Author Topic: Cloning a socket?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline uScott

• View Profile
Cloning a socket?
« on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »
Should I expect a prosthetic shop to be able to fabricate a perfect (or near perfect) duplicate of an existing socket? Especially a shop associated with a large, national, unnamed O&P conglomerate, who presumably has access to state-of-the-art CAD/CAM equipment?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cloning a socket?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
they can come real close to doing  it but not perfect, it is  best to have them make a test socket first and try that on you first before they make your socket.
you-all have a great day.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »
They can line your exsisting socket with a condom-type apparatus and pour liquid material into the socket which will harden quickly and create a positive solid mold of the socket. I had a prosthetist do this for me once when I wanted an exact match for a new pealite insert for my right side bk prosthesis.
pin-hi

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:13:01 AM »
I have often wondered this myself. When you have a socket that works well it is nice to get the same again. My limbfitter would much rather take a cast of my leg and basically start from scratch. Luckily they made me a good fitting leg, that said it is their job.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
Scott and Pin-hi, i am real picky when it come to my legs, i have at time gone through four sets of test sockets before i let them make to final one for me, and they must fit like and old pair of shoes or i dont accept them, and i mean no sore or tight spot at all on either socket.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
This wasn't cloning a socket what so ever but I did have a limbfitter create a test socket in what I thought was a advanced/odd way. He had a machine that I put my leg into and that scanned my leg. A bit like how a ships sonar can map the ocean floor. He then uploaded that information into another machine that created a mold of my leg that he built the test socket on.
It was years ago and I remember the socket wasn't great and I think he went back to time honoured way of using plaster of paris to create a mold of my leg...
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
They may be able to duplicate a socket but will still be different and they still have to align it correctly otherwise it is no good.  If your socket is good do you want it copied because the rest of it wore out?  Also the technology for liners etc may be different when that socket was made that sometimes what you think is comfortable until you try something better.plus you still have your old leg during the process and hopefully your new socket would be even more comfortable than the old.
Best of luck.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
Dolphin, there haven't been many changes in my socket technology. Plain old AK suction socket, no liners, no socks, simple as can be.

Turns out, what they were doing was taking a cast of my old socket, and then instead of making a duplicate, they were making "corrections" to the mold -- changing or removing the features that make my old socket work so well. Yes, instead of making the duplicate that I asked for, they were making something that was quite a lot not very much at all like my old socket, and then wondering why I couldn't walk on the stupid thing.

I finally got ticked off enough (stop wasting my time!) to demand that they make an EXACT duplicate, do not alter the trim lines, do not smooth out those big ridges, do not adjust the volume. They did. The lab tech actually bet money that this weird socket was going to tear me up, that I wouldn't be able to wear it for 15 minutes, let alone walk on it. He lost his bet. I walked on that sucker for a solid week, and it felt pretty good.

They're pulling the 2nd test socket now, with a couple of minor tweaks. I'm optimistic.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:15:15 AM »
I thought the old technology was best until I tried a socket with custom silicone liner, sock and then carbon fiber socket and R&B sleeve at the top to hold section and a tiney one way valve on the inside toward the bottom and it is like heaven the silicone cushions my residual limb and my trim lines are pretty low because I have developed my muscles which would have been trapped in a high socket with A brim. Of course it still has to fit etc, it is an ak though. I am a convert and willing to try new technology but I will definitely let them know sometimes hocus pocus  is just a way to make more money not a better socket. I have had too many prosthesis in the past that sat in the closet.