Author Topic: NEW LEG !!!!!  (Read 7711 times)

Offline ann

• View Profile
NEW LEG !!!!!
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
Question,  I just received my new leg and it fit perfectly ( even length ) was perfect.  Now since it has been cosmetically covered it is too long & when I have to add socks it just makes it terrible  ???

How about some info on this.  Thanks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEW LEG !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:55:24 PM »
Ann, tell your CPO the same thing , it sounds like something was move when they put the cover on instead of trimming it to fit the leg, when they covered a piar for me, the cover had to be trimed quit a bit to fit,
you-all have a great day.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:12:21 PM »
Ann, tell your CPO the same thing , it sounds like something was move when they put the cover on instead of trimming it to fit the leg, when they covered a piar for me, the cover had to be trimed quit a bit to fit,

"PegLeg"  and when I tell them, they will swear that they never changed anything...they have done things like this before.

I thought maybe they should have have allowed for adding the cover..I will give it a try, but know what he will tell me.

Offline King Rocky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:39:24 AM »
I have always used a Cosmetic covering for just about 2 years now.  And this is my second knee joint.  The first one was 3R60 and now it's the 3R80 - i got the new one basically for the stance support.
These 2 joints are slightly different ... so the same cosmetic covering didn't fit.  I had to get a new one done.
What I did realize though, even on the first one, was that if one needs a cosmetic covering, then the socket needs to be adjusted in a such a way, that it allows that extra bit of foam to compensate for the length, so it matches the good leg.
A good prosthetist would do that naturally - I mean, the ones with experience would be able to do that.
Since they do the adjustments prior to the covering, most of the time it's forgotten and people just go on with it.
I'm quite particular about it, so a few adjustments were made.

If I were to remove the cosmetic covering and when I sit, surely the prosthetic leg, would feel a bit inside ... but I don't have any intentions to remove my covering ... so it's not an issue.

The height below the knee can be adjusted, so it doesn't compromise with the overall length of the prosthesis.

Ann, you are an above knee, I presume!
I'm not sure how different it could be with below knee.
King Rocky
aka - Jan. '06
"Significant times in life are NOT ALWAYS significant, when we are going through it" -  Rajan '98

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
"King Rocky"

Sorry I missed seeing your post...no, I am LBK amp. & since I had it covered; it definately feels longer than it was.  I have to assume they have added on the bottom of my foot.  I can see no other reason for the difference in length.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:01:03 PM »
Dose your leg feel heavier when its covered? Mine dose it feels lighter before the cosmetic cover.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:35:03 PM »
"snowbear"

Yes it does.

;)
ann

snowbear

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:17:08 AM »
I thought so so dose mine..its more comfortable UN covered..BUT I like it covered it just my personal choice!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:45:23 AM »
Snowbear and Ann, it sure does add wieght to your leg when you have it covered, that is one of the reasons i donot have mine covered and then i was ripping mine up to fast, because i get up and down on my knees qiut often out in the yard when i am working around our flower beds or pulling weeds that the weed killer didnt get, so i run around sans covers now and loving it,

snowbear

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
I think It dose to...I still like it covered for personal reasons.. I wore a brace since age 8 months..And had many surgeries my leg was like a road map of scares! :) Having a leg with no scars and feet the same size (even though one id fake! :)) Is a treat to be and being a women I like it covered,,I really think men can get away with it more though.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 07:33:28 PM »
Snowbear, that is one off the privileged of being a female, and the way you described your leg, i feel and think that you deserve to have two real good looking legs to show off.

snowbear

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
AWW  thanks pegleg! it was a mess,,,It looked like a steam roller ran over it! :) But hey! I'm still standin! and living! Again thanks for your kind words!

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:53:02 PM »
Question,  I just received my new leg and it fit perfectly ( even length ) was perfect.  Now since it has been cosmetically covered it is too long & when I have to add socks it just makes it terrible  ???

How about some info on this.  Thanks.

Did you get to the root of the problem?

Sometimes the tubes are a bit stiff to get in the tube clamps, when the prosthetist takes the limb apart to add the cover, the tube might not have gone all the way back in - making it a bit longer than it felt at fitting..... thats the only thing i can think of (other than your volume changing and you being held out of the socket)....

snowbear

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
Ann how are you?Hows the new leg feeling?

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
I find that when the adjustments are made prior to putting on the cover the knee dosnt work at all the same as prior to putting it on.  The foam is put on after adjustments and all these adjustments are out the window as far as I am concerned.  I walked stiff legged for a long time till the foam cover got broke in sore to speak.  Then I was told to bend the leg at nite time.  I never walked the same as when I did without the cover or as good without it. I no longer wear a cover so I have the freedoom of the knee and its proper flexing as when the leg was adjusted so to speak.