Author Topic: AK's: Any tips on cushioning the socket rim?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
AK's: Any tips on cushioning the socket rim?
« on: July 25, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
Greetings, everyone, and welcome to the newbies; this site is such a gift! 

This is a little embarrassing, but it's been a pesky issue for over 40 years for me and all my CPs.  The top of my socket, no matter how well rounded or curved, cuts into the groin area unless it's well cushioned with some soft material taped down over the rim,  but then the cushion tends to throw off the fit some days.  The only thing that works pretty well is wearing a 1-ply sock over my gel liner and keeping it pulled up and over the top of the socket, which means constant readjustments during the day when the sock rolls back down in the socket.  It doesn't help that the top of my thunder thigh has a lot of excess skin because I lost a lot of weight quickly a while back. 

It's so frustrating since I just got a new leg that's an awesome fit and I'm aching to break out and take it for a way-overdue long walk, but I'll give myself a leg-ectomy if I'm not careful, and it's just not ladylike in the mall to constantly be reaching in and pulling up my sock to keep the socket cushioned  :o.

Any tips?  Seems like it should be a simple fix, but it ain't!!! 

(FWIW, I have a narrow ML socket with a pin-lock gel liner, which works great for me except for the cushion problem).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:39:16 PM by SusanN366 »
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: AK's: Any tips on cushioning the socket rim?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
I have at the top of my socket a plastic I will find out what exactly it is called that is more flexible that just the carbon fiber, my liner keeps any excess tissue contained and sometimes the wall can be lowered on the inside as long as your liner is containing your tissue and the outside wall is supporting you well enough. Men and Women inner wall have to be different because of our anatomical differences. I used to have that problem many years ago but not any more.
Hope this helps

Offline SusanN366

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
This was helpful, Dolphin...thanks.  I was wondering if the liner could be cut higher; I'll talk to the CP about it.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this problem!
SusanN
Right AKA, 1972

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
Maybe if you had a way to secure your 1-ply to the outside top of the socket, to mechanically prevent it from sucking itself down? Some hook-side velcro maybe? Depends on the texture of the sock I guess.

FWIW my socket brim gives me constant grief as well. I think it's the lot of AKs who aren't lean and athletic. So, most of us.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »
A socket can be made to fit comfortably even if you are not in great shape and you will never reduce  the excess tissue unless it gets contained. I know the brim does not have to jab you in the Groin area.  My liner comes above the top of my socket and my brim is not high enough to jab me.
Hope this helps.