Author Topic: sockets and o.p.  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
sockets and o.p.
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:41 AM »
im now on my third socket in 4 years. still not satisfied. first one was too wobbley and alot of pistoning. 2nd was too tight and could hardly bend my knee to walk up steps and then left the bone right below my knee looking swollen. went back to the first op and he made this one worst than the first  one. i just put the first one back on till i figure out what im going to do. anyone recommend any place that does satisfactory and quality work. im in ny, but at this point i would probably travel if thats what it takes

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: sockets and o.p.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »

I had three in the 1st. year....I was not a happy camper, let me tell u that  >:(  Bad thing, none of them fit, but the excuse I got was do to the rapid shrinkage of my leg, I could only wear one approximately 3 to 4 mo.  Found out later {that was true}  the rest of the time w/that prothesis was totally just a waste of time.  He was a "go by the book person" and wouldn't deviate from what else could be wrong or if HE could be wrong.

I will agree that it will take some time to find a clinic that will work w/you and listen to what u are saying.  It's always been a pain having a new prosthesis made....they tell me I am hard to fit.  The rest of our group will start chiming in soon and u will have some differences of opinion to take into consideration.  There r several who will suggest different prosthetic clinics.   Hang in there.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »
showtime1k, lost my legs in 2002, and right now i am wearing my fifth pair, i wear them out and yes i went throuth a couple of people before i found one that would  listin to me and do it so that it would fit and fit good, have one now that i need to go and see cause i am having problems with a bone spur on my left stump and the socket needs to be opened up a bit to stop me from rubbing hard in that area. And also you dont have to sign for them until you are satisfied with the fit and they are required law to make them fit to you feeling. i know that cause we went through four test sockets before i knew that he had gotten them right. And this is more than i have posted on here in a  long time, jusst havent had much to say, and have been busier than a one arem paper hanger working in my hobby.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »
thanks, this information is useful. how often can you get a new socket. is there a time period or when required? and once you have one made up, up till when are they responsible for the fitment, i mean does the prosthesist have like a warranty period?

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
If you are on MEDICARE you can get new ones every year if you have a doc that  will write a per scription for them, if not one pair per every three years and i am coming up on my three years next year and i need a new set of feet that i cannot afford to pay for my self. now for MEDICAID i dont know any thing about them or how they work cause me and my better half make to much money to qualify. Usually in your first year or so you will  need new ones depending on how fast your stump shrinks down, i didnot have that problem because of insurance mess up and it was almost six months be fore i got my first pair and by then my stumps had shrunk down quite a bit.

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
got medicare. how bout feet. are those till the warranty is up on the product?

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 06:44:13 AM »
I used to go on about a leg I had made a year or two ago. Good news is it got sorted. My old used the suspension sleeves and alpha liners. The new one was made using the pin system and a thin liner. The new leg never felt good and routinely made my leg numb. The fella who made it was trying to make a leg that was very responsive, but it proved painful in my case.

My prosthetist then moved to a war torn country (I can't remember the name) to make prosthetics for civilians and I was given a new prosthetist who I had never met before. She said she was the one that deals with 'hard to fit' amps. We went back to the suspension sleeve and alpha liners. When she made my socket, she made a separate foam type socket that fits within the main socket. It made it easy to make minor adjustments without messing with the outer socket. When the adjustments were made the foam socket was glued into the fibreglas socket.
Where I thought I would not have a good fitting socket again, she made it work. A few months ago I thought of my old leg (built in 2001) as my battered (three times I repaired the cracked socket myself) but comfy leg. I thought of it as the only leg I could use for doing physical labour.
Now I don't think about the old leg at all. The poor old work horse is banished to the corner of the bedroom and may soon find itself in the wardrobe.

Chances are its a bit far to go but my prosthetist is out of Apos in the west of Ireland.

http://www.apos.ie/
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
Heres a picture of the inner foam socket I was talking about. I don't know if this is common place or not. It makes it easy to not only grind away areas but to add to areas as well. A nice touch for someone who may be finding it hard getting a socket to fit right.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
showtime1k, lost my legs in 2002, and right now i am wearing my fifth pair, i wear them out and yes i went throuth a couple of people before i found one that would  listin to me and do it so that it would fit and fit good, have one now that i need to go and see cause i am having problems with a bone spur on my left stump and the socket needs to be opened up a bit to stop me from rubbing hard in that area. And also you dont have to sign for them until you are satisfied with the fit and they are required law to make them fit to you feeling. i know that cause we went through four test sockets before i knew that he had gotten them right. And this is more than i have posted on here in a  long time, jusst havent had much to say, and have been busier than a one arem paper hanger working in my hobby.

U better get back on here posting Mr.....have missed ur input & liked ur "busier than a one armed paperhanger"  now that's busy   :)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »

U better get back on here posting Mr.....have missed ur input & liked ur "busier than a one armed paperhanger"  now that's busy   :)

My favorite is: 'Busier then a one legged man in a ass kicking contest'

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »

Holy shit, Steve......now that's funny.   Hope I don't get kicked off here for saying s#i& but it certainly did fit.  Still   ;D :D ;D :D  !!!

PS: Can't u just see this in your mind     ;D :o :D

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
Heres a picture of the inner foam socket I was talking about. I don't know if this is common place or not. It makes it easy to not only grind away areas but to add to areas as well. A nice touch for someone who may be finding it hard getting a socket to fit right.

nice. never see one like that. ive had the alpha spirits 6mm uniform and those where the most comfortable, but the prosthetic alignment was horrible and they wore down to the point it feels like a rubber band attaches me to the prosthetic. but i liked it better than this thin iceross i have now

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:58:23 AM »
The thin iceross was the one I ditched to go back to the 6mm alphas. Yeah, I have had pistoning in the past but I usually just had to put an extra sock on.
I switched to a different suspension sleeve. I had the alpha sleeve but then tried the endolite sleeve. It worked decent but wore out fast until I lined the edge of my socket with thin leather. Now they are lasting pretty good. And..are a quite a bit cheaper than the alpha.

Also, you can't see it but the leg in the picture has a removable cosmetic cover. They all are removable really, but this was made to make it easier. The foam is cut down the back and secured at the top, bottom and down the back with velcro. It makes taking it off easy. They covered it in a 'skin' something akin to pantyhose, not my first choice. My old rubber 'skin' was mighty to repel water but I must admit it was a bear to get on and off.
The reason I had them make it with a removable cosmetic is that I do a good bit of kayaking and having the cosmetic cover on while out isn't the best. My kayak is a 'ride on top' and one day I capsized it. No problem, just get back on, but I ended up in the sea in a sitting position and the foam was so buoyant it made it very hard to get back in the boat. (I would normally just lean forward from the sitting position but the buoyant foam kept pushing me backwards. I copped on I had to roll onto my stomach and try again.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
No Ann yjou aint ggonna get kicked off for using that word, its not that bad and if it offends anyone let me know and will take it off, other wise it stay on here.

Offline Showtime1k

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 01:11:05 PM »
The thin iceross was the one I ditched to go back to the 6mm alphas. Yeah, I have had pistoning in the past but I usually just had to put an extra sock on.
I switched to a different suspension sleeve. I had the alpha sleeve but then tried the endolite sleeve. It worked decent but wore out fast until I lined the edge of my socket with thin leather. Now they are lasting pretty good. And..are a quite a bit cheaper than the alpha.

Also, you can't see it but the leg in the picture has a removable cosmetic cover. They all are removable really, but this was made to make it easier. The foam is cut down the back and secured at the top, bottom and down the back with velcro. It makes taking it off easy. They covered it in a 'skin' something akin to pantyhose, not my first choice. My old rubber 'skin' was mighty to repel water but I must admit it was a bear to get on and off.
The reason I had them make it with a removable cosmetic is that I do a good bit of kayaking and having the cosmetic cover on while out isn't the best. My kayak is a 'ride on top' and one day I capsized it. No problem, just get back on, but I ended up in the sea in a sitting position and the foam was so buoyant it made it very hard to get back in the boat. (I would normally just lean forward from the sitting position but the buoyant foam kept pushing me backwards. I copped on I had to roll onto my stomach and try again.

nice touch with the leather trim on the edges. thatll work. i really wanna try the suction socket(dont know how long the limb has to be for that). after doing some research, it appears i have this

"PTB-SCSP (Supracondylar/Suprapatellar) socket trimlines come up even higher than those in PTB sockets, enclosing the patella and encompassing the femoral condyles.  The advantage of this type of socket design is anterior stability and overall added security.  However, the encompassing nature of this prosthetic socket design can be perceived as restrictive especially when kneeling. "

i can barely bend my leg to 90 degree. the inside has a triangular shape. probably why it can get uncomfortable at times.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:16:47 PM by Showtime1k »