Author Topic: Where to sell a leg I do not want?  (Read 17510 times)

Offline swimbykerun

• View Profile
Where to sell a leg I do not want?
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to sell a prosthetic knee that I do not use? This is not one of those “donate” things. The knee is less than a month old and set me back a fortune. Thanks

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Where to sell a leg I do not want?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
There is probably a few places really. Any online 'shops' might work. Myself I would probably try eBay.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Yep, EBay, or maybe Amazon. Perhaps your prosthetist could put you in touch with a potential buyer.

Sadly, I think you'll find the second-market value of prosthetic components is only a tiny fraction of what they cost new. Back when the original C-Leg was still somewhat new, you could find lightly used units on EBay for something like 10-20% of the "new" price. But I wish you the best of luck nonetheless.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:22:49 PM »
if you l ive in the continetal usa be carefull about selling it, cause i have heard that i t is agianst the law to sell this type of equipment.
you-all have a great day.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
I went on Ebay & checked, they do have prosthetics for sale on there.  The prices were not very high so I don't think you'll be able to recoup too much of the money you spent.  Good luck. annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
I've never heard it being illegal to resell this stuff. There might be something about selling medical equipment, but if you're just selling a knick-knack and not representing it as medical equipment....

A prosthetist can't buy used goods for your leg, but there's no law against bringing him stuff for your own leg. He might refuse to install it, that's a judgment call, not a legal issue. The manufacturer will probably refuse warranty coverage, and may refuse to support it (repair/overhaul) at all. So there are a few things to consider, but nobody's gonna go to jail over it!

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
can relate to you one this but i  would still be carefull. if everything  is on the up and up, i have three sets of legs  that i need to get  rid off.
you-all have a great day.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
I've thought about selling stuff but my Prosthetist told me (if I remember correctly) it was illegal for him to get used parts for my legs. Unless of course you can find an underground or back alley prosthetist  ;D

I ended up donating my old parts, I guess it's not illegal to use them in 3rd world countries.
Thanks! 
_

Offline swimbykerun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the eBay idea. I will list it when I get home. If anyone knows of anyone who wants a 1 month old Genium knee with Triton foot let me know.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 03:08:29 PM »
I've thought about selling stuff but my Prosthetist told me (if I remember correctly) it was illegal for him to get used parts for my legs.

Right, illegal for him, but not for you. You bring your own parts into the shop (however you get them), there's no law says he can't install them for you. He may decline due to personal ethics, but that's his natural right, not the law.

I'm not just making this up, this is from experience.

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Odd isn't it.  There r so many needing help for good prosthetics & they can not receive them from their legman.  What's all this SPRED the wealth around.  Most of the ones that do not have insurance and have to wait probably don't know the first thing about getting them for free!!    :)

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Thanks for the eBay idea. I will list it when I get home. If anyone knows of anyone who wants a 1 month old Genium knee with Triton foot let me know.

You don't like your Genium?  Did you post it on Ebay?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:23:31 PM by Ronan »
Thanks! 
_

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »
Why don't you like the knee?  Did you get to demo it before you paid for it? (By demo I mean wear it for a few days to see if you liked it?)  Did your insurance pay any part of it and was it just a knee or complete leg.  I don't think anyone should get stuck with a knee they can not use., Also if you paid by Credit Card you could dispute and return the knee.  Also is the condition bran new?
Maybe I can get more inf for you.