Author Topic: What has everyone been up to?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
What has everyone been up to?
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »
The forum has gotten a bit quiet to say the least. I thought I might ask around to see what people are up to these days. Anyone going on holiday? Starting a new job?

Myself, things are quiet enough but keeping busy. I am working on a painting for an exhibition at the moment. I am in a guild (Illustrators Ireland) and each artist is coupled with someone in the creative industry (advertising, galleries etc) or the music industry, radio etc. The person we are paired with chooses one Beatles song for their artist to illustrate. The exhibition is in Dublin in October.

Besides that I was able to spend some time on Clare Island (in the west of Ireland, great spot)! Now I'm just waiting for/dreading winter  :(, and trying to fit a bit of writing in.

Hope all are well.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
Re: What has everyone been up to?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
Hi Steve Hi All

I have been vacationing in alaska for a month and was in seattle for 10 days  visiting my son and his family. I had a great time. I took the ferry from haines to bellingham. It was a four day trip and I met lots of great people from all over the world. Several had brought their antique cars, trucks and motorcycles  to drive the al/can highway. My leg held up well on the trip although on several occasions I was not able to do my daily care on my residual leg or change my liner.
herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
The forum has gotten a bit quiet to say the least. I thought I might ask around to see what people are up to these days. Anyone going on holiday? Starting a new job?

Myself, things are quiet enough but keeping busy. I am working on a painting for an exhibition at the moment. I am in a guild (Illustrators Ireland) and each artist is coupled with someone in the creative industry (advertising, galleries etc) or the music industry, radio etc. The person we are paired with chooses one Beatles song for their artist to illustrate. The exhibition is in Dublin in October.

Besides that I was able to spend some time on Clare Island (in the west of Ireland, great spot)! Now I'm just waiting for/dreading winter  :(, and trying to fit a bit of writing in.

Hope all are well.

Hi, Steve, what type of weather do you normally have?  All 4 seasons as we do in the states?  And I honestly think YOU do not like the winter that much...how cold does it get?
 ;)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »
The weather in Ireland isn't always the best. Loads of rain! Where I am the winters may get cold (a few years ago the lake next to froze over as did many water pipes going to local houses) but last year it was relatively mild. We might get the odd bit of snow but it never usually lasts more than a day. We do have four seasons...but different ones. Autumn: mild but rainy with the odd good day. Winter: cold, windy and rainy. Spring: warmer, windy and rainy. Summer: warm/mild and rainy with hopefully a scattering of nice blue skies.

A very warm day is about 75 F and a very cold day maybe around 20F.

I don't mind winter really. What I don't like is when the water supply to the house freezes! The mains water to the house is basically a reinforced garden hose. Where its buried its usually fine but it in places where it is above ground and where it goes over stone and can easily freeze. That and I do like warm weather!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »
I've had a new set of legs just finished....better suited for golf than my day to day legs. My trike has had a new clutch installed but the differential and axle are hooped. I'll be replacing the faulty bits as cash becomes available. I've just had carpal tunnel release surgery on my left hand and will have a second carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand once this one heals and an OR time becomes available.

Steve, I've moved out of Victoria and to Cobble Hill just over the Malahat from Victoria. (about a 40 minute drive) So, now we have 2 horses, chickens and some quiet. A big change for this city boy.

I'm also nursing an ulcer on the underside of my right stump which has been there for a while now. Staying off the legs and healing the right stump and left wrist all at the same time. Things will get better!

Looking forward to riding and golfing in the Spring once the surgeries and leg are all healed.
pin-hi

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
I also am mending due to a sore on the amputed leg...on antibotics for 10 days.  God I hate not being up and walking.  I don't care what they do., I still find some way of hitting bottom., therefore making a sore.  Have had this for a month & then it got worse & had to get meds for it.  This is a new leg with a ring just below the knee rather than the 5 rings used on the others.  I can't wear the other brand due to my leg being too tapered.

Steve:  Sounds as if you really have alot of rain...is that why Ireland is soooo green?   ;)       

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »
pin-hi,

Sorry, I wanted to tell you to hang in there and get healed up quick. ;)

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
I have a couple updates also, I had carpel tunnel release on one wrist 2 yrs ago and now the othe, it was arthroscopic and nothing cut that should have been and I was much better than before within 10 days. Very tiny scar on wrists an amazing surgeon and great technology cand do. Plus my surgeon understand how importantmy hands are for me. Hope yours heals quickly pin hi.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Ann,
As far as a tapered residual limb I can relate, I am An ak little different but no leg is the same and I use custom liners and before that (many years ago they would use a distil cup (iceross) makes it and it would make my stump more even and the pistining you can get with that void can cause major sores, and yes the only way to heal it is soaking it and not wearing the prosthesis.
Good luck