Author Topic: Chinese amputee builds his own prosthetic arms  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Chinese amputee builds his own prosthetic arms
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:08:42 AM »
A man who lost both hands when a homemade bomb exploded has finally created a new pair of arms after eight years of planning. 
Sun Jifa could not afford the hospital's prosthetic limbs after the explosive for blast fishing detonated prematurely, but desperately needed the use of his hands to work on the family farm.
That's when the 51-year-old from Guanmashan, Jilin province, northern China, decided to create his own bionic hands.

...Now he plans to develop the design for other similarly disabled people.
'I made this from scrap metal for virtually nothing. There is no need to pay hospitals a fortune,' he said.

The entire article is here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188226/Bionic-hands-Chinese-man-spends-years-building-new-arms-DIY-accident.html

Interesting article. I actually like the look of them somewhat! His right arm seems to have a way to attach various tools. One picture there is a hammer attached, the other picture shows a saw there. Great ingenuity, but I think I'll stay with my limbfitter.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese amputee builds his own prosthetic arms
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:56:28 PM »
dont like to sound like a doom sayer, but if that OBAMA CARE goes into effect they is gonna be a lot of that happening right here in the states, cause it does away with DURABAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT in MEDICARE and thaat is were our legs and arms fall under, i am lucky that i am drawing VA compensation and can get mine made by uncle sam, but done know how  longe that will last though.

The guy has done a great job on them, just showes what one can do it you but your mind to  it.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »
We should count our blessing we have what we have, even if it is not the best, at least we don't have to build are own.  Although based on some of the comments some people may do a better job than the product they were given.  I have been fortunate to have  great Prosthetist.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
dont like to sound like a doom sayer, but if that OBAMA CARE goes into effect they is gonna be a lot of that happening right here in the states, cause it does away with DURABAL MEDICAL EQUIPMENT in MEDICARE and thaat is were our legs and arms fall under, i am lucky that i am drawing VA compensation and can get mine made by uncle sam, but done know how  longe that will last though.

The guy has done a great job on them, just showes what one can do it you but your mind to  it.

PegLeg, glad to hear from you....haven't heard much out of u.  Haven't cut any more fingers off have u.  One last question:  R you sure there is money through the VA after all his cuts?  Have a nice day.   :)