Author Topic: Any plans for St Patricks Day?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Any plans for St Patricks Day?
« on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
St Patricks Day is saturday. Any mad plans to celebrate?

Myself, I haven't a clue. I've been battling bronchitis for a few weeks and may not be able to go out. So sad.
That, and it seems that its a grand excuse to get a bit mental for some. It can be disappointing as sometimes the hype for a big epic night out makes a good to average night out seem boring! Anyhow enjoy the holiday and have a pint of the black stuff (guinness). I figure I'll be having one!
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
Re: Any plans for St Patricks Day?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
Going to visit my son in Viginia for the weekend.  My husband & I are bringing all the ingredients for a boiled dinner!.  He's in the Navy and misses home cooking.  He & my husband will drink  a lot of beer to celebrate but I don't think it will be green.  My mother-in-law was from Donegal and told me she never had corned beef until she came to this country.  They used a slab of bacon.  Hope you are feeling better and can get out and enjoy yourself this weekend!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
Corned beef would be an american dish. Here in Ireland the bacon and cabbage is a traditional dish. What is called ham in America is called bacon here. What is called bacon in America is called rashers here. When the Irish went to America they found out that pork was more expensive than beef. They changed the traditional bacon and cabbage meal to beef and cabbage possibly because the pork was just too expensive.
I'm sure your mother in law will have great recipes for bacon and cabbage (with spuds and maybe a few parsnips or carrots)

Good to hear the green beer is not on the menu. That always seemed odd to me. If I went to my local and asked for green beer they'd chase me down the road with sticks haha.

I'm not sure what channel it might be on (most likely Sky or cable) but Ireland play England (being played in England) in one of the last matchs of the 6 Nations Rugby Championship on St Patricks Day. It may be a battle for second place (Wales seem set to win the championship) and when ever these two teams face each other its always a grudge match. It should be a brilliant match and might be a good watch on the holiday. C'mon Ireland!!!

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/home.php
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline uScott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »
I thought the traditional Irish bacon was pork belly/side meat, cured, but not smoked like American bacon. Am I misinformed? American ham is typically a wet-cured leg/shank portion.

Me, I'll be braising a nice lean slab of corned beef. It's American, and it's delicious. To be fair, I cook corned beef several times a year anyway. But I'll serve it with a side of colcannon to complement the stewed cabbage and onions, so there's that.

Offline annieg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:15:00 PM »
Love colcannon!  I make a boiled dinner with a smoked shoulder a couple of times a year.  It doesn't have to be a holiday!  annieg
He who limps, still walks.

Offline Ronan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:00:17 PM »
Corned beef and cabbage if we can find it on sale and I gotta work all weekend so not to much going on for me.
Thanks! 
_

Offline guzzitx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:27 AM »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »
The hams here are usually not cured. Or at least that has been my experience. Most often its boiled but during christmas baked ham is common, maybe that ham is cured. (I don't know myself, I've never really baked a ham.)

Corned beef is over here as well and seemed to be more common around Paddys Day. I don't know if its for americans living over here or if the irish who lived in the states acquired a taste for it and brought it back. I think its lovely if thinly sliced and in a sandwich!