Author Topic: Amputee Swimmer Braving The North Sea  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Amputee Swimmer Braving The North Sea
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »
Inspiring, but to be honest I am not a fan of cold waters. He can be hard to understand at times, he has a fairly thick accent. At the time he's a bit hard to decifer, I think he's talking about cutting the toes off his prosthetic when they got in the way.
Watching him put on my leg towards the end of the video I wonder how it stays on. I didn't see the pin system or a suspension sleeve!

Charity fundraiser John Ellison has swum in open water for over 30 years raising thousands of pounds for good causes.

The 66-year-old from Gateshead swims in Cullercoats Bay in North Shields six days a week throughout the year without wearing a wet suit - something he says keeps him feeling fit and alive.

His achievements are all the more remarkable due to the fact that he only has one foot which he lost in a fire 45 years ago.

Mr Ellison from Gateshead has so far raised a total of £12,000 for charities including the RNLI, Marie Curie and the Charlie Bear Cancer Appeal.

Video Link: http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/video/21655
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: Amputee Swimmer Braving The North Sea
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:07:58 PM »
Interesting...I also do not see any toes & from the angle it looks very much like its kind of in the shape of a block.  Guess I missed the part of him putting on his leg.  Have to glance at it again.

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
Re: Amputee Swimmer Braving The North Sea
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
It might help him if he got a swimming foot for his prosthesis, they flip up to walk on and down like a normal ankle for swimming, I use the Freedom swim foot.  Gives you extra power than just a regular foot or a block. Just an FYI. Maybe the organization that he raises money for coul get him this foot. :)