickly said that he had lost his years before (he was in the hospital to visit a family member) and if I had any questions to fire away. Suffice to say we had a good chat. He came back a few days later with piles of information from a amputee group in Britain.

When I was 'released into the wild' I got the notion to help other amputees as he had done for me, and same as you I was told that wouldn't happen. I even tried to leave my number but they wouldn't take it. I was told that I would need to be a certified / trained counsellor and even then the hospital may not be interested. I thought it was scandalous but I believe their viewpoint was that I could possibly give misinformation or even false hope or something of that sort.

All I do now is if I am in the hospital for whatever reason (visiting etc) I try and wear shorts in the hopes that if anyone facing amputation or having gone through it that they can see me and ask any questions.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
Steve and Pin-Hi,
I know exactly what you are talking about! Pin-Hi, I also belong to a support group. My problem is that if they don't ask, they don't get. The support group I joined ended up being a coffee clatch (tea to you Steve!). We meet and sit around and wait for amputees to call us. Guess what? They don't even know we are available to them. I've had only two encounters in almost seven years with new amputees. Both came outside our support group affiliated with the hospital we are attached to. My only support visit came from the husband of a nurse friend of my wife(also a nurse) who didn't belong to a support group either. I only want to share with people that life goes on and that it's not the end of the world if one loses a limb. Very frustrating! Thanks for your input!