Author Topic: Repairing a hole in a liner...  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Repairing a hole in a liner...
« on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
Any thoughts of repairing a hole in a Alpha Gel liner? I have a pea sized hole in my liner (on the side of my knee area) and it causes my skin to fill the hole and can actually be a bit sore. When I take the liner off I have a pea sized bump on the side of my knee (from the hole in the liner)

Is there a way to fix this?
Maybe putting superglue in the hole and pushing it together, sealing the hole?
Or even placing a section of band-aid or bandage across the hole? (which I assume wouldn't last)
I even thought about filling the hole with tub sealant but I wasn't sure if the skin would like being in contact with it...

Suggestions? (besides just buying a new liner... ;) )
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
Re: Repairing a hole in a liner...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Steve, I haven't had much luck repairing gel liners, however I have a couple of things you may try that have worked for me. I save my old liners and cut them to sizes I can use whenever needed. In your case you may try cutting perhaps a two in oval and placing it over your sore spot with liner over it to hold it in place. My liners always wear first at the tibia area. I slip a piece of old liner over the worn area with gel side down and use the sock to hold it in place. I started with the 3mm and soon moved the the 6mm. I've found that thicker gel lasts much longer. The last two years I've gone to the 9mm alpha liners and have found they are not only the most durable, but by far the most comfortable!
P.S. Try the thin green side of the liner first if you have any old ones to use.
Hope this helps.
Danny

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »
Cheers Danny. I'll give that a go. The liner are so expensive it only makes sense to try and make them last as long as possible. This tiny hole is the only thing wrong with it at the moment.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »

Stve did you get your liner fixed.  ;)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

Stve did you get your liner fixed.  ;)

Not yet. I'm still just wearing it and getting a sore spot!  :o I'm hoping to get some glue to fix it tomorrow...

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Unfortunately once a get a slight hole line is doomed and I always have to keep spare otherwise I am dead in the water.  Some seemed to hold up better than others but I do not know of a self sealing liner but that would be perfect.  The longer you were it with a hole the worse the spot can get and may become infected, not good these days.  Good luck!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
steve this is pegleg jack and dont use super glue on your liner, i tryed it and it made a mess of things and completely did the liner in, and had to replace it, for some reason the super glue makes the jel harden and crumbles and makes the hole bigger, got to run now and eat my stomact thinks my troath is cut and my back bone is chewing on my belly.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »
Steve,
I was wondering if you ever got a new liner, I can feel your pain and hope you got a new liner😊