Author Topic: Anyone watching the Olympics?  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Anyone watching the Olympics?
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:40 AM »
I've watched a few events myself. Here in Ireland the is a great vibe around Katie Taylor. Shes a boxer from Bray here in Ireland. Everyone seems to have Katie fever! She fights for the gold today, I hope she gets it!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Anyone watching the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
I don't know who fights for USA....do you?  or if there is anyone in that class.  I know I have sure enjoyed the Olympics this year....just love to watch them.  When do the Paralymipics {did I spell that right} start., and will we be able to see them in the US.  Hope so.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
To be honest I haven't a clue! The only American athlete whose name I know is the swimmer Phelps. 
Heres a link to check out the USA team.
http://www.london2012.com/country/united-states/

I haven't watched a huge amount of events but I do catch a bit here and there. I ended up missing the events with the South African Oscar Pritorious (the double leg amputee who ran in the regular Olympics). I wish I knew how he did.

The Paralympics starts in 18 days 8 hours and 47 minutes. (I just checked their website and it shows a countdown clock!). I would assume that they'll show it in America. I haven't even checked if its being broadcast here in Ireland but I assume so. Maybe if just the events with Irish participants. After I lost my leg I had little dreams about being in the paralympics. I'm pushing 50 now, I wonder if it's too late!

http://www.london2012.com/paralympics/sports/
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
Steve, It's never too late!  This coming from a man who farms, takes care of animals and does tough physical work?  If you want to try - go for it!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
Haha, it would be brilliant but I wonder if there is enough time in the day to train and still do my bits and pieces.

If I were to take the plunge I would be leaning towards either: rowing, sailing, swimming, or athletics. In that order. The fact that Ireland is a small country works in in my favour. Less competition! That said for me to think I can just take up a sport and qualify for the Paralympics is a bit cheeky to say the least. It obviously takes supreme dedication, talent and time. That said, I still think that anyone who wants something bad enough can achieve it. So all you future paralympians, get out there and train!

If you were to compete, what would be your event????

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:27:31 AM »
I am a couch potato and have been one for all my life.  Does accounting or reading count as a sport? LOL  You,pegleg and some of the others are amazing!  Here is a favorite picture.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »
I am an addict, I am glad it is over. The Paralympics starts In a few weeks, I know some of the athletes. Katy Sullivan amputee runner and cheer for Ricahrd Browne he made the us team for 100 m 4x 1 relay and high jump. He is very humble guy.
I wish everyone well. I know in the states it will be covered by NBC so check local listing, I also know it will be carried in Canada. This should motivate all of us to stay in shape.
Enjoy😊

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Loved your post Dolphin....I too am an avid olympics watcher.  So glad to know NBC will televise those also.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:01 PM »
I was pretty disappointed at the lack of coverage for the paraolympics on NBC, I know England and Canada had a lot more. I had to go to the Internet to see most of what I wanted.  Richard Browne won a silver in the 100m on a new Running Foot made by Freedom Innovations called the catapult. I am very happy for Richard.  The foot is very cool because of the adaptability so you can use it for sprinting or distance. I have not used it but people who I know that have, love it.
Congrats to all the athletes that worked so hard just to make the teams.
I wish they had more events for stand up not just wheelchair, like basket ball, volleyball ( not sitting when we can play on our prosthesis), all that money and we can't play standing up.
Just my thoughts

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
I was thinking Ireland would have good coverage but it wasn't to be. The main Irish channels only showed the highlights in the evening. I could watch the paralympics in its entirety on the BBC but it would obviously be geared towards British athletes and their events. There were loads of people giving out about the lack of Irish coverage.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »
I thought the. Overage of the paraolympics was sobad adthey should very few sports and the ones thesis show they should too much like wheelchair basketball.  Also whenare they going to realize we can compete Ina lot of sports on our prosthetics, like volleyball I donorknowaboutcrawllyaround on my but whenihave legs that make it so ican do these standing up, also basketball, if Internet searchamputeebasketbal or AMP1 thisisa great group of athletes playing on prosthetics really well, why a chairifwe  do not need it?
Thoughts