Author Topic: One of those days  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
One of those days
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:14 PM »
Today, I think the clutch went on my Defender (landrover) my main mode of transport. I have an 1972 BMW but it needs a mechanic, the horses are too wild to ride, my bike may have a puncture and the dog is too small to hold my weight.

Looks like I'm walking. On a good note I can kayak to the local shop which is fun (if it were summer that is).

To top it all off I just paid off my credit card. I feel that I may have to break it out again.

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline ann

• View Profile
Re: One of those days
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
Yuk!  Don't U just hate it when something is paid in full and now it's not gonna' get the rest it needs   ;)

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Hi Steve

sorry to hear about your clutch problem. It is not a very difficult job to change a clutch yourself. A transmission jack makes the job pretty easy. I do not have one myself but have rented one when I was changing a big truck clutch or transmission. For small transmissions like yours I use 2 small jacks set on a flat dolly. You need to work on a good flat floor so you can roll the transmission around.

I just got some good news about my prosthesis. I had damaged the pylon on my c-leg at the rotator for the foot. I was told it might cost several thousand dollars to fix. Otto Bock is fixing it free on warranty which I had been told had just ran out.
good luck
Herb
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:39:24 AM by herb »

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
Great news on your leg Herb. Good to see that Otto Bock took care of you.

It looks like the clutch may be fine but that the pressure plate or master cylinder may be faulty. Some things I can do myself but I am nortorious for either not be able to get it back together or if I do, having spare parts. I think I might leave it to the professionals!haha
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline stinker373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »
That sucks about the clutch, but the kayak sounds good hehehehe.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
Hi Steve =

It would be great news if it was your master cylinder that was no good. That is a very easy repair.

I got my c-leg back this week and it is great to be back on it. They replaced several parts including the shell which was also cracked. It looks and feels brand new again. Otto Bock asked my prosthetist how badly  I had been injured when it failed.
Herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
haha, I can actually kayak to the local shop!

It looks like its the pressure plate on the jeep. I was starting to think it was me and it doesn't do it all the time! My problem now is to find the right fella to do the job. One neighbor recommended a local man. The other friend streered me away from him. I don't know who to pick. I do know that the dealership will charge 'an arm and a leg' which may leave me legless! haha

Offline ann

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:37 PM »
Yikes  !!  I sure hope not.