Author Topic: article/ video double amputee afghanistan  (Read 2478 times)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
article/ video double amputee afghanistan
« on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
Hi All - I am back from alaska now and will be moving there late this summer. Hope I can find a good prosthetist there so I do not have to keep traveling back to NH

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/sport/afghanistan-paralympian/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: article/ video double amputee afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
Great story Herb. I also read the the link about the female boxer training in the Afghan stadium (where the Taliban used to execute women).

So you're making the move eh? Good luck. Once there you'll have to send a few panoramic shots of the area. Will you be in town or in the wilderness? I would assume that there will be a prosthetist closer than New Hampshire!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:15:13 PM »
Hi All - I am back from alaska now and will be moving there late this summer. Hope I can find a good prosthetist there so I do not have to keep traveling back to NH

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/26/sport/afghanistan-paralympian/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Good article Herb.... Have U already been looking for places to buy, etc.  I hear Alaska is a most beautiful place.   :)

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
Hi Steve
Hi Ann

I plan to move to Homer late this summer. Have seen several possible homes but have not made final choice yet. My only regret is leaving my plant collection behind. And my horses. The possible plant list for Homer is very much shorter than NH. Change is good and I am very much looking forward to the move.
herb

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »

Hope U and family will be happy with ur move.  Can't take ur horses?  Knowing U - U will find another hobby. 

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
You'd say you could take them but it would be a epic journey with the trailer!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
Hi Ann Hi Steve

I would love to take my horses but it would be difficult to keep them on the road in a trailer for 9 days and pasture is very limited where I will be living and hay is very expensive. It will take a year or two of getting ready before  I have horses again. I have met several people there that do keep horses. One guy I met sprouts 100 pounds of barley indoors every few days to have green roughage to feed his horses.
It will take me two trips with large trailers to get all the things I want to bring. I have a huge collection of tools and a large woodworking shop to move. I have to sell two of my tractors but will bring my smallest tractor and several implements. I will have to sell my power boats but will bring kayaks and canoes. I will most likely have to sell my snowmobiles. I will bring my two large dogs.
Fortunately a few of my kids have offered to help with driving on the 4,800 mile trip each way.

Herb

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
Herb, dont sell our snowmobles caause you are gonna need them this winter to get around in and also get ready for some 65 below zero weather up there, have friend that live up there the year around and they both have at least two snowmoblies at there disposal  and use both of them every year. and as for taking your horse dont do it cause there is not enough time for them to get used to the climate up there and grow hair long enough to protect them.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
Hi Jack
Haven't seen many posts from you recently. Hope all is well.
if I sell my snowmobiles I will replace them in Alaska. There are plenty of snowmobile dealers there. I am also planning to buy a 4x4 UTV to use there. I have a lot of decisions about what to bring and what to give away or sell. I have been a hoarder for years.
Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:15 AM »
We all have horse breeds that we prefer. In Alaska though maybe a Icelandic pony? Not a massive horse but I'd say they'd be happy enough with the cold weather!

http://www.alaskaicelandics.org/About.htm

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
Herb,  Why Alaska?  Just curious.  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Herb, have been around just havent had much tosay here l ately , so have just been not posting and that goes on all the sites that i am on.
you-all have a great day.

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 08:06:46 PM »
Hi Steve
I enjoyed seeing the pictures of the Icelandic ponies. One of my daughters is in Iceland right now. I know she plans to do some horseback riding there and may be on that breed. I weigh almost 200 pounds so I may be a little big for that breed. I have haflingers and mine get pretty hairy in the winter but they tolerate the cold well and never have to wear a blanket in the winter. They actually prefer to be outside even in below zero weather.

Herb

Offline herb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Hi Annieg
I have always loved the outdoors and have always chosen to live in the country. I had planned to retire on the water somewhere. Of the places I would like to live, ocean properties are cheaper in alaska. I love to fish and love to
eat seafood. I like the people in alaska. They are very independent. The weather is actually milder than in NH. I would have liked to have moved to BC but it is a little expensive for me.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
Thanks Herb.  It sounds like Alaska fills a lot of your needs.  I hope you enjoy your new adventure!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.