Author Topic: A angry leg  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: A angry leg
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
Thanks everybody.

I just may try your trick on making the liners last longer Jack. Thats one of the great things about the site here, learning little tricks from others!

I sometimes think that I may not be pinsystem material. My first one was years ago. I got it from the NHS (national health service) but I never wore it. It was very painful so I just kept wearing the old one. Looking back I wonder if I were even putting it on right! When I went for this new leg, he seemed to really to enthusiastic about his ideas about the thin pin liner and socket. His ideas were because I am so active he would make me a very responsive leg (of course now I have had to adjust my life to fit the leg and I'm not near as active with work or fun). Even with me being very careful with lining it up just right at the end of the day it just didn't suit me. He's a great fella and limbfitter and maybe it was worth a shot but you can't win them all.

If I go for a visit Herb I would need some thing organised. In the house, Guinness, Jameson and a list of all the unmarried women in your area. Haha. Might as well mix business with pleasure.
Are sore spots a routine thing for you? If so we seem to be in the same boat to some degree.

I'm actually feeling optimistic about my hopeful new leg. The suspension sleeves I've been using with my new limbfitter aren't the alpha sleeves but from endolite (black on the inside). The alpha sleeves cost between double or triple the price but the endolite don't last. The socket cuts through the liner knee pretty quickly. I had the edge of the socket lined and I'm almost thinking of making a flap using strong cloth that is taped to the socket and adds one more layer to grind through.

I meet the limbfitter tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline herb

• left above knee amputee New Hampshire USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
Hi Steve

we can arrange all your needs. We have all the brews you requested. We may even have some you might like better. I drink Sam Adams Double bock which for me is similar but much smoother than Guinness.

The are lots of beautiful woman around.

When I was a younger I had problems with sores on my stump, especially in hot weather when I was especially active. I know when to stop now and avoid most of the problems.

Hope all goes well with your limbfitter appointment.
herb

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:17 PM »
I've had the the double Bock by Samuel Adams. Its nice for a something different but Guinness is near and dear to my heart (or is it my liver). Tradition!

The appointment went good today. She seems nice and seems that she knows her stuff. She suggested herself that need a new socket. She wanted to stay with the thin liner and put in a cushin pad, but I opted for the same liner I was wearing with the old leg and including one cotton sock for good measure. She cast my leg and I should have the socket on Monday!

She kept the leg (for parts I assume (foot etc) and she had me keep the sleeve. It wasn't returnable so I get a very expensive souvenier. To be honest the pin liner and the leg itself came all in one price so I never really knew how much the liner was. She said it cost me "E700 (euro) which in US currency is about $900. I had no idea. The alpha liner as I remember seem to come in at around E300.

I also asked if there was a way to make the foot not so stiff. To be honest I forget what foot it is but as I do remember there wasn't any elastomers to change out (I remember it resembled a C leg but with a bottom plate creating a heel) so maybe adjusting it is impossible. The ground where I am is very lumpy/stoney and if I had a euro for everytime stepping on a stone tried to make my knee bend the wrong way...

Where ever I go, I'll always have one foot in Ireland   /   I'm not a complete fool. Some parts are missing.

Offline Joe A.

• Malama Pono
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
 8)Steve
 Yes we are in the same boat only some of us can lean on the helm while some are stuck sculling like a slave from one of those Charlton Heston kine. The best advice I can offer is to stay away from Alpha. Nothing can take the place of a good fit
Private discussions regardless of topic are welcome by writing to kapunui@windstream.com

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
Hey Joe! Not a fan of the alpha? Why so? (I like to all the pros and cons regarding liners). I went with the alpha as it was what I was wearing on the only leg that didn't cause me problems. But then, maybe it was just the socket or even just the thickness of the liner. What liner would you suggest that is 6mm? I'm fairly locked into the 6mm liner now as the leg is near finished now and I just think I need the padding.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
joe a and steve, am going to have to disagree with you on ALPHA LINERS, am currently wearing ALPHA MAX LARGE 9MM and have had real good luck with them on fit and lasting me for some time, my last pair lasted me for almost three years before i wore a hole in them right on the end of my tibula bone, just recieved four new ones but they ordered the wrong one so i am having to take them back and have them order the right ones ALPHA MAX 9MM. ALPHA  also makes a 6mm for i have four of them laying on my pool table right now that are going back.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:55:27 PM by pegleg jack »
you-all have a great day.

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 02:22:54 PM »
Hmmm, this is really interesting thread, I have a fairly new leg (7months old) and have gone thru 5 Alpha liners in that 7 months!!!  Yes, you read that right 5 liners.  Despite my cp doing everything he can to try and relieve the pressure behind my knee all 5 of the liners start showing wear behind the knee within days of starting to wear them.  Actually I don't ever feel any pain behind the knee with regards to the socket, I just start seeing the white color where the liner is breaking down and then it starts to deteriorate and then within the week there are actual holes in the silicone and then comes the pain as my skin gets sucked out thru the hole, and that pain can be very uncomfortable.

My limb seems to have become very bony all of a sudden (my amp was 12 yrs ago) and after reading the above I now believe maybe I won't be able to get away with the 6 mm Alpha anymore, although now that I think about it, I have always had a problem with Alpha liners wearing thru.

At one time my cp switched me over to Iceross and the liner was seriously indestructable, but despite it having these lines/waves manufactured in behind the knee which were designed supposedly to make bending the knee easier it was still very bulky (the liner was very thick), my biggest problem with it though was that evidently they don't make the Iceross with a small distal umbrella, my liner was kind of straight up and down not tapered and it had a huge umbrella where the pin was attached and with my tapered limb there was a load of air space  down out the bottom where the liner did not follow the shape of my limb, so that was when I was switched back to Alpha.

My insurance has reluctantly agreed to the cost of another casting for a new socket and I am on the lookout for a new type of liner as I have said to my cp I will never agree to have another Alpha.  I don't consider myself to be hard on the liner but I do live a normal life and if the Alpha liner can't stand up to everyday walking and a bit of housework then I am not sure how they stay in business, especially at the outrageous price they charge.

Steve, I also have a difficult like you were talking about, mine is a small fold of skin along the scar line.  When they did my amp they wrapped the skin from the back of my calf up around the front where the stitches were.  Right along the stitch line I have like a pucker in the skin where it inverts when my liner is on.  It only gives me grief when I have been really active or gone on a marathon length walk and then it becomes swollen, red and sometimes blistered.  For me the only way I can take away the discomfort is to smear a small dab of vaseline on the area before donning the liner, it seems to stop any tugging or shear forces on the skin but whatever you do only use the smallest of dabs because you don't want to interfere with the ability of the silicone to adhere to the rest of the stump holding it snug.  Probably something you have already tried but thought I would mention it just in case you haven't.

anne F

Offline Steve C

• the west of Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »
You wore through 5 Alpha liners in 7 months? Impressive. Where they the green ones or the gold ones? The gold ones are stronger. The makers of Alpha liner should hire you as some sort of test pilot for any new liners. Alphas are the only liners (so far) that I haven't had a problem with. Of course I have only tried four (three being variations of alphas). Alphas (green), Alpha Max (gold), Alpha pin and Icecross pin.

Myself, I was referred to their 'problem solver' after my limbfitter went overseas. She made a leg that has a secondary socket make of some sort of orange dense molded foam. I assume to make alterations easier but not having to alter the actual socket. I have my new leg now and it was made to accomodate the alpha max and two socks. I had asked for the socket to accomodate the liner and one sock but I think she forgot. I figured I could live with it and save her from making in the outer socket again. The extra padding may be needed anyhow.
I have another appointment, this week I think, after wearing it for 2 weeks. There is pain that needs to be addressed (around the fibula and the left edge of the end of the tibula). It a bit odd to be wearing the old leg and the new leg during the day. The old leg's foot (blatchford) is worn out and the toes do basically nothing. I've adapted but it has the toe strength of a antique pegleg. The lack of toe strength is something I never even noticed until I put on the new one.

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
Steve I don't know what color I would call my Alpha liner, I guess its a goldy tan flesh type color and its an  Alpha original uniform medium with small umbrella if I remember hearing the cp properly.  I am not sure why the  liners keep breaking down, like I say my socket fit feels fine until the liner is broken thru and then walking is very uncomfortable, I have also tried adding  socks to see  if I am too far into the socket as my cp says that some people can actually be too far in and get used that feel and think its ok but its not, but when I add a sock I get feel totally uncomfortable.
My cp actually added a leather patch trying to lift me forward away from the back where the liners wear but it has been a disaster.  He added the patch a month ago, a day or so before I was headed down to Scottsdale Arizona to attend the Barrett Jackson car show.  We got down there and walked around the first day and I developed the biggest sore I have ever had (about the size of an american nickel) the sore is on side of my knee to the outside of the front and I have been nursing it for a month, trying to get it to heal, it totally ruined my holiday.
That idea of Jacks to use the Locktite liquid glue sounds great, I would like to try it, Jack where did you buy the glue?

Anne F.

Offline pegleg jack

• pegleg jack
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
anne, i get it from HOME DEPOT, and for your liners wearing out behind your knee, i had that problem for a while and had them cut the back of my liner down to where it was not bunching up my skin and liner and then rubbing on the socket, i wear mine out on the end where my tibual bone is and it pionts out and wears and rubs on my socket and after about 6 months to a year i have a hole in it where the  cloth has worn away, and question have you tried a half sock to take up the space at the end of your limb or stump. Have done that on occasion and it works, what we do it take a two or three ply sock and cut to wear it is only about three inchs long and depend on if i am wearing a sock or not, i will put inside my liner or if i have a sock on will put it inside my sock.  My new liner are the ALPHA ORIGINALS 9mm. OHIO WILLOW WOOD, is trying out a new cloth on the liners havenot wore them as of yet, still have one set of the old ALPHA MAX 9 MM left to wear out before i use them. and all of them are a tan color. even the new ones. ANNE hope that this has helped you out.
you-all have a great day.

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
Actually I think my cp told me that the last liner I wore thru was a new material for Alpha and they were hoping it would last longer but we had a good laugh when for me it actually wore thru  little bit faster.  I have also tried every combination of socks and 1/2 socks and nothing seems to help.
A lot of my problems stem from the fact that my limb is still atrophying, who new that 12 years since my amp and this would still be happening.  The minute I get a new leg I feel great and get really active and then lose weight and lose the fit again.

anne f.

Offline pin-hi

• cool, clear water
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 02:44:43 AM »
I'm currently using custom liners on both legs made by Otto Bock. Prosthetist takes casting of your residual limb, (stump), and sends the casting to Otto Bock. They then manufacture the liner to match the casting. They are very durable and comfy but I don't know if they do them for pin system liners.
pin-hi

Offline anne f.

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:51 PM »
I noticed that they had some very reasonably priced Alps liners listed on e Bay the other day, anyone ever tried the Alps liner?

anne f.

Offline chrysochloridae

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »
Hi all, really interesting to read through this thread.

On the Alpha liner front; they aren't durable at all - but they've always said that hey are made for comfort not durability! 5 Alpha liners in 7 months is pretty impressive by anyone's standards; Good work ann! LOL
Alpha liners are particularly bad when using Locking liners as they don't have a stabilizing matrix to re-enforce the end of the liner (hence for years Alpha liners were renowned int he industry for the end attachment/umbrella tearing off the liner)

Alpha have released 2 new types of liners the HYBRID and the SILICONE. The Hybrid is the same gel with Kevlar additive to increase durability (i've found them to be about 25% more durable than the standard Alpha Classics (Max, Spirit, Original); the Hybrid is retrofittable into existing Alpha liner 6mm sockets.

The Alpha Silicone liner is  meant to be their heaviest duty liner yet,  I'm currently trialling 2 heavy duty users on them - i shall keep everyone informed

The Hybrid and Silicone liners also have some nice features (flexible panel for the knee, Accordion (flexible) umbrella) - check out WillowWood's website for more info

Alps liners are about half as durable as Alphas; they are good on comfort but poor on durability and terrible for controlling pistoning!

Alpha also have a Custom service like Otto Bock. My preference are the Bock liners overall - super durable, nice and comfortable, do exactly what they claim to do (typically German designed equipment - efficient and functional but costs a little more! - saying that all of Otto Bocks liners are cheaper than even the most basic Alpha (Otto Bock SiliconeGel = 300E, $400USD)

Offline Dolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:34 AM »
Hi,  I agree with fit and alignment being the most important.  If your socket hurts while it is being made you should not even think of accepting it.  I made the mistake of paying my copay and ended up with legs I could never wear and ended up donating all the components.  You should stay in a check socket until it fits and no pain, also do not let your insurance company get charged for something you can never wear.  If more people would do this, more amputees are more likely to get a leg that fits and is contort able to wear all day.  Remember of course once you have a permanent prosthetic that is good and you have been wearing it, if you gain or lose weight you will probably have to have socket modifications made or a new socket.
As far as liners are concerned, a liner should fit your residual limb like it was made for it, some of us do not fit an "off the shelf liner" and require a more custom approach and their are many companies that do that and more are coming out with them.  Also liners do not last forever and should not be used forever because they do stretch and should be replaced.

Hope this helps