Author Topic: this jackass did it again  (Read 2019 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
this jackass did it again
« on: July 07, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
spent the last four hours in ER get my fingers sewed back up, seven stiches in both my index and middle fingers down to the bone, I droped my hand into my table saw agian, makes the fourth time now for those two fingers and i know it will not be the last time because of the small work i do, and i free hand cut the small pieaces. and it is one big saw, the top measures 5X7 inches and uses a 3 inche carbide blade.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: this jackass did it again
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jack. Saws are wicked things, I have a mitre saw and I know how easy it is to get caught. Hope you heal up quickly. Is there not a way to use a hand saw? Its not as fast but definitely safer.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
i use one as much as possible, hqve two small miter boxes that i use but it is the angles that get me, and iwas using it as a sawmill when it happened i was cutting some pieases down to size and without relizing it i switched sides of the saw went to hold it down and it was on the other side and i layed my fingers right into the saw blade. what hurts the most is where the doc but the needle in to deaden my fingers so that he could sew me up, he shoved and scrapedd the bones real bad an it is all awelled up and real sore this morining.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:37:44 PM »
Won't u be done if u amputate them{ by the saw}.  Are u still building ships?  Better start whittling w/a knife...wouldn't that be alittle safer.

Keep it up today to help w/the swelling...and heal fast. 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
I would hate to no be able to work doing what I loved, the way I was used to doing it. That said, as Ann  mentioned, if the the saw caught you bad enough (which I know is easy as it is completely unforgiving) you're boat building day would be over.
I have never met you but as a friend I would say build them 'old school'. No electronic saws. Yes, I'm talking hand saw, knives etc only. You're well able to do this. Back in the day all boat models were constructed via hand tools.

I never thought I would lose a leg. You probably never thought you'd lose yours. Don't lose fingers if there is another way.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:17:17 PM »
Don't they have some kind of protect gloves or guards you could use?  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I was thinking about gloves too but I don't think they  have any for that do they?
Thanks! 
_

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
Hi Jack

sorry to hear that you have hurt yourself again with your saw.

you really need to throw that saw out and invest in a new one that is equipped with the sawstop technology that stops the saw instantly when flesh touches the blade. They are coming way down in price. It would be cheaper that a visit to the emergency room and a lot less painful.

hope you heal well and fast
herb

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
I agree lose the saw, it is not worth it. Hope you heal quickly.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Herb and Dolphin, can throw it out cause i need it to free hand cut real small peacies that i need for my in lays and do have a guard for it, but i cut too small off chuncks and i was cutting  lumber the day it happened and  i was back at  it in three days, just got back off of road trip down to KEY WEST FLORIDA AND BACK, and am trying to get caught up on all the web sites that i go into every day.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:46 AM »
Sorry just worried for your safety. Please be careful.