Author Topic: swimming wth leg or legs on  (Read 2130 times)

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
swimming wth leg or legs on
« on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:36 AM »
Need to know just how you guys do it, i tyred it and my legs acted like massive boat anchors and down to the bottom of my i went in one big hurry and then had the problem of getting the water out of my legs and everything dry out.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Oneblueleg

• Hampshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: swimming wth leg or legs on
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
No advantage whatsoever to swim with mine on, but getting to and from the water it'd be nice to have something.

jmoore

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
hi pl i know am a ak little different then you but  i pull into my swim socket then i put a small post on with a fiber glass foot with a fin and off i go kind of a pain to do but a great way to get in shape the guy that made my swim leg was a rbk and a diver he said he found buy using the kind of hollow fiber glass foot gives you some buoyancy hope that helps

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:47:18 AM »
Hi Jack - I do a lot of swimming both in lakes, and the ocean. I at first would take my leg off and then walk to the water with crutches and leave my crutches on the shore or on the dock. The last several years I have found it to be better to go to the water wearing a plastic peg leg. Many of the places I swim have steep, rocky banks that were not very safe to use crutches on. With the peg leg I have no fear of falling. My peg leg is light enough that I can leave it on while I swim although I often take it off at the waters edge and put it back on when I get out of the water. I live on a 450 acre lake and swim daily in hot weather. Herb

snowbear

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »
Did you use a air tight water cover over your  prosthetic legs..Like they have for cast?

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:10 PM »
I have tried both ocean and pool with my leg on and didn't find it that bad, but that was back in the day when I had a really basic foot that was not too pricey.  My leg has a foam cover so it has a tendency to float to the surface which is a bit of a pain, and while snorkeling I found that I had to content myself with just floating/drifting above the coral, I just couldn't maneuver that well with the foot fixed at a right angle lol.  The water definitely got into the pipe, my cp laughed when we could hear the ocean when we put my leg up to the ear just like you do with a sea shell, lol and then he had to use a torch to loosen the bolts as they had rusted on.  I would never even consider going into the water without a leg on, but I am not very good with crutches, I prefer my leg on every moment that I am not in bed. I hope to eventually have a dedicated swim leg as I am not sure that I would risk wrecking my new gear.

anne