Author Topic: Elevated vacuum socket  (Read 4112 times)

Offline tonybka

• View Profile
Elevated vacuum socket
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:37:12 AM »
My prosthetist has brought up the possibility of making an elevated vacuum socket for me. I would like to know the pros and cons of these type of sockets. I am on my feet all day in a fabrication shop, am a BKA. Are they heavier than a typical socket/sleeve system? Do they hold you in a lot better? Can you run with them?

Thanks

Tony   

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Elevated vacuum socket
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
Tony, you have asked one real good question, i don't and cant use a vacuum socket because of being on RAT POSIN, they are afraid that it will start pulling blood out of my stumps. so i cant really say any thing about them and i am also interested in what kind of answers you get on this. so that i can include this information that i am making for new amputees down here in EAST TEXAS.
you-all have a great day.

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
P.L. Jack:  I use rat poison and a vacuum socket.  I have no problems whatsoever regarding the bloody stump issue, nor did doc or leg man every express any concern.  In fact, I am a very slow healer and went into a vacuum socket with a small unhealed wound and the vacuum socket enhanced the healing process and stump condition.

Tony: I use a Harmony P4 vacuum system.  It is now outmoded, and replaced by motor driven electronic vacuum systems available from several suppliers.  Do NOT consider the manual vacuum systems and DO consider the current motor driven electronic systems.  Beware of the early breed of these systems that were very noisy when they cycled on to maintain vacuum.  The noise the pump makes would scare surrounding persons in certain environments (think elevator or church).  Newer versions of these pumps are much quieter.  The Harmony P4 is heavy and has the disadvantage of being placed above the foot on the socket system, making it function like a pendulum on a grandfather clock.  A lot of excess weight to move around on the end of the leg.  The electronic systems are very light and have a much smaller impact being mounted on the lower part of the suction system.  The suction socket system makes a very intiminate stump/socket connection.  The connection simply does not piston or move, it is "stuck" in place.  I do have some discomofort where the top of the socket (wings pressing sides of knee) squeezes the knee so firmly that when not bearing weight (sitting) causes the knee to ache.  Vacuum level on the P4 is NOT adjustable, where most of the electronic systems have adjustable vacuum levels.  If you elect to investigate the suction systems, write your comments.

Notoes

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »
I've not heard the term 'elevated' used with a vacuum system. I wear a vacuum system that keeps my leg very secure all day. I, too, stand on my feet all day. I use a hand pump to vacuum the air out. The leg is lightweight, easy to donn and keeps me secure and comfy all day.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Robogirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
What you are wearing is an elevated vacuum system, Naseigfried. It's also known as a negative pressure system. Different names for the same thing.  :)

One thing to consider when choosing between one with electronic parts and one where you remove the air manually after you put it on (besides obvious things like what it will take to keep it in working order) is that the simpler one is lighter, and you can swim, dive, etc., with it on, which is a big plus.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:24:07 PM by Robogirl »
"The race does not always go to the swift, but often to those who keep on running."

Offline naseigfried

• Me on the right with Theron, my great legman. RIP
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace page
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
Thanks Robogirl. I had never heard what it was called. I like the system alot.
LBK since April 2004

Offline Jjbach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
First off:  I am a rbk since 2001. I have the evac vacuum system by Global and I love it.  I have been using it for about 2 years now.  Previous 5 years, the pin lock.
i am a plant manager and am on the production floor from 6:00AM to 4:30PM daily.  I never have to adjust my leg from the time I put it on in the morning until I take it off at night.  I cam even change pants without removing my leg.
Mine is a bit noisy when the vacuum runs low, but, because it is so rare, maybe once every 2 hrs for a few seconds I do not mind it.  The noise lets me know when there is a problem with my system.  Usually a pin hole in the sleeve.  That is the one major drawback.  the sleeve needs to be good for the system to work. 
Any questions, let me know.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
Billf, one of the main reason i don't use a vacuum is as i stated before and the fact that i have EDIEMA in both of my stumps and the blood vein's and arteries are real weak in that area, so the CPA and DOCTOR and myself felt that i would be better if i stayed a way from the vacuum systems all to gather.

Don't get me wrong for i would love to try them out, for at times on some mornings i just cant seem to get the pin lined up right, but that only seems to happen when i am in a hurry to get dressed and don't pay attention to what i am doing when i put my liners on.

Offline billf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
P.L. Jack:
I really would like to try a pin system to rid myself of dealing with the wad of sleeve behind the knee and the weight/flex and shock of the Harmony vac system.  You indicate that your stumps are fragile, as is the skin on mine.  How has a pin system treated you stumps in regard to abrasion/wounds?  Do you use a shock system, if so what is your opinion?  Any other comments regarding a pin system would be appreciated.
Notoes

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 05:06:52 PM »
Billf, i will see if i can answer your questrions on my using the pin lock/system, which i like real well and have had no problem to speak of with the exception of a bone spur that is growing on the out side of my left stump.

right now i am wearing the iceross 6mm liner with the pin system and no shock system at all, my sockets are made so that all the weight bearing is just below my knee and both of my sockets fit like and old pair of shoes, i have a 3 ply sock on my left one and only the liner on my right one. there are some days that i have to go to a 5 ply on the left and a three ply on the right, there is now abrasions/wounds, just some clauses where i am going down to deep into my socket and need to relieve that area a bit, it doesn't bother me that much so i tend to ignore it and go on with what i have to do, was out in the yard raking leaves to day and pulling weeds, had to have my chair out there with me so that i had something to help me get up and down on my knees.

As far as that wad behind the knee. i get that after i have gotten up and down numerous times and my liner has slipped a bit and when i set down it will pinch me good and then i have to go and redo my liner by taking it off and putting it back on again and that usually takes care of it.

Hope that this has help and if you have any more questions just ask and i will try to answer them to best of my knowledge.

snowbear

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »
I am a LKB and have tried it for 6 months..I was ready to throw it  out the window..It dose not work..For me any way..I hear they are good for AK..