Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius charged with murder  (Read 787 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
« on: February 14, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »
Shocking news. Oscar Pistorius, the South African man known as the blade runner as he wears two prosthetic legs, a Paralympic and Olympic athlete has been charged with the murder of his girlfriend. I read the news earlier that he surprised who he thought was a burglar but was in fact his girlfriend surprising him at his home in the early hours for Valentines Day. The police had a press conference and said that they never said that at all and he is being charged with her murder. 

Obviously a man is innocent until proved guilty and it is way too early to speculate but no matter how it goes a young woman is dead which is horribly tragic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/14/oscar-pistorius-murder-charge-south-africa
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Oscar Pistorius charged with murder
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

Indeed VERY shocking news here also.  He held such high respect for what he had acccomplished.  It is so sad.  Hoping he really didn't know who it was @ the time the shots rang out.

Keep us posted. ;)

Offline dannyy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Steve and Ann, I heard this on the radio this morning also. I was sorry to hear about that too. I guess it just goes to remind us that people are people despite how many limbs we have. We're no less or more than anyone else. I hope the accusations are untrue, but the fact remains that a young woman is no longer with us. I hope she met her goals in this life.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
It is still shocking. The most damning report came from the police.

"The South Africa police service were just as surprised this morning to hear on the radio that allegations had been made that the deceased had been perceived to be a burglar. We were very surprised and those allegations did not come from us."
Beukes said witnesses and neighbours claim to have heard unusual sounds on Wednesday evening and when the shooting took place. There had "previously been allegations of a domestic nature at Mr Pistorius's home", she said, adding that Pistorius was being "treated like any other normal person".

Another report stated the neighbors heard shouting and yelling.

It's early days and the trial, if there is to be one, hasn't even started but it's mad how we tend to think that famous athletes or celebs aren't capable of horrible things. It's just hard to imagine. He may be completely innocent but this reminds me of the O.J Simpson trial. Totally different cases, totally different men but still the same disbelief that they could have done anything wrong.

As far as her meeting her goals I read the she was a law graduate, top model and presenter. Definitely a determined, intelligent woman.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
It is sad that it seems so many role models even amputees are not turning out to be the role models everyone needs.  We are saddened that a beautiful women had to lose her life period. He should some of his temper at the para Olympics when he accused another amputee for cheating with longer blades. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the beautiful women who's life was cut way to short for no reaso